Spray paint problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray paint problem

ok so iv been spraying my engine cover and such using Duplicolor Metalcast color red. i primered the cover with white primer. and then i started spraying. i did even light coats. im on my 4th coat and i can still see the deyum primer in some areas and some areas are real dark. i have been using a gentle even hand the whole time. i just feels like some areas wont get covered. should i have sanded it down? i didnt sand it at all. sould i have sanded it after i primed it?! its gonna suck ass if i have to do this all over again.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
How did you prep the engine cover? Sand, clean?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

i was losing daylight so i didnt sand it. i did clean it though. even though i didnt sand, i figured the primer would make up for it. what can i do now? should i just resand the whole thing, re-primer and re-paint? also, is it ok that i used primer from a home improvement store and dnot a automotive store?! thanks NSX
Old 03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I used a primer specifically for plastic. I would sand it down really well. Take a rag soaked in isopropyl alcohol and rub the entire surface down and let it dry. Don't touch the piece with your hands, the oils will prevent the paint from bonding.

Find a nice, dry, dust-free area that is above 50 degrees and paint away. Remember, the more light coats the better.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

so i went to autozone today and asked the person working there. he told me this: since i used white primer, the red was not showing up because its two base colors. he gave me a grey primer and said it woul work alot better. is this correct? i re-sanded the thing, and primered it with grey primer. now im gonna repaint it with another type or red paint. HOPEFULLY THIS WORKS!!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:12 AM
i

shouldn't u use a red primer? neway, i kno the Duplicolor Metalcast paint is specifically for chrome and metal surfaces, but if u plan to use it on anything else u should buy the Metalcast ground coat to get a really shiny look. Im thinking about redoing my cover with red metalcast paint, take pics when ur done
Old 03-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by moahdriven
shouldn't u use a red primer? neway, i kno the Duplicolor Metalcast paint is specifically for chrome and metal surfaces, but if u plan to use it on anything else u should buy the Metalcast ground coat to get a really shiny look. Im thinking about redoing my cover with red metalcast paint, take pics when ur done

oh really? ahh well, im going a different route now. im just using regular red spray paint. maybe if i dont like it, one day ill come back and do it with metalcast.

another STUPID PROBLEM: last night i was up till 3 am priming and sanding. this morning i wake up, open my sliding door and see scratchs and bite marks all over the cover. SQUIRRELS were all over the thing and beat the hell out of it. now i gotta re-sand, re-prime. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH