Sportshift driving me nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 09:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sportshift driving me nuts.

Ok, I'm probably the only one but I think the sportshift is backwards. I pull back to upshift, push forward to downshift. This is natural for me and I can't seem to break my habit. Unfortnatly, Honda beleives you should push forward to upshift, and backward to downshift. I'm guessing there are some switches below that plate that a triggered when the switchgear is pushed or pulled, switches connected to a harness with most likely identical plugs. I'm hoping I can dig in there and swap plugs from one side to the other. I don't care if the + actually means downshift and the - now means upshift on the baseplate. I've searched the forums and cannot find anyone else suffering from my apparent dyslexia so I'll understand if no-one actually has an answer. But if anyone has had this area apart already, any insight you might as to the feasability of my plan would be helpful.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Astroboy has his reversed and I think ElegantTL-S has also done the same
Old 01-02-2003, 09:54 PM
10th Gear

Paging Astroboy and ElegantTL-S to thread number 50895 please, Astroboy and ElegantTL-S to thread number 50895.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Cruisin'

Re: Sportshift driving me nuts.

Originally posted by trouser chili
Ok, I'm probably the only one but I think the sportshift is backwards. I pull back to upshift, push forward to downshift. This is natural for me and I can't seem to break my habit. Unfortnatly, Honda beleives you should push forward to upshift, and backward to downshift. I'm guessing there are some switches below that plate that a triggered when the switchgear is pushed or pulled, switches connected to a harness with most likely identical plugs. I'm hoping I can dig in there and swap plugs from one side to the other. I don't care if the + actually means downshift and the - now means upshift on the baseplate. I've searched the forums and cannot find anyone else suffering from my apparent dyslexia so I'll understand if no-one actually has an answer. But if anyone has had this area apart already, any insight you might as to the feasability of my plan would be helpful.
I'm with you! When I use the SS, I have to really think about which way to push the stick when upshifting and downshifting. I don't know why I think it should be reversed - I've never driven another car with SS for any length of time.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

well i used to have a manual car and honestly, it makes sense either way....

with bmws it is UP for downshifting and DOWN for upshifting.... makes sense right? u go from 1st to 2nd and get ur power so u shift by moving DOWN

with acura its reversed... makes sense this way too:

suppose ure on the highway and ure cruising and u get the urge to utilize the VTEC power... u throw it into SS and then DOWNSHIFT to get ur power.... if u are driving at 65 , then going to 3rd shud easily give u the power u need to just drive by everyone

confusing but makes sense to me either way
Old 01-03-2003, 07:22 AM
6th Gear

Actually, in CART race cars, they use a sequential gearbox that is up (forward) for downshifts and down(back) for upshifts. That's probably why BMW does it that way. I think F1 uses paddle shifters.

My guess is the reasoning is that when you are approaching a curve and downshifting, those race cars are experiencing tremendous braking g's and pushing the lever forward is easier then? Just a guess.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:31 AM
10th Gear

F1 is practically a fully automatic dry clutch system today, although they do also have paddles. However most WRC drivers also prefer a forward-downshift backward-upshift style as well.

Also in an aeroplane you pull back to go up, push forward to go down.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Like fahoumh said... a few people have reversed it. I believe you just have to reverse something in the ECU to change it up.

Personally I think it makes sense... you push up to upshift and down to downshift. I'm not sure that pushing down to upshift makes much sense... but I guess everyone has their own groove when they're driving.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Forward = GO = MORE SPEED = NO BRAKING
Backward = STOP = MORE POWER = FULL BRAKING

Using that analogy, ACURA SS System makes absolute sense. If you have operated a modern day Universal Japanese Motorcycle, you'll get the hang of it reall quick.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:34 PM

Acura SS System totally makes sense. If you want to go up a gear you shift up and you wan to down a gear you downshift.

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Mr_@yahoo.com
Old 01-04-2003, 01:23 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was confused at first also. But afer a while, you will get use to it.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:23 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man, this is a big topic...

At the BMW forums, they wish it was Up for + and down for -, the opposite of what they have. and we want what they have. hey, why dont we just call them all and offer to trade cars??? Hell, ill take a 540i, M3, M5, or a nice 7 series in trade for my TL eheheh
Old 01-04-2003, 05:01 PM
10th Gear

Really I guess it just boils down to personal preference. I'm still looking for information regarding how to change mine. I'm not getting used to it.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
why don't you PM Astroboy or ElegantTL-S to find out?
Old 01-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Advanced

Wink nope

CART style is correct.

the way it works is this...

when you're accelerating... which way is your body moving? your body is pushed backwards into the seat... so upshifting by pulling the lever backwards makes upshifting to the next gear more of a natural motion...

accelerate, body moves backwards, arm can move backwards as well to upshift to next gear

vice versa... sportshift gives the ability to downshift to utilize engine braking.

during braking, which direction does your body move? forward. taking that natural motion, downshifting for engine braking and getting your car into the right gear to powerout is more natural by pushing the shift lever forward.