Son bought 1999 TL - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 07:55 PM
You can turbo anything

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you live quiche? If you are in GA he is fine. I have a 99TL with 5% all around. Dark as hell but I got used to it. My dad has gone through some crazy cars with me. I once bought an 88 bronco for $7000 and had to end up giving it to the junk yard after putting way too much into it. Sounds like me and my dad are a lot like you and your son. It has been just him and me since I was 10, and I am now 22. He freaked at first with my vehicles, but he has grown to trust my judgement and realize that theres much more in life and that this is just one of my hobbies. I do some crazy things when it comes to cars. Just tell him that if he makes the wrong decision he's walkin. And who knows, maybe he DID do his research without mentioning it to you. This might have been something he was planning for a while. Just look at the big picture, and realize that it's just a car. You are lucky tho that he got a 99TL with actually low miles, and not an 88 Bronco-lol. The car will last and ya'll will be fine. Just my .

Good Luck
Old 02-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by quiche_97
My son - 19 - did an unresearched purchase of a 1999 3.2 TL (yea, I know, stupid but what can I say). Car is in nice shape and he got it for a decent price, but......no vehicle history. I was angry and am doing research and seeing all these transmission problems posted! I did a VIN lookup and there's no bad history that I can see. However, this car has 75K miles on it and I have no idea if it was ever brought in for recalls, etc. My mechanic didn't find anything blatantly wrong with it. Is the 7 year, 100K warranty from Acura applicable to this car or would he had to buy it from a dealer? Is that warranty only for certain year cars? Do I need some kind of paperwork? What in heavens name happens if his transmission goes (besides pay a fortune to get it fixed). Any advice welcome.

LG
Don't worry. Your son's car is covered until 100,000 miles or 7 years on the transmission. Acura won't charge a penny to change it, because it's a widespread problem. Having said that, the '99 TL's 4-speed transmission is not as severely affected by the transmission failure as the '00-'03 is. When they redesigned the transmission they slapped on the 3rd gear on the side, and seems to be experiencing problems from poor quality/finish on the 3rd gear clutchpack.

The 2nd gear in the '99 is still affected by the lubrication problem, but the recent recall for the oil jet kit should be able to remedy that.

For now, take the car to the dealership or just take the VIN (located by the driver side underneath the windshield, visible from the outside) and have them run a check on it. It will bring up the car's history from the national database, and any major work done to it will show up. If any of the recalls is missing, then have the dealership do it. It won't cost you anything, and they should provide you with a loaner vehicle (may have to set up an appointment for a loaner vehicle in advance).

Other than that, these cars are built pretty well and should last a while. I think your son made a pretty good choice, in my opinion.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Dragging knees in

I have to say, I'm getting pretty nervous about the tints on the car. The tints are so dark. They have to be illegal here. The back windows look nearly as black as the car. The front windows aren't too much lighter. I don't know much about tints but I know the cops here are pretty hard on teen drivers. I think I see alot of tickets coming up. I have now been browsing tint threads (obsessing on tints instead of tranny! LOL!)...I think it will take a while for me to get used to this car.
It will just be a fix-it ticket for the tints. Depending on the state law, all you have to do it just take the tints off, and get the ticket written off by the cop. The ticket will be dismissed. Or, you will have to pay a fine. I don't know the laws in your state.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline

The 2nd gear in the '99 is still affected by the lubrication problem, but the recent recall for the oil jet kit should be able to remedy that.
can't say I have ever heard that...nor did the dealer mention that too me when I got my tranny flushed. From what I have read, there is no way in hell the dealership will put that stupid "oil jet" on my tranny if that is the case - the "fix" doesnt seem to be helping those with the 5 speeds
Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Racer

There is a problem that could occur!!!!! He may pick up more chicks. I'm 17 and as soon as I got my baby my chick #'s went up to a even more crazy number. But my car is my girlfriend so their is hope. LOL I love my car
Old 02-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by ou sig
can't say I have ever heard that...nor did the dealer mention that too me when I got my tranny flushed. From what I have read, there is no way in hell the dealership will put that stupid "oil jet" on my tranny if that is the case - the "fix" doesnt seem to be helping those with the 5 speeds

My brother had my car for a few weeks and got the oil jet installed without telling me. I was kind of pissed off, but what's done is done. Luckily, my transmission is holding up.

You have to get the recall done, otherwise if anything goes wrong, they could deny you warranty coverage based on the fact that you didn't have the required recall performed.

I know it's a bullshit recall and all, but we have no choice. Not getting the recall done would potentially void the transmission warranty.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Boomer SOONER

Are you sure that I have to get that oil jet on??? What does it say on your owners link? It just says that I am covered for the 7 years 100k miles - nothing about having to get anything done.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Dragging knees in

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the recall has to be done on '99-'03 and some '04 TLs.

I don't know, maybe the '99 isn't covered. Check with your dealership.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Boomer SOONER

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the recall has to be done on '99-'03 and some '04 TLs.

I don't know, maybe the '99 isn't covered. Check with your dealership.
I have the tranny warranty extension on the Owners link, but it looks like I have another recall for something else (I put a new thread up) so I will ask about the oil jet when I go in for the other work. Untill then, Ill be happy that I have the 4 speed!

the perfect 2nd gen TL - '99 TLS!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
this should become just an information thread.. its just loaded with really helpful information for people that just purchased a used/new second gen TL! haha, just change the thread name and sticky it! damn. just reading through the whole thing.. i found out alot about my car that i never even thought about! good stuff
Old 02-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Dragging knees in

I have the tranny warranty extension on the Owners link, but it looks like I have another recall for something else (I put a new thread up) so I will ask about the oil jet when I go in for the other work. Untill then, Ill be happy that I have the 4 speed!

the perfect 2nd gen TL - '99 TLS!
The perfect 2nd gen TL would be a TL Type-S with a 6-speed, LSDs, and AWD. Damn FWD's.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Cruisin'

...I don't know the laws in your state.
I'm in NY near the city. Thing is, they stop you for something like tints and then see you are a kid and slam you with other tickets. Very rarely do you get just one ticket, even if you didn't do anything wrong.

I did look at the DMV website and if I read it right, the rear windows and back windshield can be as dark as you want. The driver and front passenger windows have to be 30% (and front windshield but I don't think anything was done to that).

How much is it to have tints removed/redone? Anyone know? I would hope that if we had to do that it would only have to be the front 2 door windows.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Cruisin'

I hope folks are still reading this thread...I have another question! I just found out that the keys are "chipped" meaning you can't just copy the key or something. I have to get an extra set made. I guess I will call a dealer and talk about this. I hope they can get one and "program" it for the car? I don't understand this technology but if anyone has had that experience (needing another keyset)...any info would be appreciated!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Cruisin'

One good thing is that the warranty on the tranny was not used yet. There is only one outstanding recall on the car - something about electronic XXX. Like if the car is in park the car can roll? OH...and one more thing for buyers of these used cars...if you don't have the old owner id/pw info, you can't change the owner link to use it (even if you go through the customer service w/title). They don't have this capability yet??? He told me to call back in a few months, they will be adding that capability in the future. ARGH!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Advanced

tl

Smart kid, good mother I would just tell him to watch his speed have the oil changed, and let him wash, and wax the car every week.<lol> Then "borrow" iy every once in a while as a parental perrogative . Enjoy
Old 02-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Talking

This thread is great! Only one comment after reading them all - i wish my mom was technically saavy. I have no doubt in my mind she has never heard of the term "online forum" or what you do in one. hehe

Also, he made a good choice on the TL purchase, i agree like everyone else it should not be a problem in the long run. Shoot, technically that was two comments huh? Damn!
Old 02-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Liftedoff420
THE FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO IS TO GET YOUR SON UP ON THIS SITE

im also 19 and if i didnt use this website i would have sure bought a shitty TL with tranny problems and no warranty

now im driving a clean 2000 with around 8k left on the warranty, your son is actually luckier than me cus he has a nice 25k still under warranty

im pretty knowledgable about my car and everyone here is pretty helpful

plus hes gonna learn how sick these cars can be made

These cars are sick without mods! I love my TL with or without mods..... now if I could only win the jackpot and buy a new one! LOL

As far as the transmissions are concerned on the 99s, I have one, and had mine replaced at 98,000 miles. I drove the living hell out of that car for a good 20K miles before the tranny blew. I wanted to blow it so I could get a new one. It took a lot of work and time to actually damage the tranny. I wouldn't worry about it. if he drives it normally, he probably wont have a bit of trouble with it. Definately tell him to come on the board here so he can "maximize his TL experience." LOL
Old 02-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Boomer SOONER

that is...interesting...what did you do to finally kill it? Just haul ass in 2nd gear all the time?
Old 02-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Racer

At the same time you probably had to replace your motor mounts!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
that is...interesting...what did you do to finally kill it? Just haul ass in 2nd gear all the time?

Yea.... basically... that and harsh downshifting. I could feel that it wasn't performing well anyways, so I was just tryin to accelerate the process. It worked out beautifully, and 2K miles short of warrenty expiration. Now I've got 30K on this new tranny, and it drives like a brand new car. No more crazy shit though.... I baby this one.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Boomer SOONER

haha that is a good idea, I have thought about it myself I have 84k now, so who knows.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Dragging knees in

I'm in NY near the city. Thing is, they stop you for something like tints and then see you are a kid and slam you with other tickets. Very rarely do you get just one ticket, even if you didn't do anything wrong.

I did look at the DMV website and if I read it right, the rear windows and back windshield can be as dark as you want. The driver and front passenger windows have to be 30% (and front windshield but I don't think anything was done to that).

How much is it to have tints removed/redone? Anyone know? I would hope that if we had to do that it would only have to be the front 2 door windows.
I guess NY could have their own law stating that the rear two windows and the rear windshield could be as dark as you want.

But it's a Federal law that only vehicles that fall under the truck category could have dark limo tints on the back windows. That's why you never see limo tints from the factory on "cars", but almost all SUV's and some station wagons based on a truck chassis come with limo tints on the rear windows.

Best way to do it is to ask a tint shop. They know the laws, and most of them usually bend those laws. In Michigan, "cars" cannot have tints that are darker than something like 35% on the rear windows, and 6 inches from the top on the front windows. However, the shop that did my car had no problem tinting all the windows. They just don't care.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Cruisin'

I think that's what I will do. Tint place not far from here and I know the guy. Ask him how in S&**&t we could be. Get the story and go from there. But his windows are REALLY dark. They are not legal. I know that.

Best way to proceed is know where you stand and go from there. Thanks PureA....