Some Rookie Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Rookie Q's

Sorry for the stupid questions but this is my first TL and I'm trying to learn as much info as possible. I'm a 5.0 Mustang guy, so if you guys have any Q's for me maybe I can help you out...
Well, here's a few to start...

1) I want to upgrade my TL-S to at least 18x7.5 wheels. The Dealer told me this could mess up the Traction Control. Is this true? What is the widest tire that works with this size wheel?

2) I know an "A-Spec" is Canada only, but what the heck is a TL-SSM? I have a TL-S, but can't seem to figure this out.

3) What is the BEST way to shift the TL-S while drag racing? Just put it in D5 Auto or with the Manual? I can't seem to notice that much difference, but then again, I haven't really driven the car hard since I only have about 700 miles on it.

4) What is the attraction to debadging? I can see doing it to a Honda Civic or PT Cruiser, but If you paid for an ACURA 3.2 TL, don't you want people to know what it is? I even bought an extra Type-S badge and put on the dash. IMO it looks real good.
I took the 5.0 badges off my GT, but replaced them with the Running Pony to make it look more old school, besides, it's a GT, you know there's a V8 under the hood.

Thanks for any info.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:44 PM
Illusion Lighting

SSM= satin silver metallic paint.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:44 PM
Illusion Lighting

SSM= satin silver metallic paint. And the best color choice on a TL if I do say so myself. Anyone care to second that?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:51 PM
President Team Lilirish

first off let me welcome u to the site.

1)people have put 18x7.5 on there cars, if u do a search u will be able to read up on what they think, or atleast get there username and pm them.http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ghlight=wheels

2)a TL-SSM i'm assuming is a stock tl with the color ssm(satin silver metalic i believe)thats they only thing that makes sense to me

3)Drag racing is against the law. remember ur not driving the 5.slow ur driving a tl which is luxury. but to answer ur question i don't think it makes much of a difference if ur doing a straight race. in d5 it will still shift around redline. if u start to race at 20mph it would be better off starting of with the tiptronic

4)why do people debadge their mb or bmw, it just gives ur car a cleaner look. anyone with a general knowledge about cars know the difference of a tl-p and a tl-s just by looking at the wheels
Old 06-10-2003, 02:41 AM
Instructor

here's totally my 2 cents to your questions...

1. the TCS or ASC is already messed up in the first place, ( No matter what you do, it just give you more understeer and slowing down... uhh, I think i can do better by let off the gas.), by putting bigger wheels & tires might messed up the system, so, just shut that dam* thing off.

2. see_fu , ABP is better than SSM

3. there's a lot of debate over Gate shift and Sport shift for straight line performance at this forum, go ahead and do some searching. Bottom line is that would be hard(should I say abusive??) for our fragile transmission ( no matter you torque-brake it or not.)
You should buy a mustang or some old chevy pos for drag race. TL and TL-S weren't create for that, drag at your own risk if you decided to get some humiliations...

4. Debadging is only one of the many ways to modify your ride for individualism, hell, if everyone start putting the Inspire letters on their trunk, people will find something else to put on it.
Have you ever seen those people putting a GT-R badge on their mustang?? He's telling everyone how much a fool he is.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the info guys. I guess if SSM is Satin Silver Metallic, I have a ABP. Anyway, I don't plan on drag racing my TL-S, but I don't think I'll ever let 260HP got to waste. As for the Mustangs with GT-R badges, it not only makes me laugh, but angry. There is no such thing. There is a GT, and there is a Cobra R.
People have the right do what they want to their cars, but I always feel that they should be knowledgable, and show a sense of history. I think the idea of putting Honda badges on a TL is cool because it IS a Honda, but when you see these idiots running around with GS400 badges on their GS300, or 330i's on an obvious 325 they need to be smacked. Now those are cars that should be DEbadged.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Re: Some Rookie Q's

Seems like you got most of the answers, but I want to chime in anyway

1) Check my sig for a link to my site... I'm running 18"x7.5" rims with 225/45ZR18 tires lowered on an H&R Sport drop with no problems... traction control seems to work fine.

2) I'm not going to answer this again

3) I've only been to the track once just to see what the car could do.. and I used SS. In fact I use SS 100% of the time while driving. So much more fun

4) As mentioned above, debadging is a way to personalize your vehicle. Personally, I debadged my car so the TypeS emblem wouldn't get stolen. Also, by removing the 3.2TL TypeS it balances out the rear of the car since there are no emblems on the left of the trunk.

BTW, welcome to the board
Old 06-10-2003, 08:32 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
1> If you do not lower your car, 235/40/18's should work fine...I've seen 245/35/18's work as well...225/40/18 is about standard. As far as the TCS, the TCS will work regardless of your wheel choice but it's sensors are designed for slippage from the sotck set up...The computer will get wrong info, but it works...Example: Drove in heavy downpour Friday night at 75mph and hit a pocket of water that was way deep on the interstate (had cruise on), the car began to hydroplane but the TCS kicked in...I did have to turn off the cruise but all was cool...
2>SSM is the designation for silver TL-S's of Super Slaying Machine...It's faster than the other colors...
3>The best way to shift is gate shifting for an instant shift...I wouldn't make a habit of it, though...For normal street use, use SS...
4>Personal choice...I like my emblems just the way they are--and Type-S on the fenders!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Some Rookie Q's

Originally posted by juniorbean
Also, by removing the 3.2TL TypeS it balances out the rear of the car since there are no emblems on the left of the trunk.
As some of you might remember, my TypeS badge was ripped off a while ago. So I decided to take off the 3.2TL emblem too. Well, after going the clear out look for awhile, I don't really like it. It never grew on me. ckNJ was nice enough to send me his Type-S emblem since he went with the debadge look. I can't let it go to waste. I agree with juniorbean that with the 3.2TL TypeS all clumped up to the right side is causing an imbalanced look. So, I decided to put the 3.2TL on the left side and the Type-S emblem on the right side. Looks pretty good. IMO, it's doesn't look rice either. No flames pls. It's now more even looking at my car from the back.

axleback