So which rumors of the new '04 TL are true?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 12:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
So which rumors of the new '04 TL are true?

I'm hearing that the 280hp number is correct, is this true?

If so, that's not such a big increase in hp ... but then again, I'd need to see the torque/hp curve to see where and when the power comes in ..

Many people say that headers will give you 30, but only up high ...
Old 06-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its not a big increase but when u consider 280 will be the standard, i think its huge from the 225baseline right now.

the new TL is shorter, different styling, 8inch navi screen. theres a lot more but the stuff u want to hear about is all speculation and rumors right now
Old 06-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

I heard they're going to use there indy car V-8.....just kidding
but really when are there going to swollow there efficency pride and feed america's hunger for overdoing it?
Old 06-16-2003, 12:20 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Re: So which rumors of the new '04 TL are true?

Originally posted by PeterUbers

If so, that's not such a big increase in hp ... but then again, I'd need to see the torque/hp curve to see where and when the power comes in ..

Many people say that headers will give you 30, but only up high ...
Sorry bro. There is only so much (= not much) you can put to a front wheel drive car and still maintaining good handling. If it were a RWD or AWD car, you can put 300 hp, 400 hp to the wheels without any handling problems. The only problem is whether the driver (especially kids) is capable of taming all the horses.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can put 300 hp, 400 hp to the wheels without any handling problems.
Ugh, hate to say, but throttle-induced oversteer IS a handling problem. And, a big one for some people. More people lose control of rear-drive cars than front-drive. So, while technically you are correct, in real-world driving the rules are different.

Here's a front driver with a little more- I'm sure the 4000+ lb weight, and the American-style handling is holding it back a bit- http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...len.xml?page=1

So, while FWD is a problem for high HP, we've not hit a wall with it, yet. And, I, for one, am glad Honda is staying out of the displacement race. I very much like the "we can do it more efficiently" attitude.

Todd
Old 06-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I heard the '04 TL is going to be made by Acura. Comes from a reliable source.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by doopstr
I heard the '04 TL is going to be made by Acura. Comes from a reliable source.
Wow Finally Some Solid Reliable INFORMATION..

THANKS A LOT!

Old 06-16-2003, 05:09 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally posted by T Ho

So, while FWD is a problem for high HP, we've not hit a wall with it, yet. And, I, for one, am glad Honda is staying out of the displacement race. I very much like the "we can do it more efficiently" attitude.

Todd
I don't think Honda will stay out of the displacement race for long if it continue to build bigger and heavier cars, such as the RL, SUV's, and minivans.

Honda is the best engine maker in the world in terms of horsepower output per liter displacement, generated at very high engine rpm. But it still has't been able to generate hugh torque from small engine displacement given all those engine technologies such as VTEC, etc. Only using forced induction can hugh amount of torque be generated from a small displacement. But Honda has been staying away putting turbo and supercharging techniques into North American production cars. So the only way to generate more torque as cars get heavier is to increase the engine displacement. Or until the electric-motor-front-wheels/gas-engine -rear-wheels hybrid model enters into production.

People often overlooked the importance of engine torque. It is very important for heavy, especially automatic, cars, because there is no clutch to dump at high rpm to maintain the peak engine output. It is what determines how fast the heavy car can move off-line and how fast the car can accelerate at low cruising speed.

Take a look at the Honda/Acura TL, MDX, Pilot, and Odyssey. They have been fitted with the 3.2L and 3.5L engines when, at that time, all other Japanese competitors were using 3.0L engines. The first salvo in the displacement war has already been fired a few years ago.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Even if it's getting 300 hp ... it's only gunna be putting 225 to the wheels ... that's not much more than the 200 that are being put down now ...

Torque steer is also a game of 1) axle lengths, even vs. uneven length, 2) power-assisted and torque sensitive steering, 3) how soon the torque is available in your powerband...

W/ the high-revving, high hp Honda engines .. low-end torque steer isn't such a problem w/ the TL-S during moderate to heavy moderate throttle situations...

However, i agree that handling in the corners would severely be dampened by more hp to the front wheels...
Old 06-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: So which rumors of the new '04 TL are true?

Originally posted by PeterUbers

If so, that's not such a big increase in hp
look at the ugly new maxima, 5hp increase, woohoo!!!!!!!!!