So I'm in a bit of a unique situation...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 05:27 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm in a bit of a unique situation...

So, my old TL blew the head gasket after 320k miles. Not 100% sure what happened. But I ended up purchasing another 2000 TL and swapped a few parts and she runs like a dream. No slip on the tranny at 255k.

The engine is likely still good in my older one, minus the head gasket, but the transmission is junk. Plan is to yank parts from the older one and scrap it.

Question is, what are some parts that are good to have? I've already pulled valve covers, upper and lower intake, starter, fuel system including evap and purge valve. Front knuckles, and calipers.suspension is pretty much toast, but im seeing that its easier to drop the whole motor and tranny out the bottom. Plan to keep the whole motor honestly and rebuild it in my spare time in case the new one goes south. Going to yank the interior apart and go after the PCM and cluster, blower motor, and heater core.

I'm sure there's some other parts im not thinking of, anyone got any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2024, 10:04 PM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 165 Posts
Evap system at rear of the car if you have passed a recent smog check. Fuel Pump and filter. Just depends on what you have room to store and if it is something you would change to a used part or rather buy new. You can go through a site like oemacuraparts.com diagrams for each area and see what has been discontinued and save those parts.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:24 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon M
Evap system at rear of the car if you have passed a recent smog check. Fuel Pump and filter. Just depends on what you have room to store and if it is something you would change to a used part or rather buy new. You can go through a site like oemacuraparts.com diagrams for each area and see what has been discontinued and save those parts.

That's a good idea. I pulled the fuel pump to make the new one run already. does the tank need to come down to get at the evap canister? Mostly looking to ease replacement parts. The donor car is an 01 Type-S. Already took the 17"s off and swapped them. Anything else I should look for? Transmission sensors and such are all going to come out, tranny slips and bounces between second and third real bad so i doubt it's worth the save.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:38 PM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 165 Posts
The charcoal canister and associated parts can be reached easily behind and above the rear drivers side wheel area. There is one part that is located on the top of the gas tank, it is an vent shutoff valve. I don't recall ever hearing anyone replacing it and dropping the tank is a royal PITA as you have to take the entire rear end apart. Like I said I would look through the parts diagrams here, and go through each category of parts (on right side of webpage) and look for discontinued items.