small chip on windshiled from rock

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
small chip on windshiled from rock

Can someone tell me how to get rid of the chip from a rock on the windshield? The side of the chip is about size of the tip of the chopstick.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:51 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my car. I was thinking about getting the little Permatex windshield repair kit from Pep Boys.
Anyone use this successfully??
Old 09-05-2002, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried that permatex on my truck windshield before. It filled the chip but it didn't remove the chip look. (maybe chip was too deep). It might depend on how deep the chip is though.

A place where I take my car to get door dings out recommends that you need to do mutiple thin coats with polishing in between to minimize the chip look...anyways I hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:54 AM
Racer

many insurance companies will pay to have the chip filled professionally without raising your rates.

Filled the chip in my windshield and I can see if from the inside, but from the outside looking in, it's not really detectible.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:42 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

Originally posted by medic
many insurance companies will pay to have the chip filled professionally without raising your rates.

Filled the chip in my windshield and I can see if from the inside, but from the outside looking in, it's not really detectible.
I think it'd be pointless to have the insurance do it. Chips here in SD can be professionally fixed for about $50. My deductible is alot more than that.

I think no matter what, once it's there it will always be noticeable from some angle.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by medic

I had a chip on my windshield, and the insurance company repaired it instead of replacing the windshield, and I wasn't charged for repair. It's still noticeable, and he said it would be (but I didn't want to replace the windshield if I didn't have to because I've heard horror stories from that), but at least I knew it wouldn't run.

Unfortunately, even though it didn't cost me anything, when I did have a true accident that was my fault, they considered the chipped windshield repair an accident also and raised my rates substantially, whereas if I hadn't had the windshield repaired by them, my accident wouldn't have raised my rates. You may want to check with your insurance company and make sure you get an understanding off all of the ramifications.