Slow Crank & Type of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow Crank & Type of Gas

Hey guys! Long time viewer, novice poster, but definitely glad to be here

I did a search on this and didn't find anything, so I think I finally have some usefull information to post...

I was at the dealer the other day getting something checked out when the service guy and I got into a conversation about slow cranks. He then told me that recently all the Acura dealers have gotten a notice that there is a problem with Exxon/Mobil gas. Apparently there is a chemical that they use that doesn't agree with our cars.

So for those who use Exxon/Mobil gas and have slow cranks, try a different one!

Hope this helps

Rich
Old 12-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Banned

im also thinking this is true... a few months ago all i used was mobil gas (it was the cheapest around for 93 octane)... that was the only time my car didnt start on the first crank and even before that it always took longer than my brothers '99 tl to start up. a few weeks after that i switched to amoco and never had a problem starting up and it starts up just as quick and smooth as my borthers..
Old 12-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I've never used Mobil in my car (Sunoco exclusively)... but my wife used to. About 4 years ago she switched and she'll never go back to it. Funny thing is that Exxon is fine in her car. She actually had to put some in her car last night b/c the Sunoco was closed. But Mobil does not agree with it at all....
Old 12-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Cruisin'

Lightbulb Slow Crank & Type of Gas

Thanks for this information. I had a concern as well, did not know why. Had plans to visit my dealership after x-mas. I have always used Exxon, becuase I have the EZ-pass and because of the Upromise program. Now I will try to use Amoco premium.

Do you know if this is public knowledge? I'm sure other TL owners would appreciate this information.

Wonderful Find!!

Thanks
Old 12-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Thanks and welcome ParticleMan!
I was actually told to stay away from HESS (not that many in NYC area anyway) station, but then again, that was like 2 months ago, way before Acura received that letter.
THX
Old 12-19-2002, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the welcome Joe!

Hey Honey, what's the Upromise program? I have EZPass also...just wondering if there's some special deal. Couldn't hurt to save a buck!

I guess it's Amoco now for me :p

Rich
Old 12-20-2002, 08:15 AM
Cruisin'

Upromise is a program that will take a percentage of your exxon and other vendor purchases and place the proceds in an account for college savings. That 's why I use Exxon- because of the ezpass and upromise.

From now on, I will use Amoco or Sunoco...Do you think Sunoco Ultra 94, will be to much for the TL?
Old 12-21-2002, 06:28 AM

Sunoco Ultra 94 will be just fine for our cars. I put that in or else Sunoco Super 93. Gas here is so expensive. Ultra 94 goes for about $1.78 and Super 93 goes for about $1.69.

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Old 12-21-2002, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
I have been using Mobil gas for more than 2 years on my CLS, have not had any problems. The only problem I get is during winter when I slow down, the RPMS would drop below 800, and it feels like the car is about to shut down... ( never shutdown yet ).
But this happens only during winter, and only sometimes.... I was told its winter gas additives that do all that....
Old 12-21-2002, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone else think the TL is sensitive to many factors? I mean, you have problems when you use different types of gas, etc. I don't recall any old hondas needing "special treatment" to run. We through any type of gas in our accord and that thing doesn't care.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure if its a problem with the brand of gas you use or not. I have used EXXON,TEXACO, & SHEETZ an off brand quick mart station like WAWA. I only use the 91 or higher octane that is required for our cars. The SHEETZ gas is 93 octane I get that in Southern Maryland. This is my primary gas station for fill -up about 70 miles away from my house. I go to visit my sister every week so this is where I get gas mostly. Its a 20+ pump 24HR quick mini mart. The station is always full except very early mourning. The gas tanker is always in there so the supply of gas is always fresh. Its also way cheaper to buy gas there than in D.C. 30 cents per gal cheaper. But I do get gas from EXXON in the city sometime & have had no problems at all. I got about 10 gallons of EXXON last week here in town & have had no problems
with start-up. In fact I have never had an issue with this in the almost 3year of having the car. I do know for a fact if the TL is very low on gas its hard to start for sure. The day before I picked up my car I went to do some paper work at the dealer. The salesperson told me to start it up. The car was having a hard time starting because it was very low on gas he said. The 1st full tank of gas put in the car was SUNOCO 94 octane. This is the station the salesperson took me to for my 1st full tank of as from ACURA. I have the car dealer serviced & they have put in the BG 44K fuel treatment several times like the 15K & 30K service. I have also done it once myself & have used the BG SUPER CHARGER 2 FUEL TREATMENT about 4 times since having the car.
I have also used a few other name brand additives when the car when the tank was near empty like STP. www.bgprod.com under fuel maintenace services.