situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
situation

my stepdad has a 2002 tl-s with 35k miles on it and is looking at a new car, either a g35 coupe or a new tl. this is happening at the same time that im starting to look for a car; and i have been thinking about keeping the 02 tl-s. he would not give it straight up to me, but i would make payments on it till i get 15/16k and then we would call it even. it has had the brakes done and the trans oil squirter thing done. i just had the windows tinted, and would like to start to mod the car.

i was thinking a intake or catback for now; but mystepdad still drives the car to the trainstation and back ever day and sometimes to the city and back, ect. i also am on limited funds being 16 and not having a job makes things interesting.

i was thinking a cai; but the coolent hose bs kinda scares me away; does anyone have a pic or can they describe what the deal with the coolant hose is? then which cai? ive seen the aem on ebay for 190ish then a icebox for 245.

is the bypass shhit worth it on the aem cai?

thanks
Old 05-14-2005, 11:43 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to AcuraZine!

Congrats on having the use of the TL-S! I'm sure you'll love it.

If you really want my opinion, it would be not to spend more than $100 total on *all* mods to the car *right now* (IF anything at all) since you are already in debt to your stepdad by $16,000!!! That's a whole lot of money you still need to pay off. I wouldn't bother usin' money on too much else aside from paying off the car at this point.

It's prob your first car (seeing as though you most likely just got your license at 16) --- so just enjoy it for what it is! It has more than enough power for you to enjoy and appreciate, it looks great, should be quite reliable, and is comfortable. I think people often lose sight of how nice of a car it is already straight from the factory......it's not that you can't improve it based on your wants or likes, but it's already a great car as is.

Just my

Again, welcome to AZ!
Old 05-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
I agree 100% ^^
I wish I had car like a TL-S for a first car
Good luck with it. Get used to the power it already has.. then worry about upgrades.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was your step dad, and you were making payments to me (while I was making payments on my new car) and also spending money on mods, I wouldn't be too happy, particularly since you have no job. The mods you mention are not cheap, probably a couple of car payments. IMO, the first debt you re-pay is the car.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Intermediate

thanks for the welcome you guys. im in the proscess of getting a job; i have a interview at bestbuy thursday and hopfully that will go well.

i have money put away and my grandma was going to pay for my first car but i told her to just help so i will probilly owe 5-6k all said and done.

my stepdads not in any hurry to collect; but i would rather pay it off fast so i can spend more on mods; or pick up a project car or something.

ive been driving the car since we got it so im kinda use to the power, but vtec still sometimes supprises me

i also dont want people to jump to conclusions about me being a spoiled 16 year old who never has to work for anything and all that shhit; i saved up about 5-6k over the years by mowing lawns, washing cars and saving my allowance lol. the tint was paid for by me as will all mods, payments, and insurance the only thing my parents will cover will be gas and that will only be half. none of you guys have said anything about this but on every forum theres some haters.

ill post up some pics tommorrow after i detail the car.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't think anyone'll jump all over you cuz of your age....I just think it's a waste to put so much money towards mods when you've worked so hard at saving all of that money! How many years, lawns, allowances, and car washes did it take you to save the $5,000-$6,000?! Why not continue saving it? That's a great amount of money that most 16 year olds probably don't even have yet...put it away for better use a few years down the road!

Again...only my
Old 05-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I don't think anyone'll jump all over you cuz of your age....I just think it's a waste to put so much money towards mods when you've worked so hard at saving all of that money! How many years, lawns, allowances, and car washes did it take you to save the $5,000-$6,000?! Why not continue saving it? That's a great amount of money that most 16 year olds probably don't even have yet...put it away for better use a few years down the road!

Again...only my

i was not planing on putting 5-6k into mods, but paying off the car and maybe intake, exhuast, header down the road.

can anyone answer my original cai question?

thanks