Sirius Stiletto 2 - External Ant Still Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008 | 08:22 PM
Cruisin'

Sirius Stiletto 2 - External Ant Still Needed?

I have an Sirius Sportser radio that I installed in my car and I have to use the add-on antenna that comes with the car kit in order to get reception in my car.

If I upgrade to the Stiletto 2 (the portable radio with built-in antenna), do I still have to depend on the magnetic external antenna (that wired puck thing), or can I get good reception with just the antenna on the radio itself?
Old 01-08-2008 | 03:03 PM
5th Gear

Sirius Antenna

I have the same equestion that you do. I strongly suspect the antenna from your sportster is required, but will the connection adapt to the Stiletto? The antenna on the Stiletto headset is tuned for WIFI not the satellite signal which your car needs, so if you have the Stiletto let me know if it works, I might get rid of my sportster.
Old 01-08-2008 | 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

I've heard good things about the unit, no bad reviews which is impressive. As far as I've read you still must use the magnetic antenna, though I've heard you don't "need" to if willing to sacrifice a little sound quality. You can found out about more personal experiences searching here sirius stiletto.
Old 01-09-2008 | 09:01 AM
Racer

you need to pick up the fm transmitter relay.
those things your trying to use, suck.

the fcc went through and regulated sirius and xm's fm transmitter output because lots of people and companies were bitching about there transmissions being overhauled when some one pull next to them with the older sat radios. so now they have dumbed them down so you cant hear them unless you have an external fm transmitter.

just pick up the fm relay, there 20 - 30 dollars, and youll need to get access to your cars antenna in the back of the radio. and youll be good to go.
Old 01-09-2008 | 09:05 AM
Racer

also, just take the sirius antenna and rout it to the back of your car next to the sub, hide the wire and your good, or do the same for the front. i dont know which antenna ad on your talking about so both of these should be covered

and yes you need the external antenna. even when your walking down the road with the thing you wont get the reception you will with antenna.

sorry about the last post, i was thinking of a different problem that everyone and there mamma run into. hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2008 | 08:10 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks all. I do didn't wire the magnetic puck thing to the outside, but rather I have it sitting on the dash and I ran the wire behind the glove compartment and in behind the radio.

I did a hardwire install with the Blitzsafe adapter so the audio connection is solid. While I had the console apart, I ran the antenna wire cleanly as well.

Having the puck inside works ok, but everyone says it should be mounted outside on the roof. My reception has been pretty good so far, but I was just hoping to hear that the antenna on the stiletto 2 was kick-ass and strong enough to not even require the puck thing.

I'll post back my results when I finally get one.
Old 01-09-2008 | 09:53 PM
Racer

well if you have the blitzsafe then your golden. yeah, sirius and xm constantly bitch about moving the antenna outside, but as long as there is not a metallic tent or there windows not at a good angle, then you have problems, but ive installed them in the front and back of our cars and never had a problem. my gps and my xm antenna are next to the factory sub, and i have never had reception problems

good luck and congrats