Sirius Install on 2000 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Install on 2000 TL

New member here with his first question.

The wife purchased a portable Sirius SP4 system. The FM receiver connection is worhtless and I dont want to do the ugly tape-deck option either. I see there is a Blitzsafe adapter that uses the 14-pin connection on the rear of the head unit to directly connect the audio. I'd like to explore this option but I don't know if that 14-pin port is vacant or not. I have this scenario:

So, is that port vacant? Can I use this Blitzsafe adapter http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonauxdmxv1.html ? The scenarios they outline don't tell me specifically what I have in my edition http://www.logjamelectronics.com/installnotes.html

Can anyone tell me definitively whether that 14-pin port is vacant in my TL?
        Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 AM
        Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
        If you have a 6 cd changer that you activate by hitting the cd button twice, then no, the port is not vacant. You'll have to make a choice between the cd changer and Sirius. If this were my situation, I'd be getting rid of the changer in a heartbeat.
        Old 01-04-2007, 11:50 AM
        9th Gear

Optimus:

Thanks for the info. Is there a splitter device or some kind of toggle available that can leave both the Sirius and 6-changer connnected? Also, I guess I would consider a new stereo as well that can accomodate my components.
        Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 PM
        Cruisin'

J,
        You might want to check out this thread...

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/just-great-my-towels-fd-up-now-148347/
        Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
        9th Gear

I don't want to lose CD changer though

I'm aware that there are after-market products that allow the Sirius radio to be hard-wired to the head unit, but for my 2000 TL that requires unplugging the CD-changer that's in my trunk.

All of the links here talk about products that demand a vacant cd-changer port. That's not my situation, unfortunately.

What I'd like to do is find a product that daisy-chains the Sirius unit and the cd-changer. In other words, instead of hitting the CD button twice - as I do currently to access the CD changer, I would hit it three times (radio, cd-changer, sirius).

There has to be a product out there that does this. It would simply include the 14-pin male and female adapter heads, in addition tp the mini-rca ports for the sirius unit.
        Old 01-16-2007, 11:42 AM
        Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
        I have an 03-TLS with a 6 disk changer in the dash. Do I have an open port??
        Old 01-16-2007, 05:34 PM
        Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CHEWKNOW
        I have an 03-TLS with a 6 disk changer in the dash. Do I have an open port??
        yes
        Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
        Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jggallow01
        I'm aware that there are after-market products that allow the Sirius radio to be hard-wired to the head unit, but for my 2000 TL that requires unplugging the CD-changer that's in my trunk.

All of the links here talk about products that demand a vacant cd-changer port. That's not my situation, unfortunately.

What I'd like to do is find a product that daisy-chains the Sirius unit and the cd-changer. In other words, instead of hitting the CD button twice - as I do currently to access the CD changer, I would hit it three times (radio, cd-changer, sirius).

There has to be a product out there that does this. It would simply include the 14-pin male and female adapter heads, in addition tp the mini-rca ports for the sirius unit.
        while i know its hard to let go of the changer, in reality, once you hook up your mp3 player to your car, you will never use CD's again. I installed the in-dash 6 CD changer headunit into my '00 TL and shortly after that, i hooked up my mp3 player. I have not used CD's since, and its been about 1.5 years. The idea of having to carry numerous CD's to my car and taking up space when not in use is a pain in the ass. putting all of them onto my mp3 player is just so much easier

so, just unplug the CD changer, sell it on ebay, and use the money to get the blitzsafe
        Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM
        Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
        ^^^
        Old 01-17-2007, 11:47 AM
        9th Gear

Tlover - you're spot on

You offer a sensible argument.

I did find this product however in another thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hreadid=149805

This interface works with factory installed CD changers. It seems to simply allow the owner to toggle up to three different sources while retaining connectivity to the CD changer.

Now, although I agree with you I would use the CD changer less and less if I owned an MP3 player, but other than the obtrusive remote switch console, why would this install be any different or more difficult than installing the appropriate Blitzsafe adapter? This product actually seems to provide more options.

Any opinions?

Also, I know this is posted in several areas, but if someone could provide links to correct Blitzsafe adapter (is the one I posted in the first thread item correct?) and a link to a page where there are instructions and photos of how to best get access to the back of the head unit to complete the re-cabling.

Thanks so much.