Since im a show off..... heres a new MOD

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since im a show off..... heres a new MOD

Lower REAR tie bar.... custom made baby!!! Well the Brackets were made for it.... also dont mind my sig, it says DC sport, but its not. I need to find out the brand of the one they used since the one they used gave me more clearance than the DC sport one did.

Ok with sways, springs, upper strut, lower front tie, and lower rear tie.... My car is just :wow: :wow: on turns!!!!!

This pic is with the camera on the ground, so you can see how much clearance i have.

Sorry the car is dirty...
Old 03-09-2002, 03:08 PM
Having Fun?

Oohhh I want

Looking good!
Old 03-09-2002, 03:33 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha Jesal, you went bar crazy huh? why not remove the rear deck cover and make a rear upper strut??
Old 03-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ElegantTL
haha Jesal, you went bar crazy huh? why not remove the rear deck cover and make a rear upper strut??
I got somthing planned... dont worry.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:41 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Originally posted by Crzy Acura

I got somthing planned... dont worry.
oh man....they call you crazy for a reason then...
Old 03-09-2002, 04:33 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it looks kinda weak though.. j/k

is that a normal thickness for a rear tie bar?
Old 03-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Banned

Just noticed that... the tie bar is actually rectangle... here are more pics...just to prove you wrong.

dont mind the salt on my chrome... i already cleaned it off.
Old 03-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

tie bars connect the sway bar to the frame. i dont know what that thing is.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mr tl
tie bars connect the sway bar to the frame. i dont know what that thing is.

its more like a sturt bar. I really dont know what to call it, but it does stiffen things up nicely
Old 03-09-2002, 11:37 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
man, just when I think I actually know enough about suspension to be able to talk about it...you come along with this. I have no idea what it's for and what it connects to. Please enlighten me.
Old 03-10-2002, 06:44 PM
Advanced

rear upper & lower strutbar for 2000tl

Originally posted by ElegantTL
Crzyacura& Elegant TL,
I believe in the principle behind these strut bars. Ive been researching but was not lucky enough or it's still not in the market. If anyone does know,
appreciate if you could pass on the info.
juniel
Old 03-11-2002, 09:55 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
show off. Wanna make me one....
Old 03-11-2002, 11:23 AM
Racer

LoL~
Crzy you nut
Lookin' good man...you ever gonna run outta money?! haha:p
Old 03-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

I'm lazy so I'm going to cut and paste from the OTHER forum.

OK.....I personally would have problems with that setup.

Why? Because of the way it is mounted.

For starters it's on a swivel joint connected to the body at only 1 mounting point. Loosen those screws, then you'll have the entire bar swinging side to side like a huge swing. At the very least you should have the bar connected at the body at 2 points, but even with this setup, the bar can still move on the single mounting joint (when the body flexes).

The VERY best setup (which I know would be difficult to pull off) would be if you had a single bar with NO joints like the Neuspeed upper strut bar. I really hope there is additional mounting points behind the bar that we cannot fully see. BTW only a single uni-bar (no joints what so ever) is the only that can get away with being mounted on a single point on each side.

Take more pics of the mounting points please! That's where most of my intrerest is in!
Old 03-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Edgalang read my mind, I feel the same way. Plus I cannot imagine this barbeing necessary. But it looks nice as a visual mod.

I mean, is this aluminum bar going to reinforce this heavy steel? You can see the subframe is already pretty beefy where your trying to reinforce. Ya know what I mean.
Old 03-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Banned

Ok guys enough. You guys make 100% sense. The thing is i feel the difference. Maybe its in my head, but who knows. Im going to find out if we can come up with something else. Oh and i dont feel bad about the install, since it wasnt alot of $$. I need something in the rear, it just didnt feel stable to me before. This actually feels soild.

Sorry for the disappointment... im just willing to try new things for ya guys. Give me ideas then!
Old 03-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Having Fun?

edgalang & TUFF GONG:
Some very good points. Depending on what the intention of the design is suppose to be would depend on what stress/flex it is suppose to deal with. I would doubt that it is intended to reinforce the frame.

If it is suppose to be a 'lower rear strut tie bar' than it should be designed to reduce flex between the rear struts, that's it. It would in function make the two strut towers act/react as one. So if a force is applied to one side or the other it gets distributed to both struts. This is ideal for optimal wheel-to-road contact for hard turns.

I agree about the two mount points, and one solid bar approach. A very tricky design, but it would be best.

For a long winded discussion I kept up regarding the front upper strut check this thread: http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...&postid=318472 Same concept, but for the rear struts.

mr tl:
I don't know if it is suppose to tie the sway to the frame, this would contradict a 'strut tie-bar design'. Any additional unnecessary mount point of this bar would degrade its performance as a strut tie bar. Maybe this isn't suppose to be a strut tie

From one of the articles I quoted earlier...
This type of bar does not affect the movement of the suspension, per se (as anti-roll or stabilizer bars do), but instead they prevent the suspension's chassis mounting points from flexing, allowing the suspension to follow its intended path...
I think it is a good mod, but maybe not the best design

Just my $.02 on the subject
Old 03-11-2002, 04:02 PM

Sorry for the disappointment... im just willing to try new things for ya guys. Give me ideas then!
Dont feel bad...I totally support your experiments...hell I'll join you if I could! I'm not saying that it *doesn't make a difference or that what you are feeling is imaginary (it could) but here's my theory to explain why you feel that way NOW but wont later.

Reason why you think it feels stiffer is because the nuts/bolts holding it together must of been on pretty tight, but that's it. The moment they start to loosen (over time I dunno) the more the bar will do nothing for performance. You NEED a single bar setup OR MULTIPLE mounting points for those that are a swivel type of bar. If your mechanic tightened it up enough, it *could simulate a single bar...but get real, how long do you think the nut/bolts will last before they sart to loosen.

copland007

I was involved at that thread too, although I know what Mr.TL is reffering to. In civics/integras where there are no rear sway bar, some performance companies used a rear tie bar design to double it up as mounting points where the sway bars can mount. To me it was a good design provided you didnt have mounting points for the sways to begin with.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by edgalang

but get real, how long do you think the nut/bolts will last before they sart to loosen.
well if that was true.. then wouldnt all the bolts and nuts in the car loosen up in time?
Old 03-11-2002, 04:17 PM

well if that was true.. then wouldnt all the bolts and nuts in the car loosen up in time?
Well...let me use an analogy then. This setup to me is like having sway bar brackets mounted with 1 bolt. Hope you can visualize that :p

I really like the idea, but unlike TUFF GONG I really dont care what materials you use (to me thats secondary)...provided it is mounted correctly. It could be a titanium bar for all I care but mount like you have now and it's like a really good quality sword with a $hitty a$$ handle.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:21 PM
Banned

Well...let me use an analogy then. This setup to me is like having sway bar brackets mounted with 1 bolt. Hope you can visualize that :p

hahaha i get your point. How about if i got it welded? I mean this bar really does help. I dont want to take it off.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:29 PM

hahaha i get your point. How about if i got it welded? I mean this bar really does help. I dont want to take it off.
I vote on NOT taking it off (I want one too ya know!)...but figure out a better way to keep a snug fit.

Here's my shot at it.

That black metal piece....make that longer so that you can have 2 mounting points (2 holes & 2 bolts) OR simply weld it in permenently.

You know...I'm really curious about your skunk bar now. Can I see the points where it is mounted? I cant stop thinking about it. :p
Old 03-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Banned

i need to get under it still.. but heres a pic i took before...

Old 03-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

You should have just gotten a full weld in roll cage.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

I really like the idea, but unlike TUFF GONG I really dont care what materials you use (to me thats secondary)...provided it is mounted correctly. It could be a titanium bar for all I care but mount like you have now and it's like a really good quality sword with a $hitty a$$ handle.
Maybe I should of worded it differently. I didn't question the strength of aluminum. I simply meant that I don't think the rear subframe needs it between where you are bracing. Your running this brace parallel to the subframes heavy beam(boxed steel) thats got the suspension arm mounting points welded on to it(which is where you have the brace bolted too).

I don't mean no disrespect Crazy, I got to give you props for your determination. If you want to really stiffen up your car, try replacing the rubber subrame mounts with something like urethane, delrin or even aluminum
Old 03-11-2002, 07:46 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Closer
You should have just gotten a full weld in roll cage.
yeah, it looks like Crzy's got the cash
Old 03-12-2002, 12:06 AM
Pro

oh shlt~
thats wat ive been looking for~ damn...what did you use? thats pretty clever man..

i dont know if you guys have noticed this but heres the one i want by neuspeed.
neuspeed front and rear
says front and rear on the catalog
hope this helps~

but what did you use crzyacura? which car is that off of? i'd use it...if it was welded. you should weld it...looks tight tho. thanks for the info~