Side Airbag Off lights turn on

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Side Airbag Off lights turn on

Can anybody tell me why this light turns on? It goes on, and off intermittently. I can't pinpoint the cause but it just turns on.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:57 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The major cause of this issue is when the sensors in the passanger seat detect that the passengar is not sitting fully flat. If your passengar is leaning against the door or window, reclined back, or anything apart form "normal sitting", it will trip the light.

If you have no passanger in the car when this is happening, one of the sensors in the seat is jacked and is mis-reporting.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:29 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think he is talking about it doing that with the seat empty, like my car does sometimes.

I've pinpointed the cause for my car. There is a sensor right above, and to the left of the crease in the middle of the seatback, where you would lean back. If my Side Airbag Off light comes on with the seat empty, I can lightly put my hand on that spot and it will go off. Sometimes I have to fight with it because it will come back on as soon as I move my hand. It is only sensitive like that in this spot, so I'm assuming that's the sensor that is messed up. If the SRS light ever comes on, Acura extended the warranty for this reason.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkshear
The major cause of this issue is when the sensors in the passanger seat detect that the passengar is not sitting fully flat. If your passengar is leaning against the door or window, reclined back, or anything apart form "normal sitting", it will trip the light.

If you have no passanger in the car when this is happening, one of the sensors in the seat is jacked and is mis-reporting.
GOOD SH*T!! I forgot to mention i did notice the light only turns on when there are passengers. And yes, all of the times i noticed that problem, my passengers weren't sitting flushed on the chair...(my cousin was drunk and leaning towards the window..haha)
Old 12-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The side airbag warning activates whenever it senses the load is off center and something like a persons head may be in the path of the airbag Its a computer looking out for you thing!

Because the airbag deploys upward from the outer bottom side of the seat area, if someones head were in the way when the bag deploys with what is decribed as
-explosive speed- =broken neck/DEATH from airbag.
The side bag will NOT deploy when that light is on!!
The driver side also senses if your head may be on the window-such as in a rollover, and delays the airbag until your are clear.

ALSO NOTE If your main srs airbag warning stays on, it means a failure of a sensor WHICH CAUSES SRS AIRBAG SYSTEM TO NOT WORK AT ALL_ PROCEED CAREFULLY TO DEALER_ that is covered under an special extended warranty of 10 years 150,000 MILES
Most of our gen 2 cars are covered. You can make sure you are by registering at acura.com AND call the 800 number, ask for a full records search, service advisory and recall notes or extended transmission or airbag warranty info. Registering at acura.com does not give all the info a human can at the 800 number.

Seatbelts Save Lives
Track Days Teach You To Avoid The Accident
Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
The driver side also senses if your head may be on the window-such as in a rollover, and delays the airbag until your are clear.
No.

OPDS is passenger seat only. The TL has no rollover sensors whatsoever and no OPDS sensors in the driver seat. Have you never seen what the TL's side airbag looks like? It comes no where near the window or the head of an adult of normal height. It deploys at about chest height, covering the door. For your head to be in the path you're either a dwarf or you're laying sideways in the seat.

Guys please make sure you have your facts straight before you post so you don't spread misinformation.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Team Owner

What I posted is directly from Acura Customer Service. The man I spoke with owned an 01 and several others and was a former dealer mechanic, with what he termed "substantial seat time"

While I have not and never hope to examine to airbag up close and personal, I was told it will delay on the driver side if it senses you out of position ie: as in a rollover. I did not say the car has rollover sensors.

If you are laying down in the passenger seat or otherwise in a position NOT used by the crash test dummies, you become the crash test dummy

I make every effort to post accurate info and appreciate correction if I am wrongly informed or using old school knowledge which does not pertain to certain modern things.

Seatbelts save Lives if they don't kill you
Airbags will Injure You for sure
Track Day Driving School Teaches you to Avoid The Accident!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:09 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
What I posted is directly from Acura Customer Service. The man I spoke with owned an 01 and several others and was a former dealer mechanic, with what he termed "substantial seat time"

While I have not and never hope to examine to airbag up close and personal, I was told it will delay on the driver side if it senses you out of position ie: as in a rollover. I did not say the car has rollover sensors.
I didn't mean any offense or harm to you. I too have spoken with an ignorant Acura Client Service rep who told me that the driver seat had OPDS sensors. However, it does NOT have OPDS sensors for the side airbag - zero, none.

Maybe you are thinking about dual-threshold airbags. These deploy a one of two different forces. They're less dangerous to conventional airbags found in older vehicles.

Airbags can never delay in deployment or they are ineffective. While a side airbag may infact deploy during a rollover, it is only because of deceleration meters - it doesn't sense a rollover, nor does the side airbag give two shits who is sitting in the driver's seat or their position. It deploys with significant enough force regardless.

So just in case someone finds this thread and hopes to learn something from it:

1. 2002+ Acura TLs have dual stage, dual threshold airbags that can deploy at less force than conventional ones if the situation deems that necessary.

2. 2000+ Acura TLs and all Honda cars with side airbags have what Honda calls OPDS. This stands for Occupant Position Detection System - and it is for the front PASSENGER SEAT ONLY.

3. Airbags are not designed to deploy in rollovers unless specifically noted on a lot of modern SUVs. Regular front and seat-mounted side airbags could not offer much protection in this type of collision.

4. The amount of damage to a car's body is not indicative of whether or not the airbag functioned properly, i.e. a car with lots of body damage but no airbag deployment doesn't mean the airbags failed.

Hope everyone learned something new!

BTW - what is up with your signatures? Seatbelts are the single greatest advancement in passenger safety since the beginning of automobiles. Sure, there will be those extreme circumstances where they can kill you - like dying while exercising - it's supposed to be good for you but anything can do you in. Airbags are also not dangerous if you understand them and respect their power. Most people injured by airbags were ill informed about airbags.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

I just play around with signatures as a joke to see if anyone reads these things. I am a race driver, pilot, scuba rescue diver so I am very safety oriented.
My friend the Emergency Room Doctor says he see many facial and chest injuries from airbags- yes probably from people sitting too close- because who bothers to read the owners manual.
I am thankful to you for informing me of the incorrect info I was given. The c.s. guy was probably talking about dual stage which I do not have.

Seatbelts do save lives, again when worn properly so they dont break your collarbone. Me, I prefer a 6 point harness so the street car belts have always seemed....not enough

One mans opinion