Side Air Bag Light Comes On Intermintently - TLs 2003

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Air Bag Light Comes On Intermintently - TLs 2003

Hi
I normally drive solo in my TLs to and from work . Sometimes on the weekends I have my 3 yr old in his car seat in the back ( on the front passenger side) going broom,... broom... drive faster daddy. Absolutely no problems.

Then.....
Had my wife in the front passenger seat and my sister in law in the driver's side rear passenger seat this weekend , saying slow down you are driving to fast.....now I have a problem.
I noticed the side airbag light comes on intermitently. Comes on for a minute and then goes off and reapeats itself several times.

Any ideas?

Thx
Old 06-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Read the manual. It should be in your car's glove box. It states why and when that light comes on. While you are at it, read the rest of the manual from cover to cover and be surprised by the wealth of information provided within.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Drifting

From what I understand it's normal. Mine does that if the passenger in the front seat leans on the door, or lets the seat back too far or lets the seat up to far. The dealer said the sensor turns the air bag off if the person or object isn't positioned to where it won't hurt you if activated. Hope that helps a little bit. And SLOW down with the babies in the car!
Old 06-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Thanks Type S Lady!
Old 06-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Originally posted by sundance1
Thanks Type S Lady!
instead of thanking typeSlady you should thank Stiletto for showing you how not to be a clueless newb

give a man a fish he eats today, teach a man to fish and he eats forever
Old 06-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Thanks again Type S Lady
Think about it again Turbomikey ( and Stiletto) driving my desktop right now, multitasking , trying to be somewhat productive for my company. I have this immediate need to know..... cars in the parking lot, 2 min ride in the elevator, 2 min walk to the car, 5 min to scan for info that maybe somebody else knows and has no problem sharing!
Thanks again Type S Lady.
If you need to know anything about the wireless industry about your cell phoen functions please do not hesitate to let me know! I will certainly not not direct you to search your manual tucked away amongst a million and 1 things in the in the utility draw at home 20 miles away!
Thanks again Type S Lady

Thx
Old 06-03-2003, 02:14 PM

The reason it comes on is that the passenger is laying against the outside of the seat. Its normal.

Just tell your passenger to lean back toward the center of the seat.

Hope that helps....
Old 06-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Yo man... I don't need the thanks. I could care less about who gives thanks or who dosen't. I just stated something that anyone that has half a brain would understand. READ THE MANUAL. It is not to hard, specially for someone that knows so much about things (such as ... ahhhh... YOU). The Owner's Manual is not only to state the obvious, but also to tell you little things like the function of "passenger side air bag light" or why the maintenance required light will blink, or stay on permanently, or knowing you have two trip odometers and how to reset them, or the radio functions, or the fact that you have speed sensing intermitent wipers, or important saftey features that will prevent you from locking yourself outside the car.... or getting hit while changing a tire, or how to use the tether system for child seats... How about the sliding armrest? or the fact that your right hand side rear view mirror won't function properly if it is not in the locked position... In fact, I bet you don't even know you can open and close windows and the sunroof without having the key in the ignition... Oh, did you know about the auto off headlights? How to use sport shift? Gate shift? Seat warmers... If you had read the manual you would know. Since you have so little time in your life (and of course that is only you. everybody else has time to answer questions that have been answered numerous times in the past but can be easily found in the OWNERS MANUAL and by using the SEARCH button on this site) why not take the manual into the john, so the next time you are taking a day killer, you can read it cover to cover and stop wasting time typing out your question. If you are driving, then memorize your Acura Dealer's phone number and call them to ask them the same question. Most likely they'll be able to help you by reminding you that that information is in the owners manual. Oh and if you are implying that you are driving while on the computer.... enough said.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

One more thing... Thank you Type-S lady.

you are the bomb as they say...
Old 06-03-2003, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Stiletto- you know it's all good.
Sundance1 - anytime, and you know this!
Turbomike chill out dude, we're all here to help out in any way possible.:p
Old 06-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YO, what the f()ck is with you today Stiletto and Turbomike ?? You having a bad day or something. I have been on these boards for almost 2 years and i usually keep out of flaming wars (and mind you I am not flaming you right now) but I really think you went way over the edge on Sundance, and I think its fair game to call you on the mat about it. These boards are supposed to be a friendly place where people exchange ideas, and get questions answered.
His question really wasnt that out of line or off the wall. He just wanted to know why the airbag light was coming on intermittently, and frankly, with side airbags being a relatively new addition to cars, he was probably just unfamiliar with the whole thing. He asked a quick question - no biggie - you didnt have to respond to his post if it was really that much of a burden on you. But to rip him apart like you did just because he's a 'newbie' doesnt make a heap of sense. We were ALL newbies on this site at one time, just like you were when you joined on.

I am not trying to be the peace maker around here, thats for the Mods to do. Just give it some thought next time.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

We were all new once.

Let's give the fish while we teach.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:20 PM
President Team Lilirish

u should bring it to the dealership cause one of the sensors probably isn't working right and it could prevent the airbag from going of in case of an accident
Old 06-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Dai
Instructor

Originally posted by stiletto
In fact, I bet you don't even know you can open and close windows and the sunroof without having the key in the ignition...
You can??

That's news to me!
Old 06-03-2003, 08:58 PM
On the way!

Originally posted by Dai
You can??

That's news to me!
Certainly - that's a common feature in a lot of cars (my '94 Pontiac Formula had it). The accessories and windows can be used for a certain time period after turning the car off and removing the key from the ignition. It's usually about 10 minutes - but I don't know the specific time limit on the TL.

Just don't open the door... Everything turns off at that point.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Dai
Instructor

Originally posted by stiletto
In fact, I bet you don't even know you can open and close windows and the sunroof without having the key in the ignition...
You can??

That's news to me!
Old 06-03-2003, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Certainly - that's a common feature in a lot of cars (my '94 Pontiac Formula had it). The accessories and windows can be used for a certain time period after turning the car off and removing the key from the ignition. It's usually about 10 minutes - but I don't know the specific time limit on the TL.

I had them on the 95 honda accord, i believed it's 20 mins after you shut off the engine Before you open any door.
I def. did that for my 03 TL-S, but not sure if it's still 20 mins or less...

the side air bag thing...... arrhhh, it's def. design for my wife ( or ladies never listen to their men )... I have trouble telling her to stop leaning against the door. The other day when the light goes on, I ask her and half jokely say that she doesn't have to be leaning on the door for looking outside the windows like those puppies does, ended up having a fight, n sure I didn't "get any" for days......thanks Acura!!!
Old 06-04-2003, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Oops. Mesosorrie. What I meant to say was: READ THE MANUAL... no. I am sorry. That didn't come out right. I am having a better day today. Just remember to sing like that doctor says: Don't worry, read the manual.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Its all cool now Stiletto. I am sure everyone appreciated you were big enough to realize you went to far and made you apology. Hopefully you didnt scare Sundance1 away from these message boards and that he'll read it too... Somewhere along the line he will be packed with useful information about the TL so he can pass the torch on down the line.

BTW, i am not big on reading the owners manual and I am mostly hands on, and while I do know about the sliding arm rest, I have to say I stumbled upon it accidently one day when I was rubbing it hard with leather cleaner and a rag. I was pissed off for about 5 seconds because i though the mechanism had just broken, and then i slid it forward and back a few times and said 'cool. I just found a very useful feature'. It was kind of like the same feeling the cavemen must have felt when they were rubbing sticks together and suddenly made fire! Crazy cave men, Its like 50 or 100 thousand years later, and I STILL cant make fire buy rubbing two sticks together. :grenade:
Old 06-04-2003, 11:42 AM
Who Needs a Type-S?

all of you are insane, and pretty damn sensitive as well. you call this flaming?
Old 06-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Sundance does not get shaken off too easily.
Stiletto...were cool!

Thx
Old 06-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TuRb0MiKeY
all of you are insane, and pretty damn sensitive as well. you call this flaming?
Insane? Nope. Only Crazy Eddie's prices were insane!! [I hope most of you on these boards even remembers those commercials or I really am getting too old]

TUrB0MiKey, nobody called what happened yesterday flaming, and I prefaced my original comments by saying I wasnt trying to flame you or Stilletto in speaking up. To me, it was just an unfortunate case of really beating down someone excessively for doing nothing but asking the rest of us a question about the TL.

We're not being too sensitive; just trying to be cordial and nice to everyone that hangs out on these boards.

Now if the original thread was something like "how come my car only comes with one engine, when its got FOUR separate wheels" I probably would have kept my mouth shut and not spoke up.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:46 PM

All sunshine makes a desert
JK
Old 06-08-2003, 08:46 AM
9th Gear

I personally am a great fan of reading the manual, as soon as I purchase my car. That throws a lot of light on a variety of things about the car, including the break-in procedures and pretty much everything else that we should know about. Of course it does not go into the technicalities like a shop manual but it does cover everything from a regular driver's perspective. And it does not hurt to read the manual !! JMHO.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Wink

My manual says "Love your fellow TL owners as you love your TL", so I guess y'all lucked out. I love you guys!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 12:33 PM
Intermediate

Hi all,

I'm new to this board and have just purchased a 2000 3.2TL (without the owner's manual). I noticed the side airbag light was on while my wife was flaked out in the passenger-side seat (due to the smooth as silk ride)...sooo, I decided to search this board on what it may be, and voila!

I have to say that I'm glad this thread was here, as it answered my question, and prevented me from calling the dealer.

Cheers.
Rob L