should insurance pay for rent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 05:21 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should insurance pay for rent?

Need a quick help from someone who knows insurance policies... My car was hit while parked at the street a month ago and the guilty party is known. Problem is that the guy is insured with the same company (Commerce Ins.). I don't have "rent money" in my policy, but since it's not my fault and they know who did it - shouldn't I be paid for the rent regardless? Appreciate your help!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:08 AM
2006 TL ASPEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would he be paying you Rent? This doesn't make much sense. More details, maybe?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by gregtomash
Need a quick help from someone who knows insurance policies... My car was hit while parked at the street a month ago and the guilty party is known. Problem is that the guy is insured with the same company (Commerce Ins.). I don't have "rent money" in my policy, but since it's not my fault and they know who did it - shouldn't I be paid for the rent regardless? Appreciate your help!
Unless it's written out in your policy, insurance companies don't have to pay for a rental car for you. That happened to my wife. Besides, even if you DO get rental coverage for a cost $5-$20/month, you could recoup your cost within about 2-12 months. Save your money in case you do get into an accident.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dchondasport
Why would he be paying you Rent? This doesn't make much sense. More details, maybe?
I thought that because it was guy's fault, he (i.e. his insurance) is paying for rent - seems logical to me. The problem as I see it - we have the same insurance and they are not interested in paying the rent. If it were different insurance, it would be different matter, right?
Old 03-07-2005, 09:45 AM
NorCal you Beezy!

This is what I would do...

1)File a complaint to small claims for your money. (For your deducatble, rental car and anything else thats related to the incident)
2)File a claim with your insurance provider (take pics of there car and your car.
3)Try to get a statement or transcript of him/her admitting fault.

Then you win and get your money back

You get your deductable
Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Racer

i agree that while your car is in for repair the other guy should pay rental covereage, worst comes to worst pay for the rental yourself then send him the bill and take him to small claims court, just make sure u only rent a small or mid-size car , dont expect them to validate it if u rent an escalade
Old 03-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Instructor

I am sorry that I wasn't clear enough... The accident happened a month ago - insurance have all the pictures and the appraisal has been done. I also got my deductible, and as far as I understand, insurance has no doubt that the other guy was in fault. That's why they pay me the deductible after their investigation was over.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
They should cover the rental for up to a few weeks of the accident if it was the other person's fault. If it is yours, you would need to have that option on ur insurance... if not then you have to pay. If you didnt have it and it is the other person's fault, you pay first and at the end u have to fight for that money back from the other company.... maybe you can call the insurance and ask the other side's insurance person assigned to it.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Unless it's written out in your policy, insurance companies don't have to pay for a rental car for you. That happened to my wife. Besides, even if you DO get rental coverage for a cost $5-$20/month, you could recoup your cost within about 2-12 months. Save your money in case you do get into an accident.
Not sure how much your ins co charges for rental car rembursement, but mine charges $6 a year for up to $1500 rental coverage (per accident). WELL worth it in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Drifting

i had full coverage on my 02 tl-s including rental reimbursement. i had an accident where someone rear ended me on the freeway right before thanksgiving. my rental coverage was $25/day and considering it was a holiday, the agency did not have much selection to where i had a car comparable to the one i was driving. i ended up with a $50/day qx4 i basically had to pay outta pocket for. i ended up submitting the claim to that party's insurance company and they sent me a check; pretty smooth for me. i believe my company also went after them for the other $25/day they shelled out.

i wouldn't think you would have a lot of trouble since you both have the same company but it seems like it was a double hit on them and they are trying to save a little.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Uhhh ... not directly related to 2nd gen TL. Maybe in car talk or ramblings.
Closing this thread.