Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I do it?

Ok, I finally got some sticky Sumitomos on my TL-S. Next question is, should I take her to the track and see how fast she is? I know many of you have already done that. But I really want to know if doing that would hurt my baby. I'm planning on keeping her for many years to come. I'm close to 30K now and it runs like a dream. Can our car take that kind of abuse? I guess I need some encouragement here before I take the plunge.

These are the enhancements I have so far:
Injen CAI
Comptech Headers
Comptech Exhaust
Sumitomo HTR+
Comptech SS brakelines
Neuspeed Upper strut tie bar

Any feedback would be appreciated.

axleback
Old 09-19-2002, 05:26 PM
Racer

First off, YES, these cars have a bulletproof backbone, and can take more abuse than you can give it(just not the tranny). Trust me, I know . But another question I have is what size sumitomo's did you get and how is the ride different than when you had the stock tires.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:12 PM
Pro

Originally posted by FLAcuraTLS
First off, YES, these cars have a bulletproof backbone, and can take more abuse than you can give it(just not the tranny). Trust me, I know . But another question I have is what size sumitomo's did you get and how is the ride different than when you had the stock tires.
That's exactly what I mean. Wouldn't that put our tranny under alot of stress? The last thing I want is after leaving the track, I come home to a bad tranny.

I have 225/45R17. The ride quality is actually better than the stock tires and their grip is awesome. Very quiet too. I didn't expect that from ultra-high performance tires. The stock tires are pure POS. One thing you gotta consider though: the gap between the tire and the wheel well is bigger now. Which makes my car looks more SUV like. Coilovers next...

axleback
Old 09-19-2002, 11:56 PM
Racer

yeah the gap will be bigger when switching to a 225/45 versus our stock 215/50, but I didn't see you list any springs. I am lowered on H&R sports, and I am seriously considering getting rid of the OEM crap tires and getting something else in a 225/45. And as far as the stress on the tranny, I can't see you ruining your tranny by racing your car one time. If you plan on gate shifting every gear at redline and just outwardly abusing the hell out of the tranny, then yeah that is stress on the tranny, but if you leave it in D5 and just have fun throwing the car around a track, the only thing that will have stress is those brand new sticky sumitomo's. Go out and have some fun, thats why you bought this awesome car.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hell yeah go for it. Also take some pics and if possible vidoe tape it and give us a link.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Thumbs up

Absolutely.. go for it..... who's to say that you'll join the 1.6% with tranny failures... you bought the car to drive it.. so go for it. If anything should happen... you have a warranty.. right? They don't know WHERE your tranny broke.. just that it did.

Honestly though you won't have a problem... people dyno, drag and track their CL-S'/TL-S' with no problems... so go for it!!
Old 09-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Pro

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I think I have enough balls to do it now. Especially with the good new about Acura offering us with the extended warranty. One more question: Should I use torque braking at the line to get a better launch? I will also lower my tire pressure to 25psi, take out the jack and spare, gate shift right before 7K rpm. Anything else you guys can think of to improve my time?

axleback
Old 09-20-2002, 02:03 PM
...and then there was One

Originally posted by axleback
One more question: Should I use torque braking at the line to get a better launch?
It matters the condition of the track. Some tracks are amazingly slippery at the line. I'm sure you will be able to make a couple runs, so try 1,500K, 2K, ... See what works best. The better 60 foot you have, the better the launch. Sounds like you know what you're doing. Have fun.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:46 AM
Pro

Going to the track this weekend! Will post video clip afterwards. When I do gate shifting, should I keep the gas pedal floored while going through the gears or should I let off the gas, shift, and then punch it again?

axleback
Old 09-25-2002, 07:45 AM
Racer

Axleback....go to the track man

why esle would you do all your mods...so we could just read them in your sig? Seriously, your driving habits are not going to play a huge role in whether your tranny fails. There is a design flaw. These cars were desined to be pushed. If you wanted a TLS over TLP....you wanted a faster more powerformance oriented car....don't tell me you will just baby it because you are afraid of it breaking.....if that's the care....give me all your mods and get a civic dx!
Old 09-25-2002, 09:26 AM
Pro

Re: Axleback....go to the track man

Originally posted by Ray_Khan
why esle would you do all your mods...so we could just read them in your sig? Seriously, your driving habits are not going to play a huge role in whether your tranny fails. There is a design flaw. These cars were desined to be pushed. If you wanted a TLS over TLP....you wanted a faster more powerformance oriented car....don't tell me you will just baby it because you are afraid of it breaking.....if that's the care....give me all your mods and get a civic dx!
No Ray, I got the Type-S because of its 17" wheels . If you read my last post, I already said I'm going to the track this weekend. I'm already sold. Just had last question before I do it.

axleback
Old 09-25-2002, 09:57 AM
Racer

yeah I kind of skipped ahead

good luck at the track. These cars were meant to be driven....have fun!