Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 07:45 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping

I'm getting a new car in a couple of months and have narrowed my choices to the TL-S, Infiniti G35 and maybe a BMW 525i if I can find one under $40k. Considering price, the TL-S is probably the best choice, but the transmission problem is worrisome.

Interestingly, the Consumer Reports 2002 Auto Annual reports the TL among the top cars in its reliability survey (I think the Infiniti i30 was the highest rated sedan for reliability), and they rate by problem area, with transmission receiving the highest possible rating, which means less than 2% of the sample reporting problems.

Besides the survey at this web site, has anyone ever gotten any feedback from Acura about frequency (besides dealers saying it's the first one they've seen)? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2002, 01:10 AM
Intermediate

I wouldn't let the proposed transmission problem weigh heavily in your decision. I'm sure that an unpopular opinion but there's no way to prove statistically that this unknown problem plauges most TLs. Besdies this board I haven't found too much talking about this "problem". And you can't get an accurate sampling from a message board. So X amount of people have had problems - out of how many? is the sampling representative of all TL buyers in all location and backgrounds? Doubtful - making the whole discussion baseless. I have to go with consumer reports and other sites as for the reliability of the car (let the flames begin).

I would actually be more concerned about the G35 - a new car - thus unproven. Potential for some problems in the first year or two like any new car release. Might be minor, might be serious. don't care for looks much myself - but the rear wheel drive might be more "fun" depending on where you live.

I like the BMW 5 series - but the 525 slower then the others. If that doesn't concern you much then definetly keep a look out for a good one. You may be able to get a new slightly stripped down series 5 but that's a guess.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

i don't think i would get the 525, basically if it's not 540i sport i wouldn't touch it

i have already heard tranny problems with the g35. and you shouldnt' worrry too much about the tranny problems in the tl. if you look at the real percentage i am sure it's not big otherwise i would have been a real recall.