Shifting to Reverse and General Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting to Reverse and General Transmission Question

Hello all

I have two questions concerning the 2000 Acura TL (NON-S-TYPE) that I just recently purchased with 48,000 miles. I've only had the car for about 3 weeks now and have put about 700 miles on it but already I'm having some doubts about my purchase.

First Question: I live in Colorado and we've had some exceptionally cold weather the past few weeks. When I start my car up after having sit for more than 8+ hours (cold starting it) the RPMs settle anywhere between 1800 and 2000. I usually let the car warm up for a while and then shift it back to reverse but it seems like even after waiting till the RPMS are around 1,100 or 1,000 the transmission still jerks when I switch to reverse. I'm no expert but I don't think this is normal, has anyone else had this issue / have comments / advice? I should also note that it is only on the cold start that the RPMs are exceptionally high - all subsequent starts settle at more like 700 rpms and don't jerk the transmission when I shift gears.

Second Question: After starting my car (and after a 2-3 minute warm-up) the car jerks a little bit when switching gears. I think it's mainly between gear 1 and 2 or perhaps 2 and 3. The exit from my neighborhood forces me to always accelerate up to 40mph and it's right around 20mph that my transmission jerks slightly. I believe the problem mainly occurs for a little bit after starting the car but still periodically occurs when driving in the city. It should also be noted that the jerking occurs during both bitterly cold weather and the warmer days we've had of 40 degrees F.

After purchasing the car I took the vehicle into an Acura dealership here in Boulder because according to the records it hadn't been inspected for the transmission recall but upon my arrival they turned me away saying the car had already been serviced with the oil jet modification. I still have the "extended coverage" recently granted by Honda, Inc on my transmission till February 2008 but I'm a little hesitant brining the vehicle into dealer prior to being totally dead because I'm afraid they're going to tell me it's my problem / not covered. The car is a replacement given to me by my parents for my 1993 Camry LE that bit the dust at 195,000 miles. I'm a little nervous having to pipe up after less than three weeks of ownership on this vehicle that the car may need a major repair.

Any suggestions / advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.s. I should note that the dealership from which we purchased the vehicle has already changed the transmission fluid.

Thanks so much!

Loren
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does it only do it when the engine/transmission is cold or also when at operating tempature?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rpappi
does it only do it when the engine/transmission is cold or also when at operating tempature?
Seems like it happens most often when it is cold but still occurs from time to time when the car is at operating temperature.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Loenrc

I have a 2001 TL with 70 thou and a recently replaced under warranty transmision

#1 - My cold/fast idle isnt as high as you-usually about 1200 so there may be something off in the cold start system-idle speed adjustment. You should only wait 1 or 2 minutes and start driving= the car warms up faster that way- per the owners book

Yes it is normal for the warm start idle to be lower. In cold start- the fuel injection runs rich- pumping extra fuel to warm the car. When warm- the computer knows it does not need that rich mixture

When shifting from Park to Reverse with the revs at 1200 there is a small jerk- doesnt do it when warm
The trans is DESIGNED to shift different and feels rougher for the first few minutes when cold- again- built in feature to warm the components- it holds itself in the lower gears longer, As long as it goes away in a few minutes all is well.

You will do yourself a big favor by going to acura.com and registering online in the ownership experience- it has your warranty repair history and details on what are normal and what is bad sign on your transmission. Also call them at 1-800-382-2238 x 5 and register as a new owner- they will tell you many things too= can answer questions and document any concerns you may have- helps later if there is a problem

If you feel slipping in 2nd -3rd gear when warm and under hard loading- bad
D5 on the dash/instruments light flashes while on the gas hard or anytine- BAD

But the good news is they give you a free loaner car and you get a replacement transmission with all the updates- dont even worry about it
Drive the car and enjoy!

See the thread in this forum for Online Owners Manual if your car did not come with a manual- tons of trick stuff built into these cars- a MUST Read

Welcome to the Acura nuts group!!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You said the dealer you bought it from changed the fluid- was it an Acura Dealer?
A used car lot may not have used the SPECIAL Honda/Acura transmission fluid our cars need.
Which records say oil jet needed versus delaer saying already done.
acura.com will know your real history of dealer repairs
When you call Acura to register at the 800 number tell them about the fast idle
They have resources like you cant believe
Old 01-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Warming up your car for a few minutes in the morning until your RPM's drop in the morning is a good way to help warm up your oil, coolant, and fluids before you start driving away. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes at most.

Having said that though, even if you idled until the temp gauge was in the middle (by the way, that's a coolant temp gauge, not oil temp), that doesnt mean your tranny/tranny fluid is up to operating temps, it also doesnt mean your engine/motor oil are fully warmed up fully either. If you have a differntial, thats still ice cold as well.

So on those cold mornings, even after a short warmup, take it easy, and drive gingerly for the first few minutes of your drive. Thats what is going to fully warm up all the lubricated parts of your car. Until that point, a little jerkiness or your transmission is to expected.

If you are really getting the jerkiness after everything has been fully warmed up, then Id speak with teh dealership, and have the complaint noted on your invoice. That way if problems do occur after your warranty expires, you have proof that you sought help much earlier, but were ignored.