Shifting in manual vs SS vs D5

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001, 01:52 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool Shifting in manual vs SS vs D5

Okay - someone mentioned putting the shifter in D1 and shifting up from there.

Well last night I went out hunting some kills and played with the various options. I came close to seeing just how much I could hang with a SVT Mustang, but he bailed after I hung in there. Just a short run from 30-70.

Anyway, I can't claim the D1 approach is faster, but it gave me more control. I also had no problems getting to redline, which I do if I leave it in D5 or use SS. Matter of fact, if you start the shift to D2 at 6800, it'll hit 7000 before you can get it in to D2. The only downside, so to speak, is that the shifts were not as firm as SS mode. Then again it did have a nice lunge to it by letting it hit redline. I'd say it's noticable over the SS mode because it doesn't rap out to redline like the D1 approach.

Anyway - I think I like the D1 approach so far and I'll do some more testing to see which results in more kills and better times.
One last thing about the D1 approach. As you shift up to D3 and higher, if for some reason you need to stop on it again it will kick down automatically in to the lowest gear possible. A nice advantage over SS mode where you have to ratchet it down.

Have fun trying it yourself and oh by the way. The rev limiter kicks in about 7200 or so on mine. I didn't shift until 6900 and it got there really quick. Man this engine loves to rev. :->
Old 05-26-2001, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by Ruf87:
Okay - someone mentioned putting the shifter in D1 and shifting up from there.

Well last night I went out hunting some kills and played with the various options. I came close to seeing just how much I could hang with a SVT Mustang, but he bailed after I hung in there. Just a short run from 30-70.

Anyway, I can't claim the D1 approach is faster, but it gave me more control. I also had no problems getting to redline, which I do if I leave it in D5 or use SS. Matter of fact, if you start the shift to D2 at 6800, it'll hit 7000 before you can get it in to D2. The only downside, so to speak, is that the shifts were not as firm as SS mode. Then again it did have a nice lunge to it by letting it hit redline. I'd say it's noticable over the SS mode because it doesn't rap out to redline like the D1 approach.

Anyway - I think I like the D1 approach so far and I'll do some more testing to see which results in more kills and better times.
One last thing about the D1 approach. As you shift up to D3 and higher, if for some reason you need to stop on it again it will kick down automatically in to the lowest gear possible. A nice advantage over SS mode where you have to ratchet it down.

Have fun trying it yourself and oh by the way. The rev limiter kicks in about 7200 or so on mine. I didn't shift until 6900 and it got there really quick. Man this engine loves to rev. :->
It's because of people like you that I refuse to buy a used car.

Old 05-26-2001, 12:16 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
That's no reason not to buy a used car.

Not maintaining a car is a reason not to buy a new car.

Tell you what. I'll pit my car's condition to yours after 8-10 years any time.

I've never failed to take a car to 10yrs or 100K plus and not have the car in tip top condition.

Car's are meant to be driven and can be driven to their limits everyday if they are maintained properly. As an ex mechanic and racer I know from more than 25 years of experience.

So before you buy a car from anyone make sure and get their service records. Don't attack me for my driving preferences.

Anyway, nothing personal, just the facts. :-)

Originally posted by Raptor:
It's because of people like you that I refuse to buy a used car.

Old 05-26-2001, 02:45 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I'm the one who mentioned using D1. Although there is a delay in the shift, and it goes into the redline area if you take it to 6900 RPM, I notice a stronger kick once in second. Sometimes when I know im gonna get on it right away, I just put it in SS and let first gear shift by itself into second by the computer, then I throw it back into D5 because my tranny shifts the 2 to 3 shift better than I can in SS (it goes to redline anyway).
But hey, I'm glad there is another TL-S guy testing their car out and driving it hard, THAT'S WHAT IT'S MEANT FOR...the key is, however, to baby the car after you push the car to its limits. That's how you break your engine in and get maximum performance.

------------------
2002 Satin Silver TL-S With Navi