shellac thinner

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 12:51 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shellac thinner

has anyone ever try using shellac thinner in their gas tank to clean the fuel system before?it was recommended by scotty kilmer on the tube as being safer to use than seafoam coz seafoam is great for inboard and outboard motors on boats that's why it was invented.it contains oil to lube the upper and lower cylinders,etc on 2 or 4 stroke engines🤔,this oil clogs the catconverter and will do some serious damage to it over time.my whip has 283k on it and is running solid now that i fixed some things on it but i still feel it slightly surge on acceleration and then it takes off even faster..it's a weird feeling but i don't think that i am running at optimal performance.i was also thinking of a valve lash adjustment to quiet the valve lifters a bit and maybe give it a better feel while driving.what do ya think?..thanks.also i just realized that i don't have a type s coz of my shifter knob saying it does and i shouldn't be in this group unless they have a tl base group,idk...
Old 04-29-2023, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
The forum where you originally posted, the AcuraZine User Help, Support & Suggestions Area , is meant for problems, comments, and suggestions for the website itself, so I moved your thread to the car specific forum applicable to your vehicle.

This was explained in the sticky thread at the top of that forum, or click here if you can't find it, which will explain why you shouldn't have posted your thread there.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
The forum where you originally posted, the AcuraZine User Help, Support & Suggestions Area , is meant for problems, comments, and suggestions for the website itself, so I moved your thread to the car specific forum applicable to your vehicle.

This was explained in the sticky thread at the top of that forum, or click here if you can't find it, which will explain why you shouldn't have posted your thread there.
for some reason with this new layout of the forum it's a lot harder to find where i'm supposed to post my questions..bring back the old forum..
Old 04-29-2023, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,754 Likes on 6,751 Posts
Originally Posted by mikes black ac
for some reason with this new layout of the forum it's a lot harder to find where i'm supposed to post my questions..bring back the old forum..

Old 04-29-2023, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,754 Likes on 6,751 Posts
has anyone ever try using shellac thinner in their gas tank to clean the fuel system before?it was recommended by scotty kilmer on the tube as being safer to use than seafoam coz seafoam is great for inboard and outboard motors on boats that's why it was invented.it contains oil to lube the upper and lower cylinders,etc on 2 or 4 stroke engines🤔,this oil clogs the catconverter and will do some serious damage to it over time.my whip has 283k on it and is running solid now that i fixed some things on it but i still feel it slightly surge on acceleration and then it takes off even faster..it's a weird feeling but i don't think that i am running at optimal performance.i was also thinking of a valve lash adjustment to quiet the valve lifters a bit and maybe give it a better feel while driving.what do ya think?..thanks.also i just realized that i don't have a type s coz of my shifter knob saying it does and i shouldn't be in this group unless they have a tl base group,idk...
Do a compression test or dyno to see if you are really "losing power", i don't know how reliable the good ol' butt dyno is . I think it's all snake oil at the end of the day but what I do do to treat my fuel once in a while is throw in a can of Berryman's
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-30-2023, 10:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I hate Scotty. He gesticulates with his frantic hands and acts like he knows what he's saying.
I remember watching a video where he had a Solara V6, and kept calling the accessory belt a "fan belt". FFS man, FWD vehicles have no such thing. I immediately deleted him from my trustworthy YT personalities. I would be shocked if shellacing your car fixed a damn thing!

I have a 200K mile TL, and power delivery is just "OK". Compared to my lower mileage Nissan and Infiniti, I find the power a bit, hmmm...maybe soft at low end, but OK at higher end? Doesn't seem "broken" to me, just seems like an old, senior car. I test drove an Acura Legend with 50K miles on it before buying my TL, and the power delivery on that was worse (I had a brand new 1995 Legend back in the day, I think cars were just slower than we remember). I really wouldn't go down any rabbit holes if it runs OK, is predictable and has no CEL. It may just be "tired".

When I recently tuned up and replaced the valve cover gaskets on my TL, the intake manifold and throttle body were completely gunked up. There's lot's of other more reasonable things to try before you get desperate and go with shellac.
The following users liked this post:
Jon M (05-01-2023)