Serpentine replacement, now it’s slower?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020 | 11:22 AM
Cruisin'

Serpentine replacement, now it’s slower?

What’s going on guys? After the power steering fiasco. I decided to get a few preemptive parts just in case. The serpentine belt being one of them. Low and behold, buy the part need the part is real life. My alternator bracket snapped off, and this is something no body even knows about anymore. Luckily, I’m lucky and ended up with one for free that was within walking distance, and within an hour. Since alternator was laying over to the side, it was the perfect time to replace the belt. Easy enough, new belt went on, bracket got tightened up alternator found its home. Everything seemed perfect, except it doesn’t have the acceleration it did, too end is fine but from stopped it.... it.... it’s like not my TL S. I reset the ecu to relearn everything and that helped 45% but I’m missing 55% of my Acura. No codes, no strange noises, no funny misfires, it seems to be perfect, only it’s not. Has this happened to anyone else? I did change the oil but that was during the power steering issue and it seemed fine before.

The grounding position was bout a half inch longer, but it just connects the wires to the bracket. I will order a genuine oem on line and switch it out if y’all think the issue is with the bracket, but the new one is steel and not likely to snap off in 27 degree mornings.
Old 01-23-2020 | 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

go back and recheck everything i would say. when you replaced that bracket, did you give the grounding point a good brush up to remove and deposits that would prevent good conductivity?
Old 01-23-2020 | 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Did you replace the tensioner? I'm wondering if for whatever reason the belt/tensioner or even the alternator if providing undue stress on the crank and ultimately 'slowing down' your car.
Old 01-23-2020 | 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah, I love shiny metal. As a kid I’d find car parts in the dishwasher from my dad, take a part off, clean it, put back it back on. Guess that kinda stuff always sticks with you. So it’s literally 3 bolts, 1 to block, 1 to alternator, 1 to grounding position. Not a lot of meat left on that bone. Any chance the.... uhmmm.... is.... uhmmmm..... yeah, I’ve got nothing. Maybe the tensioner pulley, wait, what about why it broke in the first place? Not a usual part that breaks? What would make my mounting bracket snap off like that?
Old 01-23-2020 | 12:00 PM
Cruisin'

Spot on, with the tensioner pulley question, that’s gonna be my next fault check. Still these are all results of something going wrong and not the source of the problem. Why would the bracket snap, or why would the pulley be bad?
Old 01-23-2020 | 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I believe that the bracket has a design flaw. A lot of people have had them snap.
Old 01-24-2020 | 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

Beautiful, I’m glad I got one that’s steel now. Plus, a little research and problem solved. Nothing as huge as a tensioner pulley, or even a serpentine belt. No, the problem goes back to the high pressure power steering line I replaced. While looking at other issues on my punch list I found that I have vacuum hoses running to my motor mounts, and the rear mount happens to be right beside where the high pressure line went. 2+2=4 while getting high pressure line in must have disconnected vacuum line to rear motor mount. The ground was wet this morning and I was in my work closes, so I removed the actuator and capped the lines. My baby runs like a Scalded Ape! Once ground is dry I’ll reconnect everything, but for now, she’s back to being my favorite car ever!

Actuator, vacuum from manifold to this paintball gun, then to the mounts

These were extra bolts I found in the trunk, but they work for stopping vacuum leaks.