Second time trying to install Stone Headers fails

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:16 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Second time trying to install Stone Headers fails

So my first time trying to have my Stone headers installed, the A-Pipe lined up correctly, but the placement for the O2 sensor was completely off (it was touching the oil pan). So following the dealer's advice, I had my stock headers put back on. This ran me $200 for the install, and $200 for the uninstall. Total cost : $400 for headers, $400 for install = $800.

I called Nashua, and he mailed me out a second A-pipe. I brought my car to a mechanic I know that does aftermarket installs on lots of Honda/Acuras. I gave him both A-pipes just incase.

The new A-pipe didn't line up what-so-ever. Following the Comptech directions and Nashua's directions to not tighten any bolts beforehand and then lining up everything, the A-pipe was still about 1.5" off from lining up to the exhaust. It was so bad that the bolt was lining up with where the exhaust flows through. Oh, the O2 sensor alignment was perfect though.

He put the old A-pipe on and he was able to get that one to bolt up... but like the first time, the O2 sensor was hitting the oil pan and we both agreed that it was too dangerous to leave it that way.

He took digital pictures of how poorly the new A-pipe lined up and I'll post them up once I get them ... but I'd just like to say that I think Stone headers SUCK and I have now wasted a total of $1000+ not to mention my time and I still have my stock headers on my car. I am going to ask Nashua back for a FULL refund, but last time that got me absolutely no where. Anyone interested in buying the Stone headers, BEWARE! You're probably better off buying the OBX headers... at least those seem to bolt on.

Anyone want to sell me a set of used or new comptech headers cheap? At least I know they'll bolt on correctly.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow...that sucks...sorry to hear...i hate to be out 1k and still not have what i wanted
Old 02-28-2004, 05:15 AM
Banned

1000 can get you the comptech one already
Old 02-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by REV-01
1000 can get you the comptech one already
He knows. Thanks for making him feel even better. Lol j/k

Sorry to hear about this man. But maybe you are helping someone from making the same mistake you did. GOod luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by vandy786
He knows. Thanks for making him feel even better. Lol j/k

Sorry to hear about this man. But maybe you are helping someone from making the same mistake you did. GOod luck and let us know how it turns out.
Yeah I'm definitely kicking myself for spending so much money only to not even have a set of working headers!!!!

But I'm totally posting this here to warn others about Stone (that and because I'm looking for comptechs now) ... A problem one time is forgiveable, no product is ever perfect, but a second bad piece makes me cautious about ever buying anything except Comptech.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you get the new version of the Stone's?
Old 02-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Drifting

you said stock headers, didn't know acura made um or are you talking about the standard exhaust system you got with your acura?
Old 02-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by `ill*tl
Did you get the new version of the Stone's?
The first down pipe I had that had the misaligned O2 sensor was from the first batch. The second down pipe I had that had the good O2 sensor but wouldn't line up anywhere close to my exhaust was the second batch I believe.

you said stock headers, didn't know acura made um or are you talking about the standard exhaust system you got with your acura?
Sorry I meant the stock exhaust system. They're technically headers I guess, but not aftermarket headers ... just whatever OEM parts come with the car when you buy them.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by LiQiCE

Sorry I meant the stock exhaust system. They're technically headers I guess, but not aftermarket headers ... just whatever OEM parts come with the car when you buy them.
exhaust manifolds their called...it doesnt matter tho....dont know why that guys beign so picky
Old 03-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Liquid Ice

Here are the pictures that the installer took:

First downpipe, O2 sensor is touching the oil pan. Had trouble even getting the O2 sensor into the downpipe:

More of the same:

Next two pics are of the 2nd downpipe, as you can see the downpipe doesn't line up with the exhaust. Drilling the holes out bigger wouldn't have helped, they're way off:

Old 03-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Pro

that's a pretty bad, shoddy product. It's too bad you had to spend alot of your hard earned money to find out the hard way. You should demand your money back and money that you sepnt trying to install DEFECTIVE parts. That's total BS, raise a stink with them.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Does this mean Stone headers are garbage?
Old 03-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Liquid Ice

Unfortunately, Stone Headers come with NO expressed warranty. Nashua_Night_Hawk the person over on acura-cl.com who has been doing the Group Buys for Stone Headers has been using this as his excuse for not giving me any sort of compensation. He told me that he was generous enough to replace the first downpipe with a second downpipe (which is also defective).

I don't necessarily think that Stone headers are garbage in general, but I think your chances of getting a product which doesn't fit properly is probably A LOT more likely than with Comptech and unlike OBX, Stone comes with no warranty and are based in Europe so the manufacturer does not necessarily have to stand by their product.

If you're thinking about buying Stone headers, just remember caveat emptor (buyer beware)!!!!!!

Personally, I've given up on Stone, and I've purchased a set of Comptech headers which I know will fit on my car. Even if they don't, I'm sure Comptech is willing to stand by their product while Stone prefers to take my $400 and run for the hills.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Type S Lady
Does this mean Stone headers are garbage?
No, of course not. I got Stone headers, and it performs admirably. I got the first batch of Stone headers that came out, and it was a slightly tight fit, but did manage to get it installed OK. My mechanic followed the instructions that Comptech and Nashua gave, have no problems whatsoever. And I'm loving every second of it when I go WOT.

Liqice: sorry to hear about your problems. There are only 2 things I can think of that's giving you problems: either your mechanic is incompetent, or the set of Stone headers you have somehow is not the same as the rest of ours. You should find out from Nashua if there are 2 different sets of Stone headers floating around (maybe he gave you headers that fit another car by accident?). If their are only one set of Stone headers, then either Nashua packaged them wrong or your mechanic doesn't know squat about installing aftermarket parts. I feel for you bro, that you got problems and you are mad about spending all that money (heck I would be too if it happened to me), but Stone headers have so far proven to be a good product for the rest of us that have them. Get in touch with Nashua and see what he can do to help you out.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by patrick
No, of course not. I got Stone headers, and it performs admirably. I got the first batch of Stone headers that came out, and it was a slightly tight fit, but did manage to get it installed OK. My mechanic followed the instructions that Comptech and Nashua gave, have no problems whatsoever. And I'm loving every second of it when I go WOT.

Liqice: sorry to hear about your problems. There are only 2 things I can think of that's giving you problems: either your mechanic is incompetent, or the set of Stone headers you have somehow is not the same as the rest of ours. You should find out from Nashua if there are 2 different sets of Stone headers floating around (maybe he gave you headers that fit another car by accident?). If their are only one set of Stone headers, then either Nashua packaged them wrong or your mechanic doesn't know squat about installing aftermarket parts. I feel for you bro, that you got problems and you are mad about spending all that money (heck I would be too if it happened to me), but Stone headers have so far proven to be a good product for the rest of us that have them. Get in touch with Nashua and see what he can do to help you out.
Have you ever thought that there's a quality control problem with the headers? Just because yours fit doesn't mean that I have the wrong headers or the person installing it is a moron. Didn't you look at the pictures? You can tell that the O2 sensor is misaligned in the first one, and in the second you can tell that the downpipe is WAY out of alignment. I got not one, but two downpipes which were made improperly. Nashua himself has said that 70% of his customers had no problems. While Nashua maybe boasting his 70% positive rating, in my book 70% is pretty awful. IIRC, Acura themselves have gotten a pretty bum reputation about their transmissions ... all because of a few cars (less than 1% according to Acura) that exhibit a problem with the transmission. If 1% is good enough to tarnish Acura's reputation, then 30% is obviously a problem ... I can bet that Stone Racing is not ISO 9000 Certified too.

By saying that yours are fine only proves that SOME of the Stone headers were put together correctly. From what I understand, Stone headers are welded by hand (not by machine which is what was originally promised). So there is a potential to get some that fit just fine and some that don't fit at all.

This post is mostly a warning to you guys that might be considering purchasing Stone Racing headers. The quality of them is not nearly as good as Comptech, and probably not as good as OBX. If you have no problems with the headers then you're probably going to be fine, but if you DO have problems then most likely you'll never see a refund and you'll have wasted $400 on the headers.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Pro

Thumbs down

hahah stone headers. sounds like the guys who made it were stoned.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:18 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Damn F That, I was going to get headers soon...and I wanted Stone headers cause of the price.

Not anymore, with my luck I would get the jacked up ones also, Ill just save some more and get Comptech.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Liquid Ice

Was told by Nashua that I could just wrap the O2 sensor in high temperature resistent rubber and that even if the O2 sensor burned out that I'd be OK ...

I seem to recall a lot of OBX header owners having problems when their O2 sensor burned out.

Can anyone back me up on this? I don't believe burning out the O2 sensor is a good thing.