Seatback heater died

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seatback heater died

Well, chalk up another failed seat heater...

My seatback is no longer getting warm. Figures it would fail during the coldest week we've had in NJ in the past few years.

Oh well, I made an apointment with the dealer for monday morning. Oddly enough when I called the service guy sounded puzzled that only the back had failed. He kept claiming that it's all one unit. But I've got to imagine there are multiple heating elements in there, at least one for the bottom and one for the back.

Also mentioned that in the last few hundred miles the tranny fluid turned brown, he said they would take a look at it when I brought it in. Who knows exactly what that means.

He said I'd probably have to leave it for a day or two, but they would have a loaner for me. Does anyone know what Precision Acura in Princeton NJ gives for loaners? Another Acura, or am I going to get stuck with some POS from a rent-a-car place.

Dave
Old 01-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Re: Seatback heater died

Originally posted by 2002TLSNavi
Well, chalk up another failed seat heater...

My seatback is no longer getting warm. Figures it would fail during the coldest week we've had in NJ in the past few years.

Oh well, I made an apointment with the dealer for monday morning. Oddly enough when I called the service guy sounded puzzled that only the back had failed. He kept claiming that it's all one unit. But I've got to imagine there are multiple heating elements in there, at least one for the bottom and one for the back.

Also mentioned that in the last few hundred miles the tranny fluid turned brown, he said they would take a look at it when I brought it in. Who knows exactly what that means.

He said I'd probably have to leave it for a day or two, but they would have a loaner for me. Does anyone know what Precision Acura in Princeton NJ gives for loaners? Another Acura, or am I going to get stuck with some POS from a rent-a-car place.

Dave
had the same problem fixed under warranty, seems common enough.... I've seen several posts
Old 01-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My heater element on my drivers seat went out in the early part of last winter a year ago. The bottom part would not heat up at all. The back part of the seat heated as normal on Hi & Low settings. The dealer had to keep the car for over a day & the part had to be ordered. I had a 2002 CHEVY MALIBU V6 loaner car from Enterprise Rental. I was very happy to get my 2000 TL back.
I don't know if its one unit or not but like I said mine worked as normal on the back part & the bottom was not working at all. The part they ordered said element.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Peach Tea

some fat a$$ person sat down on my seat and now i dont think the passanger side heater works. fawking lard a$$es
Old 01-29-2003, 07:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by badazzTL
some fat a$$ person sat down on my seat and now i dont think the passanger side heater works. fawking lard a$$es
dun tell me is mike!!
Old 01-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by this is me

dun tell me is mike!!
either mike or joey, one of them
fat azz
Old 02-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Well, I brought my car to the dealer this morning.

They just called me about 20 min ago. Yep, it's the heating element in the seatback. There is a 3 week backorder, so I'm going to have to bring my car back when they get the part. Gee thanks, it was kind of obvious what was the problem, you'd think they would have the friggin part on hand.

Also let them know that my trans fluid was starting to turn brown. They told me that it does look dirty, but they road tested it and it shifts fine (which it does, I really haven't noticed the trans acting up at all, knock on wood). And they recommend changing it soon. He said the reccomended interval for trans fluid change was 60k, I couldn't find anything about it on the owners link, and obviously my manual is in the glovebox in the dealers parking lot, so I can't check, but I recall that in the table with all the reccomended maintenance for normal driving conditions that the interval was closer to 100k.

Not that I have any problem with changing the fluid at 30k if thats what needs to be done, but he seemed to imply that it could have something to do with my driving habits... I really don't drive the car hard... 80% highway driving between 60 and 80mph about 60 miles per day...

Oh well... I guess I'll just change the fluid next weekend, and see how long it take before it turns brown again. I'll be bringing it back in in about 3 weeks anyway when the heater comes in...

Dave
Old 02-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

i thought the tranny flush was done at 30k?
Old 02-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Instructor

i thought the tranny flush was done at 30k?
Nope.... I looked at my manual last night. 120k normal, 60k severe.

I called the dealer this morning on my way to work to express my concerns at needing to change the fluid at 1/2 the severe service interval. He didn't seem to concerned about it. Basically said he would recommend changing it, but that I don't have to. If I let it go it won't void my warranty or anything. I'm definatly going to change it. Oddly enough he didn't even reccommend doing a flush, just a single drain and replace.

If I get around to it before I hit 30k (just over 24k now) I'll do it myself, otherwise when I bring it in for the 30k service I'll let them deal with it. Pretty much depends on the weather. Been pretty nice in NJ the last few days, but who knows if we are due for another stretch of 11° highs.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 2002TLSNavi

Nope.... I looked at my manual last night. 120k normal, 60k severe.

I called the dealer this morning on my way to work to express my concerns at needing to change the fluid at 1/2 the severe service interval. He didn't seem to concerned about it. Basically said he would recommend changing it, but that I don't have to. If I let it go it won't void my warranty or anything. I'm definatly going to change it. Oddly enough he didn't even reccommend doing a flush, just a single drain and replace.

If I get around to it before I hit 30k (just over 24k now) I'll do it myself, otherwise when I bring it in for the 30k service I'll let them deal with it. Pretty much depends on the weather. Been pretty nice in NJ the last few days, but who knows if we are due for another stretch of 11° highs.
I think it varies from dealer to dealer on when the tranny fluid is changed. With my dealership at the 30K service interval the trans fluid is changed as a part of this service.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I would have the dealer do it NOW. Better safe than sorry and additional ammunition if your tranny ever fails.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by badazzTL

either mike or joey, one of them
fat azz
im so much lighter than you..

your the one with man tits fat @ss!

Old 02-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Instructor

I would have the dealer do it NOW. Better safe than sorry and additional ammunition if your tranny ever fails
Yea, I'm most likely going to do it tommorow. I bought 13qts of ATF from a honda dealer by work and was going to do it tonight, but I didn't realize I needed to replace crush washers on the drain and fill plugs. So needless to say, I have to make a trip to the acura dealer tommorow (not sure if honda dealer would have those, probably but the acura dealer is only another couple of miles down the road)

Going on a road trip to Rhode Island on friday morning, so I want to have it done before I leave for some peace of mind.