San Antonio streets suck...dont go there w/out stock rims/tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio streets suck...dont go there w/out stock rims/tires

yes, i was in san antonio, texas this weekend and it was hell gettinga round....the freeways and streets are all cracked, potholed or completely none existant...the only decent area is around the river walk cause of the brick pavement. either way, im glad i have the stock tires and rims cause i hit some of the potholes pretty hard.

the rims didnt get damaged at all, neither did the tires. the great thing is that we had a great time in SA, so i didnt mind the street conditions too much, but if i would have taken out a tire or two, ugh, that would be a different story.

anyway, save urself the trouble and dont go to san antonio unless you have to...cuase sooner or later, everyone ruins their tires/rims there.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:35 PM
Advanced

I live in San Antonio and don't have problems with hardly any streets. You must have been on the south or west side where there is alot bad neighborhoods and messed up streets. S.A. is a nice town, with alot of nice places to live. I live 281 and 1604 area, nice and smooth roads here.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

actually i stayed at a friends house which was off thousand oaks and ih35. we went to a party down off zaragoza and theo...which i admit is a bad neighborhood...but after seeing every street sign and fence tagged all around town..i think thw whole city is trashed...

regardless, we also went looking for camargo park off hwy 90 and callaghan since there is gonna be a car show there in two weeks, although i think i wont be attending...and finally, downtown...where all the tourists hang out and romanticize SA
Old 03-04-2002, 05:20 PM
Cruisin'

I lived in SA for 2 years (Huebner/I-10) and didn't have too many problems with the streets. I guess the NW side must be better kept or something. I can't wait until they finish the I-10/410 construction area, though.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

We New Yorkers (City) have to deal with sh*tty streets all over the 5 boroughs....so I don't know if I will be lowering my TL-S. Perhaps Hydrolics?
Old 03-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by tlssvtf150mr2
I lived in SA for 2 years (Huebner/I-10) and didn't have too many problems with the streets. I guess the NW side must be better kept or something. I can't wait until they finish the I-10/410 construction area, though.
yea in like 2010! :P Been waiting for that thing to be finished for years. lol
Old 03-04-2002, 06:47 PM
Advanced

Yea that is the bad side of town where they really don't care about the streets, etc. Rememeber this isn't Austin with all the money people, this is a lower class town, but with a much bigger population than Austin or Dallas. Houston is the only one bigger than us in Texas.

Originally posted by systek
actually i stayed at a friends house which was off thousand oaks and ih35. we went to a party down off zaragoza and theo...which i admit is a bad neighborhood...but after seeing every street sign and fence tagged all around town..i think thw whole city is trashed...

regardless, we also went looking for camargo park off hwy 90 and callaghan since there is gonna be a car show there in two weeks, although i think i wont be attending...and finally, downtown...where all the tourists hang out and romanticize SA
Old 03-04-2002, 09:24 PM
Race Director

Being from a military family, I grew up in San Antonio and lived there for 17 years, I know the old population line...bigger than Dallas, bigger than...whatever. SA is still a small town with small ideas and a long way to go before becoming the "big city".

I have to disagree with the roads, the freeways on the N, NE, NW sides of town are not bad at all. Maybe you should see some of the streets in winter-torn Chicago or Minneapolis, then you'll know what potholes and broken roads are all about. Go West or go east or go South...trouble.

Not trying to be down on SA, but I thought being #10 in population meant something more than just having a lot of people crammed in one area of have "unlimited" city limits. It doesn't. After living in NY, Mpls, KC...well SA is just not "it".

BTW, I went the Theodore Roosevelt H.S. back in the 80s when it was a nice school, I hear it's changed and that now I shouldn't even admit this.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Well, per the 2001 report S.A. was a bit bigger than Dallas including all the sub areas. Dallas is just more spread out while s.a. is all cramed into one area really. That is a official report.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Well, per the 2001 report S.A. was a bit bigger than Dallas including all the sub areas. Dallas is just more spread out while s.a. is all cramed into one area really. That is a official report.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe it was a bad ride because of your springs.... I know when I went to El Paso, the ride was unbarable!
Old 03-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

the drive in SA can get unbearable, i was just warning ya'll out of towners/staters..

...as for me, ive lived in texas all my life, so i have seen how SA has and has not changed....its still a city that i wouldnt want to live in.

yes, the freeways on the N, Nw sides are great, cause they are new. also, the "loop" is nice and smooth, but its a huge speed trap w/the speed limit being only 50 mph, what a joke. btw, some of those 25mph exits were fun doing at 65..!!!! no joke..(IH35just past El Mercado, Durango/Nogalitos exit from the lower level)
Old 03-05-2002, 10:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
systek: is that picture of you running your car??? if so, what was your 1/4 time? what about reaction time?

ive been to both austin and san an and san an does have nice roads (at least where i stayed at...which was around the alamo). let me ask you austin and san an people something....where are all the asians at?! LOL i was in a hotel in san an and austin and wanted to go get some asian food for breakfast. I looked in the yellow pages and didn't see anything! did i overlooked or what?
Old 03-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TLBaller
systek: is that picture of you running your car??? if so, what was your 1/4 time? what about reaction time?

ive been to both austin and san an and san an does have nice roads (at least where i stayed at...which was around the alamo). let me ask you austin and san an people something....where are all the asians at?! LOL i was in a hotel in san an and austin and wanted to go get some asian food for breakfast. I looked in the yellow pages and didn't see anything! did i overlooked or what?
yes, thats me racing at baytown....my best time was 14.90 at 94.? mph...that is w/spare tire removed and a strong wind out of the north...

asian/???? i dont know, im mexican...:p but ask jyang...he's asian and may know about some places here in austin...
Old 03-06-2002, 04:24 AM
Banned

systek:
Ha and you call ME a post whore...heh heh totally useless post that should be in O/T

Austin519
Old 03-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Advanced

Re: the drive in SA can get unbearable, i was just warning ya'll out of towners/staters..

50?!

1604 is 70mph about 75% of the way around till it hits universal city then it goes down to 65.

410 is 60mph all around except on the south side which it is 70.

281 is 60 till you get into town then its 55mph for a short period. Then on the outer ends its 65mph till it hits 70 outside of 1604.

I35 is 65 from DT all the way to Shertz then its 70mph.

I haven't seen a 50mph speed limit in ages...dunno where you got that from. Also the freeways on the North side has been there as long as any other freeway in this town. More than 15 yrs at least since I have been driving.

Originally posted by systek
...as for me, ive lived in texas all my life, so i have seen how SA has and has not changed....its still a city that i wouldnt want to live in.

yes, the freeways on the N, Nw sides are great, cause they are new. also, the "loop" is nice and smooth, but its a huge speed trap w/the speed limit being only 50 mph, what a joke. btw, some of those 25mph exits were fun doing at 65..!!!! no joke..(IH35just past El Mercado, Durango/Nogalitos exit from the lower level)
Old 03-06-2002, 08:07 AM
Advanced

We are a spanish town man. We mainly have Mexican food and the best in the U.S. at that! Austin is behind the times for restraunts compared to us though except the weird ones.

Also, Houston streets are about 10x worse than ours. I went there in my old car, and man, it screwed my tranny up when there was a drop off on the highway my tranny got jarred to the point where it would not shift anymore, I had to pull over turn off the car and restart it. This was in my 96 Maxima. I was told the tranny fluid got flushed or out of place in the tranny, whatever it was, and it caused it to not shift. lol!

Originally posted by TLBaller

Old 03-06-2002, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

50mph...you must not go downtown often. i was on i35/i10 on the WEST side of downtown. i had been travelling towards downtown from 410N on i10. there were alot of cops out, which i can undertstand why, easy prey.

also, i grew up in alice and every year the family would drive up during xmas to my grandparents place in midland...that required going through SA. so i got to see the city when that same area that is now 50mph, was old, was being rebuilt to the mess it is now, and of course the way it is now. ive seen that construction slowly get done on i10, up by 410 and beyond warzbach...now its 410s turn. as for the renovations over on 35 after the loop, we never headed that way so i never got to see that get fixed.

the restaurants around El Mercado and the Riverwalk are the only reason i bother going, other than visiting friends. but there is a car audio comp at mateo camargo park, which i may attend...
Old 03-06-2002, 03:55 PM
Cruisin'

tlballer, I can't think of any asian restaurants open for breakfast in SA and Austin. Are there some in Houston? There are a few Japanese restaurants I'd recommend for lunch/dinner, though.

I agree w/ Speedy. that SA has the best Mexican food around (although my favorite place, Margarita's on Callaghan/Culebra is no more). I haven't found anything close in Austin. If anyone has a suggestion, please offer it up.

I'd also agree that Houston (Clear Lake, at least) has the worst roads of them all. I thought the I-10 construction in SA between 410/Wurzbach took a while; the construction on I-45 never seems to end.

My main gripe w/ Austin are the rock chips. I got one a month after I bought my TLS. I noticed that the plastic chrome grill parts have rock scratches, too. Ugh... My other vehicles' front/hood aren't doing too well, either.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

have u tried margarita's on i35 between 3406 and sam bass???? it used to be pretty good but the last time i was there(last month) it wasnt as good...but it may have been just me...frozen margaritas are always pretty good though.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:06 PM
Pro

Don't like SA ...... stay in Austin! As simple as that. But most of all ......... stop whining already!!
Old 03-06-2002, 07:55 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by SybariticOne
Don't like SA ...... stay in Austin! As simple as that. But most of all ......... stop whining already!!
u go boy! :P
Old 03-07-2002, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

who's whining, we were talking about restaurants...