safety recall problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safety recall problems

OK, so i have an 02 tl-s with a salvaged title. tranny went at 33k miles, paid $4300 for a new one. then, about two months ago i get a letter from honda about a safety recall and possible reimbursement. so i send off all my info.

get a call from honda today. ive been declined for a reimbursement, not for the salvaged title (which obviously voids the factory warranty), but rather because the recall doesn't apply to my faulty transmission. this is bull. it was clearly a faulty transmission and i was nearly involved in a major accident when it died on me. thier response was that it doesn't qualify because

A. the car had low miles (which would seem to suggest a defect to me)

B. the mechanic was able to take it on a test drive after it was towed to his shop.

I had given up on any compesation from honda because of the salvaged title, but now that it isnt a factor under a safety recall, these reasons seem ridiculous to me. im considering some sort of legal action or at least talking to a lawyer.

anybody have any advice on this matter?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
due to the car having a salvaged title honda isnt required to do any thing, or reimburse. the recall is a vollantary recall, its not the same as a manditory recall

as for their reasons those arent reasons to decline. i would call back their # and try talking to someone else again. and complain. thats about your only options
Old 02-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Racer

yeah the bastads wouldnt hel me out because of my salvage title. i went and got my tranny rebuilt with literally bulletproof internals. $2800 cash.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro

actually they are accountable due to the safety recall, but not the voluntary recall. the salvage title doesnt matter in this case. very dissapointed in their explanation and justification for denying my request. i'm going to continue to look into it and i'll keep everyone updated.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Black-n-Tan
actually they are accountable due to the safety recall, but not the voluntary recall. the salvage title doesnt matter in this case. very dissapointed in their explanation and justification for denying my request. i'm going to continue to look into it and i'll keep everyone updated.
theres 2 problems:

1) 2nd gear over heats due to not being lubricated/cooled enough. the gear gets hot and becomes discolored and eventually chips the teeth on the gears.

2) the 3rd gear clutch pack disintegrates and the debris clogs up the internals and the filter causing tranny failure.

problem 1 is covered under a recall, if your 2nd gear is in bad shape they give u a new tranny FREE. ig you have problem 2, which is part of the extended warranty you are not coveed due to the warranty being void due to the salvage title.

i had problem 2. so the best they could do was say good luck and "we can give you some prices to repair"

screw that i dont trust the crappy acura tranny clutches. if u end up geting it done somewhere see if they can use kevlar clutches. they are avalible from borg-warner