RSX-S vs TL-S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 03:14 PM
WhizzBomb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RSX-S vs TL-S?

So here's the question:

02 RSX-S 6 spd manual with AEM CAI vs 03 TL-S auto with AEM CAI. My friend just got the RSX and he's convinced that with iVTEC he'll smoke me. I'm pretty sure he'd kick my ass off the line but I'd make up for with the extra hp. Am I right?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Instructor

you should win easily. ran my friend's rsx at the track numerous times. rsx ran 15.3-15.5. i ran a 14.9-15.0. he may take you off the line cuz of the manual tranny but once u hit vtec its over. from a roll u would kill him
Old 08-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Instructor

my friend has a 04' accord coupe V6 6 speed manual, with V2, and exhaust and we raced a rsx-s ASPEC and it was a close race for the first 1/2 mile but then we just pulled away. But that guy was a crazy good driver.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:55 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
whats with the "convinced that with iVTEC he'll smoke me".... its as if our cars dont have vtec? well correct me if im wrong

anyway, im pretty sure you'll win. but yeah like you said off the line he might gain then the additional hp/torque on ur tl will get it back and beat him soon enough.

tell us how it went once you get him

Originally Posted by Whizzbomb
So here's the question:

02 RSX-S 6 spd manual with AEM CAI vs 03 TL-S auto with AEM CAI. My friend just got the RSX and he's convinced that with iVTEC he'll smoke me. I'm pretty sure he'd kick my ass off the line but I'd make up for with the extra hp. Am I right?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2004, 11:05 PM
WDP Is Faster

I have a Stock TL-S and i sometimes drive my bro's STock RSX-S. And i must say..that TL..just tops the RSX in performance. Maybe it's just my opinion ..but i feel that way. The power for the TL is strong throughout the whole range of RPMs from 1k to the very end...and well..the RSX REALLY pulls (atleast it feels like it) at higher rpms..when it's too late to recover. But..if anything..RSX would get the TL off the line..cuz with the tires i have..(atleast for my TL) my wheel spins ..for 1 sec..which lets the RSX really take off before you start getting traction. But most definetly..stock for stock..TL tops the RSX w/ performance and handling! :thumsup:

So..with the same mod..unless the rsx responds way better..i'm pretty sure TL will win.

I've always tried to convince my bro to just race for fun..to solve this every so big mystery...but he he just doesn't want to ahha..YOU KNOW WHY! hehe
Old 08-31-2004, 11:57 PM
Advanced

i raced many RSX-S.....as a matter of fact one just a few weeks ago.. it was a black RSX-S in Houston....debagdged....

so on the highway....i see bright ass hyper whites coming up on me...he pulls beside me...i see his rims and drop and stuff....so i let him know im game.... i throw it into SS down to 2nd gear around 50.....i hear his intake....as he downshifts......i let him jump...then i take the jump....i kill him pretty bad....so we pull off to the feeder and he told me he couldnt get into the right gear...so we go from a stop....i let him take of first from a 20 mph punch..didnt want to draw ne attention of others so thats why we did it from a roll......i immediatly hopped 1 car on him and stayed there til about id like to say 95ish is when his im guessing 3rd or 4th gear started to pull DAYM hard on me....surprised the hell out of me...but in the end i got him by like a little less then half a car...we pulled over to a Sheelll and discussed our cars.....he had Intake,JDM Header, TYPE R THROTTLE body, exhaust, Pulleys, AEM fuel rail and a VTEC controller...all i have is a aem cai intake....and a BIG ASS CUSTOM TRUNK. (JL 12w7,JL 1000/1, Phoenix Gold Amps etc.)
Old 09-01-2004, 12:21 AM
woooo!!

Originally Posted by htownaccord
i raced many RSX-S.....as a matter of fact one just a few weeks ago.. it was a black RSX-S in Houston....debagdged....

so on the highway....i see bright ass hyper whites coming up on me...he pulls beside me...i see his rims and drop and stuff....so i let him know im game.... i throw it into SS down to 2nd gear around 50.....i hear his intake....as he downshifts......i let him jump...then i take the jump....i kill him pretty bad....so we pull off to the feeder and he told me he couldnt get into the right gear...so we go from a stop....i let him take of first from a 20 mph punch..didnt want to draw ne attention of others so thats why we did it from a roll......i immediatly hopped 1 car on him and stayed there til about id like to say 95ish is when his im guessing 3rd or 4th gear started to pull DAYM hard on me....surprised the hell out of me...but in the end i got him by like a little less then half a car...we pulled over to a Sheelll and discussed our cars.....he had Intake,JDM Header, TYPE R THROTTLE body, exhaust, Pulleys, AEM fuel rail and a VTEC controller...all i have is a aem cai intake....and a BIG ASS CUSTOM TRUNK. (JL 12w7,JL 1000/1, Phoenix Gold Amps etc.)
nicee... even with all those mods he couldnt catch up
pretty sure you have a tl-s since you didnt mention.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:30 AM
WDP Is Faster

damn..that sounds like a lot of mods that guy had..im impressed. nice win
Old 09-01-2004, 05:22 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
RSX-S's are pretty fast, but from a stop they're hard to launch properly. NA with a bunch of bolt-ons, they can run high 13s in the 1/4 mile when they're driven properly. So watch out! Even stock the RSX-S when driven right will give you a good run ... But most people aren't willing to drop their clutch @ 6000 rpms to get a good launch. So generally speaking stock vs. stock the TL-S will have the advantage down low because of all the extra torque.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:26 AM
WhizzBomb

[QUOTE=subtledreamer]whats with the "convinced that with iVTEC he'll smoke me".... its as if our cars dont have vtec? well correct me if im wrong

I know we have VTEC (not quite that much of a noob but I thought iVTEC was different somehow (?) I'm honestly not sure if there is a difference or if I've been suckered into some BS marketing. Anyone?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Liquid Ice

[QUOTE=Whizzbomb]
Originally Posted by subtledreamer
whats with the "convinced that with iVTEC he'll smoke me".... its as if our cars dont have vtec? well correct me if im wrong

I know we have VTEC (not quite that much of a noob but I thought iVTEC was different somehow (?) I'm honestly not sure if there is a difference or if I've been suckered into some BS marketing. Anyone?

Thanks
i-VTEC is the "next generation" of VTEC. The i stands for intelligent ...

I believe instead of having just 2 or 3 cam profiles, it can continuously vary valve timing which allows for a more linear power delivery. It improves the mid-range mostly.. You'll notice in our cars when you hit VTEC, there's a distinct change in the engine sound and the car pulls more... However, in the RSX-S with i-VTEC the engine gets progressively louder and louder ... there isn't as much of a sense of a switchover to VTEC like in our cars.

You can read up on i-VTEC here on the Temple of VTEC's Asia site: http://asia.vtec.net/article/ivtec/
Old 09-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Banned

Those V6 Accords are damn quick.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LiQiCE

I believe instead of having just 2 or 3 cam profiles, it can continuously vary valve timing which allows for a more linear power delivery. It improves the mid-range mostly.. You'll notice in our cars when you hit VTEC, there's a distinct change in the engine sound and the car pulls more... However, in the RSX-S with i-VTEC the engine gets progressively louder and louder ... there isn't as much of a sense of a switchover to VTEC like in our cars.

You can read up on i-VTEC here on the Temple of VTEC's Asia site: http://asia.vtec.net/article/ivtec/
i thought i vtec meant thats its a straight 4 cylinder car
Old 09-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by Natismati
i thought i vtec meant thats its a straight 4 cylinder car
Nope, my S2000 is a straight 4 and it has regular VTEC. The new '05 Accord Hybrid and '05 Honda Oddysey also have i-VTEC in them and they're both V6s. Check out the link I provided ... i-VTEC is just a newer version of VTEC.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:46 PM
woooo!!

Originally Posted by LiQiCE

coool, thanks for info and link!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:42 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-S CAI vs -S CAI sould be a SO close it would all depend on who starts first OR if its on light traffic, the craziest (better) drive would win.

but drag wise, this should be SOOOOO CLOSE!! check numbers online...both 0-60 in 6.1-6.2s constant, 1/4mi of mid 14s on both...hmmm, tough call