Rough day for the TL..

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 03:00 PM
holla!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough day for the TL..

This saturday i decided to take a few friends who were visting me from back east down to seaworld, and san diego in general. Well first of all anyone travelling in a southern direction in southern california yesterday knows how horrible the traffic was, took me 5 hours to get from santa monica to san deigo. But two shitty things happened. First a car cut off the car in front of me in heavy traffic, that car rear ended mine, and i rear ended that car really lightly, <5 mph. After looking at mine and her cars, we decided it wasnt worth it because of severe front end damage to her car. All i saw at the time was a slight bumper scratch that looked like it would buff out. Looking at my car this morning, i realized that the grill is cracked as well, the chrome looking frame that goes around the ----A----- is totally cracked and will need a replacement. Second of all, before the accident on saturday, but on the same day, i took a short trip beforehand and the brake light was on. On my way down to san deigo it never went on again, but this morning again it went on, but only once in a series of 3 trips. What could that brake light be signaling, are my brakes low, more fluid, i dont know.. So my questions to you guys are...

1. What would you suggest as a replacement to the acura bumper, hopefully a cheaper alternative..... or could i possibly get this fixed under warrantee.

2. Obviously the brake light is pointing towards some sort of service, what should i be worried about at this point. money is really tight right now so i dont want tot ake it to the dealership and get raped.

Thanks
Bill
Old 07-26-2004, 05:05 PM
holla!

cmon no opinions on what grill to get even??
Old 07-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your problems bill.
The problem with the brake light staying on could be a few things it may be brake pads low this is what the owners manual says.
The other cause & this is what happen to my 2000TL a few times & I also did an advanced search on this board. I found someone else had the same exact problem & the dealer said the same thing to them. My post was a couple of years old so its not here anymore but do an advanced search with the words PARKING BRAKE LIGHT.
But here is what the cause might be the MASTER CYLINDER CAP FLOAT LEVEL INOP. REPLACE MASTER CYLINDER CAP
This is the part #46662-S04-J01 DESCRIPTION/CAP. RESEVE TA
I had this problem 2 times about a year apart from each the first time they did the above step back on 7/12/02. The car went about a year & the same thing happen again & I told them what they did before. This time they replaced some kind of screen in there This was last year sometime. In the advance searh that person dealer told themit was do to it being cold. But as you see when mine first happen it was summer time in July. The next time it happen it was very cold but this was a year later. So check out the pads first then go for the Master Cylinder Cap & some sort of screen in there this is what my dealer did.
They knew it was not my brake pads becase the first time it happen I had just got the 30K service done the week before. The second time they went in a replaced that screen after I told them & they looked on the computer for my previous service for this problem.
The parking brake light would not go out or it would go out after the car was driven a few miles. It also would come on if I would be stoped &I just push the brake pedal real hard just to see what the light would do. The light would sometime come on again. So this might be your cause. The problem was intermitent because the first time I drove over 200 miles & the light did not come back on after stopping setting the parking brake & driving normal again check that cap & screen.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FTM-1
Sorry to hear about your problems bill.
The problem with the brake light staying on could be a few things it may be brake pads low this is what the owners manual says.
The other cause & this is what happen to my 2000TL a few times & I also did an advanced search on this board. I found someone else had the same exact problem & the dealer said the same thing to them. My post was a couple of years old so its not here anymore but do an advanced search with the words PARKING BRAKE LIGHT.
But here is what the cause might be the MASTER CYLINDER CAP FLOAT LEVEL INOP. REPLACE MASTER CYLINDER CAP
This is the part #46662-S04-J01 DESCRIPTION/CAP. RESEVE TA
I had this problem 2 times about a year apart from each the first time they did the above step back on 7/12/02. The car went about a year & the same thing happen again & I told them what they did before. This time they replaced some kind of screen in there This was last year sometime. In the advance searh that person dealer told themit was do to it being cold. But as you see when mine first happen it was summer time in July. The next time it happen it was very cold but this was a year later. So check out the pads first then go for the Master Cylinder Cap & some sort of screen in there this is what my dealer did.
They knew it was not my brake pads becase the first time it happen I had just got the 30K service done the week before. The second time they went in a replaced that screen after I told them & they looked on the computer for my previous service for this problem.
The parking brake light would not go out or it would go out after the car was driven a few miles. It also would come on if I would be stoped &I just push the brake pedal real hard just to see what the light would do. The light would sometime come on again. So this might be your cause. The problem was intermitent because the first time I drove over 200 miles & the light did not come back on after stopping setting the parking brake & driving normal again check that cap & screen.
Man , just check the brake fluid before doing anything else.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He could check his brake fluid all day & night & if the fluid level is fine the cap might be faulty & that is his problem that would make the light come on at times. If it is the Master Cylinder Cap or some sorta screen down in there. I would hope he checks his brake fluid first then find out if his pads might be low like the owners manual says would cause the light to come on. I was giving him the problem that I had with my car that sounds like it might be his. Remember alot of people here do work on there own cars or take to independent shops & do not get service at the dealer. They may change there own brake pads rotors & fluid. If they have not had this problem they would not know its the little plastic cap thats on the Master Cylinder & it may be faulty.