rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotors

is it me or are acura oem rotors the biggest piece of craps out there? they warped so I got them cut , 2 months later warped again. will aftermarket rotors do this also?
Old 03-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Banned

oem rotors sucks. warping depends on envi and driving habit and how much you drive....but 2 months........that totally sucks. Mine really started to show after 42k miles, had them resurfaced, 44k and they are warped again.....2k.........I don't put that much stress on my brakes either.....I'll learn to live with my steering wheel shaking rather then spend that much cash again.....aftermarkets depends on what type and what brand, but I'll bet way better then OEM rotors
Old 03-28-2003, 08:14 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Just so you know. The aftermarket rotors warped just as easy as the stock rotors. Actually a little better than stock, but nothing worth the money.

I have tried 3 different rotors 4 different pads and 2 different calipers and they still warped.

- I had KVR crossdrilled "current" (the best so far, but they also warped)
- I forgot the name, but they were also crossdrilled.
- Stock rotors

- Stock semi-metallic pads
- Acura organics pads
- Axxis semi-metallic pads
- Wagner Organics pads "current"

I had the stock 1-piston calipers and now I have Legend 2-piston calipers.

I also have Steel braided brake lines

With all that and different configurations, the brakes still get warped.

So I come to beleive that unless you fully upgrade the brake system to like brembo 13" with 4 piston calipers or take some weight from the front or redisign the freaking break system.

So don't hope aftermarket parts would help you much, so don't waste your money.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:16 AM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you guys wash your cars and spray the wheels when it is hot?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:22 AM
Banned

You think that would lead to the warping?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:39 AM
Instructor

The whole problem with pads and rotors is the right combination of both. Thing is pretty simple, friction material on brake pads that is too hard for a given rotors will warp them of course. It is relatively easy to make pads with hard friction material and to claim lifetime warranty on them if you do not care about rotors. And that is exactly what happens, you can hear it everywhere, they offer lifetime warranty on pads and shoes but they never ever mention rotors. But it is not that easy to make long lasting pads that are not going to affect rotors and that is the whole trick. Also, machining rotors (making them flat) relatively early (after say 20K or 30K or even 40K miles) is usually not worth, that only means that you have wrong combination of pads and rotors. By machining them, they become thinner, which means they can accept less heat, which means making them even less durable. It does make sense if they have long mileage. In general, the heavier the rotors the more durable they are going to be. And the way you drive can make the life of your rotors/pads shorter or longer but in my opinion it is completely negligible.
In regards to aftermarket brakes I think that Raybestos makes good pads/rotors for decent price, so installing both can make sense but putting aftermarket pads on OEM rotors is not really a smart move. http://www.raybestos.com/
Old 03-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm planning on getting Race Concepts, anyone have problems with them? I'm going to keep the stock pads.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there any reason to order the Brembo's for $50 each from tire rack and pay for shipping, over just going into the autoparts store and walking out with Raybestos rotors?
Old 03-29-2003, 12:30 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm planning on going with Cryogenic slotted rotors on the front when mine get bad. Here's some info on how it works.
http://www.policerotors.com/pub_info.htm

So far, I think it's the best solution short of going with a big brake kit.