Roof panel is leaking water into the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof panel is leaking water into the car

This summer someone had thrown a brick threw my rear windshield, which at the same time managed to dent in the roof panel (right where it meets the windshield). I got it replaced at the body shop AAA recommended, everything seemed fine when I got the car back and there's a lifetime warranty.

Anyway, it hasn't rained in LA since then, but it just started raining yesterday. Driving around in the pouring rain I noticed water was leaking in from the roof and pooling in the place where the A-pillar meets the roof on the inside of the car. This caused the water to start dripping in right onto my arm (and my passenger's arm) and all over the seats. It only seems to be leaking from the little gap between the a-pillar and the ceiling panel, as I could just jam a paper towel in there and have it stop for a min or two (before it became soaked).

When I got back from driving around I looked at the roof and it looks like it isn't completely lined up with the rest of the car, so I'm guessing that's the problem. My question now is do I try and just put some silicone sealant on the crease and hope it fixes the problem, or do I take the car back to the bodyshop and have them fix it? I figure I prolly should take it back to the shop, but it's a pain in the ass since it isn't really that close to where I'm currently living, and I'm hoping they won't cause more problems on the car if they have to take the roof off again and put it back on tighter (plus that would probably take a decent amount of time).

So what does everyone think? I have a feeling I should just take it to the bodyshop, but anyone think the silicone sealant idea would work just as well?

at least the bodyshop has to fix it for free...
Old 10-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
body shop! unless you can see for sure where its leaking
Old 10-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
THis just happened to me last week when I washed my car. I recently got my hail damage fixed. The most likely cause of this is the body shop forgot to hook up the sunroof drain hoses that drain the water out of the sunroof area, down to the street right near each of your four wheels. (one drain per corner) I took my car back to the repair place and they knew right away what happened when I told them where the water was leaking in from. And your spot of water dripping is exactly where I had the problem.

When replacing or repairing the roof, they have to drop your headliner and remove your sunroof. But, they have to disconnect the drain hoses in the process. I'ts easy to forget to re-attach them. Take it back to the shop, tell them you suspect they may have forgot to hook up the hoses. If that is not the problem, the did not install your sunroof seals correctly.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Desi Pride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
body shop! unless you can see for sure where its leaking
Take it to the body shop. When was the last time you washed your car. It should have shown up then too. Have the body shop wash it or show them where it is leaking from this should help them find the leak also. Good luck.