Rock Blocker questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rock Blocker questions

Howdy again,

I can't seem to find all that many previous threads that discuss this subject, so I thought I might as well ask here.

I know many people here have put the Rock Blocker film on their lights, could anyone give feedback on how well it performs over time?

Here's a link to the ones for the lights:

http://rockblocker.com/store/34762.htm

I also noticed that they offer products for paint protection, unfortunately there are no pics on their website:

http://rockblocker.com/store/34827.htm

Has anyone ever tried 'em? I suppose if it was completely invisible after installation and didn't have a high risk of peeling, it might be worth getting this stuff at least for the bumpers.

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-24-2008, 01:48 AM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have rockblocker on my taillights for few years (3 years or so, can't remember exactly) and up until now it still looks very good. Color is little fade but otherwise still look pretty dark and shinny (has been apply wax on everytime I clean my car). Unfortunately, I have to remove the tint because of recent tinted front driver/passenger and tinted taillights ticket. Love it!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Racer

Ahh, that sucks. That's another thing I was wondering. If you did have to eventually remove the rock blocker products, what does it do to the material it's covering? I'm more curious about what it'd do to a cars paint if you had to remove it for whatever reason.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:35 AM
2G wanting 3G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was at napelton acura(chicago burbs) a few years ago and they had a black 06 TL with rock blocker on the hood. it looked ok. you couldnt tell from far away. but once i got up close i saw that there was wax residue around the edges. i'm sure from a porter not caring about what he's doing. but the really bad part was that one of the edges was coming up. no doubt from people in the showroom picking at it. made me wonder how your suppossed to get the rockblocker to stick back to the car if this happens.

not perfect. but it beats a car bra hands down.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 AM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Originally Posted by vivftp
Ahh, that sucks. That's another thing I was wondering. If you did have to eventually remove the rock blocker products, what does it do to the material it's covering? I'm more curious about what it'd do to a cars paint if you had to remove it for whatever reason.
Since I had it for taillights, it does absolute nothing to the plastic lens. In fact, it seems that it protect the color of the lens! I amaze to see how bright the red color of the taillight is. Not sure if the rockblocker tinted has UV protection property or not.

As for the tinted film applied on paint, it shouldn't cause any harm to the paint, but since I don't have it on the paint so I don't know for sure. IMO, it's no different when you apply rockblocker tinted film/paint protector or you apply 3M protecting film, or you apply sticker on the car. There will be glue residue sticks to the surface when remove the protecting film, but it can easy get out by using glue gone product.

Originally Posted by 9932
i was at napelton acura(chicago burbs) a few years ago and they had a black 06 TL with rock blocker on the hood. it looked ok. you couldnt tell from far away. but once i got up close i saw that there was wax residue around the edges. i'm sure from a porter not caring about what he's doing. but the really bad part was that one of the edges was coming up. no doubt from people in the showroom picking at it. made me wonder how your suppossed to get the rockblocker to stick back to the car if this happens.

not perfect. but it beats a car bra hands down.
From my experiences, once the rockblocker film applied correctly, it is very hard to remove them! I have them on my taillights and I wax them using buffer machine (porter cable) and they are holding fine for the last several years. When I removed them last week, there is lots of glue residue stuck on the taillights, so for the tint film to peel out it has to take lots of abuse. As for wax residue, if you clean the wax residue right away, there should be any left at the edge. I use Meguiar's products so I just spray little bit of UQD and wipe the wax residue off the edge.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Racer

Hmm, interesting info... thanks!

I just wonder if it'd be a good thing to get this at least for the bumpers and possible the doors, just to help those tiny dings/scratches that annoy us all so much.

I guess the main question I have is how prone is hte rock blocker product to scratching? If it's relatively easily scratched, I suppose that'd suck if you were to put it over your paint.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
after a few broken fogs i bought new ones and rockblocker so far all good worth it
Old 10-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Racer

From checking other threads, it looks like people prefer to either go with rock blockers or a similar item from 3M. Anyone know of pros and cons of either in comparison to one another?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Instructor

I put the yellow rock blocker on my CL and I love them.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Originally Posted by vivftp
From checking other threads, it looks like people prefer to either go with rock blockers or a similar item from 3M. Anyone know of pros and cons of either in comparison to one another?
Just get the rockblocker!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LacViet
Just get the rockblocker!
Heh, I'm shopping around for my next car which won't be around until mid-2009

I plan to do a lot to it, so I'm spending the next several months just learning and preparing about what's out there to do to these vehicles

Rockblocker certainly looks like a great product, but for the price for the parts that go over your actual body, I'd want to learn a bit more first.

I'll definately get the rockblocker for my headlights, and I already have lexan lenses sitting here, waiting to replace the fog light lenses on the next car.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

IMO, I don't like clear bra or any type of protective film on the hood of the car. Sure, it will protect the front end of a car, but you havve to look at the ugly line all the time and with the film, it will never look as shinny as fresh clean/detail paint. Plus, when you decide to remove that procting film, your car will have two tone color and the front is nice and shine, where the rest of the car is dull, swirls, and scratches. So, no need for front protecting film for me.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LacViet
IMO, I don't like clear bra or any type of protective film on the hood of the car. Sure, it will protect the front end of a car, but you havve to look at the ugly line all the time and with the film, it will never look as shinny as fresh clean/detail paint. Plus, when you decide to remove that procting film, your car will have two tone color and the front is nice and shine, where the rest of the car is dull, swirls, and scratches. So, no need for front protecting film for me.
Hmm... good advice...

Mainly I'm thinking about this product for the bumpers and doors. Those are the main parts of the car that really need this sort of protection from random crap IMO. When I bought my car it already had a couple of very tiny dings on one of the doors, and since I got it I've had idiots in other cars swing open their doors only to slam into mine, causing some very minor scratches... not to mention other little hazards like shopping carts and whatnot.

I suppose there isn't a pre-cut product made for lip kits, which would suck but what can ya do I suppose...
Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 PM
spaz

well you can always cut it yourself
it just takes an exacto knife and some patience.

btw my yellow rockblocker for the fogs just came in today. will probably be putting it on tomorrow.

thats not a bad idea about getting some for the front lip of the oem lip kit though.