removing road paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post removing road paint

I guess I ran over wet yellow road paint, and it is all over the wheel wells and side of the car. It's unreal that the road crews didn't put up any cones or signs warning of wet paint. Anyways, do you guys have any recommendations of how to get the paint off, besides using your fingernail and scratching it off? I have no idea how I'm going to get it off the wheel wells and tires.
Old 06-14-2001, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Smelly:
I guess I ran over wet yellow road paint, and it is all over the wheel wells and side of the car. It's unreal that the road crews didn't put up any cones or signs warning of wet paint. Anyways, do you guys have any recommendations of how to get the paint off, besides using your fingernail and scratching it off? I have no idea how I'm going to get it off the wheel wells and tires.
I have no idea, but you have my sympathy. I hate seeing paint splotches on the road. Usually they are dry by the time I get there, but somebody probably hit them...

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type-S Dark Emerald Pearl
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE V6
1994 Ford Explorer 4x4
Old 06-14-2001, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Well I hope I don't get slamed but a friend of mine used some paint tinner and some water and mixed them up and took the paint off. He did not messup the car or the paint on the car. I am sure there are other ways.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by hetwo:
Well I hope I don't get slamed but a friend of mine used some paint tinner and some water and mixed them up and took the paint off. He did not messup the car or the paint on the car. I am sure there are other ways.
Yikes! That sounds dangerous, but I suppose it's OK as long as the clearcoat is intact. If there's a hole in the clearcoat, there may be a chance that the car's paint will get dissolved as well.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:25 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Go to a reputable car detailer and have them fix the problem. Then send the State of VA the bill. They will pay. I live in PA and you know that they have some of if not the worst roads in the USA. I had a rock fly into my car from the cracking roads and to make a long story short I got a check from PENDOT for $128.00. It takes a lot of effort but if you persist they will pay you off to shut you up. Good luck and keep off the yellow lines.!!