Removing front passenger knee panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing front passenger knee panel

So, I'm trying to remove the passenger knee panel on my 03 TL-S to install my USA Spec controller. I've removed the wood trim, as well as the 3 screws that attach the plastic panel to the centre console. Problem is, it isn't coming off. It appears that it's attached to something up near the glove compartment. When looking at pics of other guys who have panel removed, it looks like they remove the cover for the main trunk switch selector that sits right next to the glove box.

Really appreciate any help, as I'm frustrated as hell!! Thanks.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:42 PM
B A N N E D

hmm did u pull the center console back and remove all the necessary screws? there are plenty screws. if so, then panel should come off with a little force. they are clipped on so just give a little tug. hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vzuptnguyen
hmm did u pull the center console back and remove all the necessary screws? there are plenty screws. if so, then panel should come off with a little force. they are clipped on so just give a little tug. hope this helps.
By centre console, do you mean the armrest compartment? I didn't know that had to come out just to get the knee panel out.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Advanced

Look at this DIY it has everything you need. its for the cl but it's exactly the same for our TL's.

http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf
Old 04-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by brandonnguyen
Look at this DIY it has everything you need. its for the cl but it's exactly the same for our TL's.

http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf
Specifically pages 7 and 8. This is the exact DIY I used (but I didn't remove the headunit so I didn't do most of those steps)
Old 04-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Yep, that's the same DIY I was using today...but I skipped removing the driver's side wood trim. I didn't remove the armrest compartment or the cupholder tray either , as I thought that was only necessary if you wanted to remove the shifter cover to eventually get the head unit out.

AMGala - not sure which steps you skipped, but did you do the same thing? (i.e. did you leave the armrest compartment and cupholder tray in too)

I'll try it again another time, and will remove the armrest compartment and cupholder tray too then. Still though...it feels like the knee panel is attached to something up near the glovebox. I was able to pry the panel away from basically all parts of the centre console...but it was really firmly attached up near the glovebox. From the looks of some of the DIY and other posted pics, the cover for the main trunk release switch comes off with the knee panel as well? Does this sound right?

Appreciate the help, guys.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:04 PM

Correct, I did not remove any of the armrest compartment or cupholder tray pieces. I don't think the cover for the main trunk release switch is at all attached to the knee panel. If I remember correctly, I just needed to pull hard at the correct angle and it eventually came out.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMGala
Correct, I did not remove any of the armrest compartment or cupholder tray pieces. I don't think the cover for the main trunk release switch is at all attached to the knee panel. If I remember correctly, I just needed to pull hard at the correct angle and it eventually came out.
Hmm...so I just need to give it a little more grunt, huh? I did try pulling on it, but I guess I'll have to give it another shot. I'm assuming the angle is kind of out and up?

Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
10th Gear

I just did a similar install yesterday - I installed a Blitzsafe adapter. Definitely use the DIY referenced above, but the short answer is that you do need to remove the armrest/cup holder/storage compartment in order to slide the knee panel out of the way. With regard to the area up near the glove box, I had my glove box out anyway since I changed the cabin air filters at the same time. This made it much easier to see how the clips attach in that area. Bottom line, you sort of need to rotate the knee panel a bit in order to get it to pop out. Make sure you get the metal clip released near the gear shift before you try to rotate the knee panel, though. Release the knee panel from the end near the cup holders first (after removing the arm rest). Then release the metal clip near the gearshift. After that,slowly rotate the free end up (which will cause the end near the glove box to come down).
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bubabobob876
I just did a similar install yesterday - I installed a Blitzsafe adapter. Definitely use the DIY referenced above, but the short answer is that you do need to remove the armrest/cup holder/storage compartment in order to slide the knee panel out of the way. With regard to the area up near the glove box, I had my glove box out anyway since I changed the cabin air filters at the same time. This made it much easier to see how the clips attach in that area. Bottom line, you sort of need to rotate the knee panel a bit in order to get it to pop out. Make sure you get the metal clip released near the gear shift before you try to rotate the knee panel, though. Release the knee panel from the end near the cup holders first (after removing the arm rest). Then release the metal clip near the gearshift. After that,slowly rotate the free end up (which will cause the end near the glove box to come down).

Some great info, thanks bubabob. So, it's really just clips holding it at the glovebox side then...good to know. I've actually got cabin air filters coming (from eBay), so I'll wait for those to get here and do both in one job.

Thanks for all the help, guys. Great crowd on these forums...very helpful and no flaming!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bubabobob876
Definitely use the DIY referenced above, but the short answer is that you do need to remove the armrest/cup holder/storage compartment in order to slide the knee panel out of the way.
It may make it easier this way, but it's definitely not necessary. I did it without removing any of the armrest/cupholder/storage compartment parts.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
It may make it easier this way, but it's definitely not necessary. I did it without removing any of the armrest/cupholder/storage compartment parts.
Its just a matter of a few screws and it makes it alot easier. You dont have to bend and yank on it at all by removing the screws and just sliding it back a inch or so
Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Honestly I think it was worth it to move the head unit out a couple of inches to install the adapter. I tried for 45 minutes trying to plug in the adapter via the 'chopsticks finger' method and that got me no where. I even scrapped off some skin trying to install that thing! More power to those who didn't need to pull the head unit out. My fingers/hands are small too, I'm asian! (the stereotypes aren't true!) It was worth the extra ten minutes to remove the driver side panel and pull out the head unit. just my two cents.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 PM
10th Gear

Well I spent a good 20 minutes or so using the "chopstick" fingers method as well. I was almost ready to give up, but somehow everything just happened to fall in place.

And I do have the battle scars on my hand like you!

For what it's worth, a few tricks I used:

1 - There's a horizontal slot in the metal bracket behind the knee panel. It's almost aligned perfectly with the location of the 14-pin connector. Use a piece of plastic or your taped-up screwdriver in the slot and you now have another way to help stabilize the connector as you get it aligned.

2 - GENTLY "bend" or "curl" the wire close to the connector before you install it so that when you slide the wire in behind the head unit, the connector will be physically aligned facing the connector port.

3 - Use two steps. Get the GENTLY "curled" wire behind the head unit first. THEN put your fingers behind the head unit and grab the connector. If you properly curled the cable beforehand, the connector should be pretty closely lined up. If so, use two fingers and squeeze the connector between your two fingers (index and middle). Then it's just a matter of the last half inch or so of horizontal alignment to get it properly aligned with the port. Once you get it aligned, PUSH!!!!!!! And you're all set!

Hope this helps...at least a bit....
Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Its just a matter of a few screws and it makes it alot easier. You dont have to bend and yank on it at all by removing the screws and just sliding it back a inch or so
I see. GQStyle, have you moved the seat all the way back?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Instructor

I see. GQStyle, have you moved the seat all the way back?

Yep, I moved the seat all the way back. But the knee panel wasn't getting caught on the seat. What did make it hard to get out was the fact that it was kind of slotted in behind the armrest compartment piece. That's why I could see it being a little easier to remove the compartment first and then pull/slide the knee panel back. Again, the biggest problem seemed to be that it was pretty solidly attached up near the glovebox. I didn't want to tug on it too hard, as I was worried about breaking a clip or even snapping a screw/plastic bracket. But, it seems like you guys are saying, you pull on it enough and in kind of a downward swivel motion, and it'll pop out right?

I'll take all your tips and when I tackle it next time, I'll snap some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.