Remote Starter ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:42 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Starter ?

I had a DEI Valet 561r remote start system installed at Tweeter last week. Currently if I don't unlock the car first, the alarm will sound when it is remote started. My understanding is that I should be able to remote start whether it is locked or unlocked and if unlocked, it will automatically lock the doors. They had me bring in a spare key in order to hook up the ignition bypass as well - did they not hook this up properly?
The door locks, trunk pop, and relay to the rear defrost all seem to work ok, although the rear defrost light on the dash doesn't light up.

Also the ABS and TCS lights stay on if the car is remote started.

Just want to check here to get my facts straight before I go back up there in case they try to say "that's just how it works". Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:50 AM
i

wait so...if ur car is locked, and u remote start from outside, alarm goes off?

thats normal for our cars. if ur in ur car and remote lock it then start the engine the alarm will go off so u have to unlock car no matter wut to start engine.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:53 AM
10th Gear

Correct, I have to unlock the doors via the keychain and then press the remote start button. Otherwise the alarm sounds. Problem is, the lock/unlock is a toggle button so I don't know for sure that I unlocked the doors. Can't have my alarm blaring at 6AM when I crank the car.
What is the purpose of the ignition bypass?
And shouldn't the remote starter lock the car back so no one can get in it while it is warming up?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Do your doors lock after you remote start it?

Seems stupid, why would you want your car unlocked if you're not in it?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:35 PM
10th Gear

no, they stay unlocked.....the engine shuts off if you hit the brake pedal so the car can't be driven off, but everything inside (like my V1) is at risk.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Like NSXNEXT said, that is stupid. It you remote start your car even when the doors are locked. Once the car is started you can not use the Factor OEM KeyFOB to unlock the doors as some people has experienced but with the Viper remote you can unlock and lock the car when the car has been remote started.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Drifting

"Also the ABS and TCS lights stay on if the car is remote started" That is weird, I dont have that on mine. I have the remote start too from DEI.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

i have the clifford version. i also have the same problem. if the car is locked and i remote start, the alarm blares. one time i unlocked, remote started, and then locked and it was fine but the next time i did it the alarm went off. its real stupidd
Old 01-20-2005, 03:34 PM
6th Gear

your stock alarm and remote start are contradicting with eachother
you should be able to leave the car unlocked with the stock remote and then lock it with the other remote and autostart it without any problems
Old 01-20-2005, 03:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by meekus
your stock alarm and remote start are contradicting with eachother
you should be able to leave the car unlocked with the stock remote and then lock it with the other remote and autostart it without any problems
so would a possible solution be to zap it once w/ the factory keyfob to synch them back up?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:34 PM
10th Gear

that seems to have fixed it. I must have locked/unlocked it w/ the factory keychain at some point and gotten it out of sync. Fixed the ABS/TCS lights problem as well.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i bought the prestige platinum 996 and i hav no problems......
Old 01-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Drifting

If you use your OEM keyfob to lock and then unlock it with the Viper/Clifford remote I think that sets off the alarm or vice versa.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Mdusk - Take your car back to Tweeter and have them do the factory alarm disarm. The 561R has the ability to disarm the factory alarm when you remote start. This will solve your problems.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:33 AM
GO TIME

The installer did not bypass your factory alarm and that is why you have to unlock your car before starting it. It's not a big deal just bring it back to the dealer and have him fix it for you. After he is finished you will be able to start your car even though it is locked.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:32 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
i bought the prestige platinum 996 and i hav no problems......
same here
Old 01-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
That's a whole bunch of "Shots in the dark". It sounds like the installer had never worked on a newer Acura. The factory security CANNOT BE BYPASSED!! The 561r has several features that will help the installer to fabricate a system of relays and diodes that will "play along" with the factory security. Using 2 remotes is stupid. On the 561r you can have all of the remote start functions off the Acura remote. I would have a hard time taking my car back to the place that didn't do it right the first time.

Advice number 2. Do not ever buy, install, or be friends with the Prestige 996 alarms. We have sent most of our stock back to Audiovox becuase of MAJOR problems. The Prestige/ Audiovox alarms have caused our shop alot of wasted time. If you own a $20,000 plus luxury car... Why would you CHOOSE the cheapest alarm on the shelf?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Racer

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. i took my car to tweeter four times before they could fix it. now i can remote start it without unlocking it and the alarm doesn't go off. They told me it was because i had a defective remote starter. my abs and tc light come on though sometimes, but when i took it back to tweeter for the problem they couldn't figure it out. IMO: i'm never going to tweeter again.fuckem

Right now i remote start my car and when i get in my car i hit the brake pedal and then restart the car. it pisses me off, but i don't know what else to do.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

s5nake5...... It looks like they didn't explain the shutdown features to you either. Your remote start is supposed to shutdown when you hit the brake. Also when you open the hood. It's called a negative shutdown. It keeps someone from stealing your car if they don't have a key. To prevent this put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON (not start). Then hit the brake, put in gear and drive like the dickens!

Give me a shout if you have anymore questions man.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by uncald4
s5nake5...... It looks like they didn't explain the shutdown features to you either. Your remote start is supposed to shutdown when you hit the brake. Also when you open the hood. It's called a negative shutdown. It keeps someone from stealing your car if they don't have a key. To prevent this put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON (not start). Then hit the brake, put in gear and drive like the dickens!

Give me a shout if you have anymore questions man.
i hit the brakes so the car shuts down and then restart it, because i don't want to drive the car with the TC and ABS light on.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

I got a remote starter and alarm combo installed back in Nov, the factory alarm is still there, when i remote start, it automatically unlock the car doors, starts and automatically lock the doors. This all happen in a matter of seconds.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Im getting Viper 791xv and getting DEI 555h ..I believe that bypass..will I have this problems like this to or theres a way to avoid it.Thankz
Old 01-21-2005, 04:44 PM
10th Gear

Angry

went back to Tweeter today.
First the guy tried to act suprised that this was happening.
Then he went in the back to pull up the wiring diagram and came back out to tell me that on this model of car you have to unlock the doors first. There is no way around it.
I then pulled out a print out of this post which outlines exactly what to hookup (DISARM, NO UNLOCK in the drivers door cylinder). He said he didn't realize that this car had a factory alarm (even though they charged me extra to put the ignition bypass in). So they are going to run this last wire next Sat.

I work in the software business and have seen developers try the same crap (Ya mean its broken? Hmmm, well, that is how its supposed to work, absolutely no other way. Oh, I see, I guess it can be done.)

I guess my next step is to call American Express and tell them not to pay Tweeter until I call back saying everything is working ok. Sigh........
Old 01-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Originally Posted by mdusk
went back to Tweeter today.
First the guy tried to act suprised that this was happening.
Then he went in the back to pull up the wiring diagram and came back out to tell me that on this model of car you have to unlock the doors first. There is no way around it.
I then pulled out a print out of this post which outlines exactly what to hookup (DISARM, NO UNLOCK in the drivers door cylinder). He said he didn't realize that this car had a factory alarm (even though they charged me extra to put the ignition bypass in). So they are going to run this last wire next Sat.

I work in the software business and have seen developers try the same crap (Ya mean its broken? Hmmm, well, that is how its supposed to work, absolutely no other way. Oh, I see, I guess it can be done.)

I guess my next step is to call American Express and tell them not to pay Tweeter until I call back saying everything is working ok. Sigh........
Go to Freemans Car Stereo, they will do it right.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

i tried what meekus said. use the stock keyfob to unlock the car and then use the viper keyfob to lock the car. now all is good. you dont have to use two remotes. i lock/unlock with the viper remote. i can remote start even when the car is locked. the alarm doesnt go off anymore.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Way to go fellas. Get that shit done right. Don't use the word BYPASS though. An Acura alarm or immobilizer cannot be bypassed. Only integrated. Same with Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Nissan and Infinty. INTEGRATED.

Good job guys. Don't settle for that pooh.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:12 AM
Banned

okay let me say this:
there is two sets of lock and unlock wires
one is from the switch
the other one is from the key cylinder goes to the factory unit (it arms and disarm when you turn the key from outside)
he hook up the set that from the key cylinder (because you said the factory alarm sound when remote stated)
he needs to hook the "factory disarm wire" to the unlock wire he hook up earlier and "factory arm wire" to the lock wire, after that is done when you remote start it will:
first unlock the door, start the car and finally lock the doors.

if the unit doesn't have the factory arm and disarm output
tell him hook up the lock/unlock wire from the door switch instead, this way when you press lock, it will not arm the factory alarm, but of course the 561r is not a alarm system so basically you will lose all the factory alarm protection...but i am pretty sure the 561r got the outputs though.