REMOTE START -which is the best

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REMOTE START -which is the best

hey i wanna get a remote start since i am in school at central ny!! and its freezing.

first.. which is the best company or brand???

second, there are a few shops, how can i know they are good or not , i heard some problems with people and their navi when i did a search. , i do have a navi also.

and any1 know any shops in NYC area and UTICA area.
i am leaving nyc in the 19th.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Racer

I've hear dvery good thinga botu Clifford and Alladin.....but it VERY IMPORTANT to ahve a good shop install it. Make sure they have done that piece of equipment on a TL before. Don't be their gineau pig. I've heard horror stories about botched installs of these products.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Banned

yeah thanks, this is why i am trying to see if any1 knows a dealer in CENTRAL NY. or WESTCHESTER area. ahhh...
and oh yeah.. i dont know anything about this stuff. so can u suggust a model brand also if u know.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Racer

I think Copland has a Clifford product...you might want to ask him about it.

Here is the Aladdin I was talking about. It's pretty amazing, but a ***** to install frm what I'm told.

aladdin
Old 01-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Having Fun?

Not I, I'm stock in my 03 for now. I have my eye on the viper 790xv, recommended by StreetEffectz
Old 01-04-2003, 11:22 AM
Banned

ahh they both look so hot
Old 01-04-2003, 11:41 AM
Racer

Not I, I'm stock in my 03 for now. I have my eye on the viper 790xv, recommended by StreetEffectz
ooops...got you confused with another MA officer.

I know a few people with Aladdin's...they definitey kick but. Audi guys's use them as starter, security, remote monitoring adn turbo timers. It's pretty cool that you can know the staus of your car at all times. You'll know exactly when someone is messing with your car.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you're looking for suggestions you may want to check out the CompuStar alarms (www.compustar.org). I've had mine (2000AS) for over a year now and it's worked perfectly. It comes with a LCD pager unit so you can visually monitor your car's features.

Good luck with your search!

V.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Banned

edited.... frineds car just got stolen................ i need the remote start with alarm.. blah
Old 01-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

compustar by far the best investment i ever made use the remote start 90 percent of the time...its like second nature
Old 01-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Instructor

i have an autopage... it works great
Old 01-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Compustar and Clifford are the cream of the crop when it comes to car alarms, and they are available with remote start options. Liek everyone said though, no matter what alarm you get, its only as good as the install, so for the most part, you arent going to want to shop at circuit city or PC. Richards no matter what system you choose.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:45 AM
Banned

I've got a Clifford Concept 100 with remote start and I absolutely love it. I've got an older Clifford Supernova II with remote start on my '97 Maxima that I put on when the car was new and I've never had a single false alarm or failure in 5 years. Same holds true for my current alarm.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

only bad thing about clifford is no 2 way communication...
Old 01-06-2003, 06:17 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Nick79
yeah thanks, this is why i am trying to see if any1 knows a dealer in CENTRAL NY. or WESTCHESTER area. ahhh...
and oh yeah.. i dont know anything about this stuff. so can u suggust a model brand also if u know.
Check Installations Unlimited in Syracuse, NY (about 50 miles west of Utica).
Old 01-06-2003, 08:31 AM
Advanced

I would definately have to argue that Compustar is the "cream of the crop" Feature wise they offer alot but IMHO fit and finish on the unit itself leaves a little to be desired...both the shock sensor and remote look/feel like something you'd get at the checkout of a grocery as a cheap toy. I'd look for the Clifford AG4 if you want the absolutely best.....if not then any of the DEI units are the way to go i.e. Viper, Python, etc....good luck.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Got the python in my truck works great
Old 01-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Banned

haha thanks for all the wonderful opinions!!!!... my friends car just got stolen in yonkers also!.

you guys been very helpful. i might get the clifford , i gotta check prices. i found a installation guy, he works for acura of westchester but has a shop in yonkers of his own. i asked him about the navigation problem, he said the shop probably didnt know what they were doing.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Banned

i just saw the G4 and my mouth dropped. damnn thats a security system!!!!

but need some help , the description confuses me as i dont understand what some of the options mean, haha.

including BlackJax,
Wireless Immobilizer,
Dual Point AutoImmobilization,
Self-Powered SmartSiren 4 Digital Tilt/Motion Sensor,
NightVision and more.

what do they mean by night vision? and blackjax
Old 01-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Since I have had my CLIFFORD IG8000 system for 3yrs now in my 2000TL I think I can tell you about some of the features.
The NIGHT VISION just turns ON the lights when it gets dark.
Its a light sensor that turn the lights ON in darkness & OFF when Light this feature I do not have nightvision with my system.
The BlacJax is an anticarjacking/ self recovery sub system that is built-in to my Clifford IG8000 system as it is with some other Clifford models.
This system can be turned OFF & back ON at anytime you wan't like for taking the car in for service or someone else driving the car that you might not wan't to give your personal code to ect.
The system works like this you disarm your alarm & get in your car & start the engine. Then you enter your personal code on the plain view valet switch in the car. This turns OFF the anticarjacking features & the system gives you control of the car.
If you would get out of the car with the engine ON or any of the doors to the car are open again like someone getting in you would need to enter your personal code again to drive the car. If you do not enter the could after say 10-15 seconds after driving OFF the system will warn you with chirps & flashing light. If you still do not enter the code the system will then shut down the engine & go into a full alarm mode with flashing lights & siren.
The car can not be re started with out that code even if a carjacker has the keys to the car. The system will only shut down if the car is at a safe speed like braking or a slow turn. So for example a carjacker walks up to with a gun & says give me the keys to your car. They have the key fob to turn OFF the alarm & the key to start your car. But they do not have your personal code to the BlacJax anticarjacking. The car would cut OFF after they are about a block away from you. This gives you time to get away or do what ever you are going to do like catch up with them & beat his butt. The brake lights will blink to warn other drivers that your car is stopping or slowing down & as stated above the car will shut OFF & full ALARM will go OFF. I don't think any carjacker would stay around for that. The code can be changed by you & the system is very easy to use it takes about 3 seconds to enter your code & you can do this even after driving OFF as long as you do it before the car shuts down on you & like I said it give s you warning chirps before it starts its count down. It also works in other ways to foil carjackers like if they walk up to your car & you are stoped at a red light & they say get out of your car. The system sets itself once any door is open & you don't need to do anything to set the system. It sounds complicated to use but it only takes a few seconds. It takes about the same time to turn it OFF as it does to start your cars engine. This personal code you enter is also the same code for the ALARM systems valet code. I have used the system for 3yrs now & love it. This is the main reason I got my Clifford alarm this was built- in to the system I got.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Banned

how do i enter the code? thank you for your long reply.
isnt it a hassle to keep messing with the code everytime u goto the car
Old 01-09-2003, 02:04 AM
FTM
Instructor

Its no problem at all & depends on the personal code you enter.
It only takes a few seconds to enter it & you only need to do it when you 1st start to drive off in the car or someone else gets in or out the car & you are going to drive off agian. The plain view switch is located where you can see it. This has your alarms LED & 2 small soft touch push buttons. One button has a little star symbol on it like this* & the other button is just blank. So if for example your personal code was say 24 you would push the * star symbol button 2 times then hit the blank button one time & then push the * symbol button again 4 times. The RED ALARM LED LIGHT would then light up & go out to confirm the code is entered. This is also your alarms valet code if you need to turn off the alarm system for example dealer service. Then you can use the factory alarm then.
Also remeber you can enter this code when driving off but you need to do it like 20 seconds after you start to drive off. The system only gives you 3 chances to enter the correct code then it will suspect the car is bieng carjacked & some one is trying to guess your code. It will then do its thing & give warning with brake lights alarm chirps & RED LED Flashes. It then will kill the engine & full alarm will sound & will not go OFF untill it runs thru a few alarm cycles. The car can be restarted again after this & you would enter the correct code. Thsi is why they call it a anticarjacking self recovery system. The car is not going to go very far unless someone tows it away. Its very simple & very easy to use this. It takes you more time to put on your seat belt or even start the car & put it in gear than it does to enter your code.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, when I was researching alarm systems a year ago I definitely liked that feature. I just couldn't find an LCD pager that went with it. If it came with a two-way pager display "fob" then I'd have bought that baby in a minute. Oh well, I'll just have to shoot any mo-fo's that try to 'jack me!

V.