Redesigned tranny failure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 01:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redesigned tranny failure?

Anyone with a new "redesigned" tranny or whatever that is being claimed by Honda/Acura failed on them? If so, please tell us how many mile this "redesigned" tranny lasted you.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:02 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
There were multiple mods made to the tranny. A fully redesigned tranny with all of the mods didn't come until Feb of 2003 production models. The tranny with all of the mods has a low likelihood of failing, but still has the flaw so if you know how to exploit it and WANT the tranny to fail, you can probably make it fail.

There were mods made to the tranny to prevent the crazy shifting from 5th to 2nd gear at 70mph when the 3rd gear clutch pack finally disintegrated.

Those of us after March or April with bad trannies should have gotten re-designed trannies, but before that they may have gotten one with a mix of mods on it.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well thanks for the info...but like I was asking...if the re-designed tranny hold. Now is July 2003 so obvious SOMEONE should have one....Any failures...?
Old 07-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

so far it looks good. i read up on the nhtsa 200 page report. skimming through took a couple hours but i found some very interesting notes. they claimed that the older versions under a given situation could rise over operating temp.
the new trans however, was capable of keeping a safe gap from the max. temp. allowed under the same given situation. also, they noted that the friction surface of the clutch pack was not of the specs acura had originally given. however, i doubt this is the main cause of the failure.
there are a few other things that were addressed, but not much more. overall, i think they should of used higher performing internal parts to ensure the tranny could take it. no matter how well designed the transmission is (ours is very well designed IMO), there is no substitution for stronger and higher quality parts.
i have beat on mine for the past few months and it has taken it well. the only one thing that caught my attention so far is this one time i was shifting 2-3 in SS and the shift took longer than usual with a somewhat harsh shift. nothing special though, just not smooth like most shifts. my guess is the light throttle input as well as decreased power before the shift made this happen.

forgot to mention: i talked to the guy who started the tranny failure list thing and so far there is NO ONE with a tranny built after Feb. '03 with a failed unit. however, i do expect a very insignificant number to give out because i am pretty sure these units are remanufactured, and that is never as good as the original new units. also, every car company has a certain percentage of failures.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by power3dfx
these units are remanufactured, and that is never as good as the original new units.
Not true. For all intents and purposes, remanufactured units are as good as a new model. Any part that is subject to wear is new. Other items that have no bearing on the performance are what is kept.

This is usually the case with any remanufactured part (i.e. starters, alternators, etc.).

I used to work in an auto repair shop and there was never an issue with installing remanufactured parts.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I had my replaced about 40,000 Kms ago and it is still running strong.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

Originally posted by GoHawks63
Not true. For all intents and purposes, remanufactured units are as good as a new model. Any part that is subject to wear is new. Other items that have no bearing on the performance are what is kept.

This is usually the case with any remanufactured part (i.e. starters, alternators, etc.).

I used to work in an auto repair shop and there was never an issue with installing remanufactured parts.
sounds good and all, but what if they overlook or think one part in not worn enough? i dont have much experience to back up. do you know how the procedure takes place.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by power3dfx
sounds good and all, but what if they overlook or think one part in not worn enough? i dont have much experience to back up. do you know how the procedure takes place.
No I don't know the specifics, but I do know that a Remanufactured unit must meet the specs of a BRAND NEW tranny.