Rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 04:27 AM
/etc/car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear ended

I'm sitting at a stop light yesterday...and I hear skidding. Not the dry rubber on pavement...the sliding kind of skid because the ground was wet. I was looking around to see if someone was gunning it at the light.

Looked in the rear view really quickly and saw a truck barrelling down on me. Took my foot off the brake, he slammed into me, and then I hit the brake again really quick before I hit the car infront of me.

It seemed to be a pretty good, hard, solid collision square into the back.

Pulled over, got out, and looked. Not a freaking scratch

He really did a hard smack, too...my head hit the head rest pretty hard.

Upon closer inspection, there's a tiny dent in the license plate underneath that black border thing the dealer puts on. Other than that, nothing. It was even a big, chrome bumper on that truck.

Not sure if me letting go of the brake before impact helped, if it was Acura's design, or The Force was with me...but that was pretty weird.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Rear ended

Originally posted by SwampGas
I'm sitting at a stop light yesterday...and I hear skidding. Not the dry rubber on pavement...the sliding kind of skid because the ground was wet. I was looking around to see if someone was gunning it at the light.

Looked in the rear view really quickly and saw a truck barrelling down on me. Took my foot off the brake, he slammed into me, and then I hit the brake again really quick before I hit the car infront of me.

Upon closer inspection, there's a tiny dent in the license plate underneath that black border thing the dealer puts on. Other than that, nothing. It was even a big, chrome bumper on that truck.

Not sure if me letting go of the brake before impact helped, if it was Acura's design, or The Force was with me...but that was pretty weird.
you are not telling me you aren't going to insurance right? boy the rear bumper is a plastic, it can got pushed in totally and come back up just fine. it happened to me once so i know it very very well.

with what you wrote, i am pretty sure the internal damage is bad..... at least the internal hard bumper must be bent. it will cost quite a bit to get fixed. i got a similar accident and the final cost was 1400 bucks (of course i didn't pay)

never underestimate an accident. the bumper itself is nothing
Old 04-15-2002, 06:11 AM
Instructor

Switches could have been jarred just enough to be non-functional, new squeaks, etc. CHECK EVERYTHING, I would ('ve) report it to my insurance in case something down the road happens, they say you have up to 5 years to make a claim. Just file an incident report.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, I was hit by a drunk driver about 6 years ago, same situation, guy skidding, I let off the brake to accelerate (the car that I had to stop for that was pulling over was nearly off the road completely), then POW, the guy hit me. CHP said he was traveling about 30 when he hit me. Anyhow because I didn't have my foot on the break the damage to the vehicle was a lot less, but the negative was a higher damage to me and my passanger. I never knew this, but the whiplash injury is worse if you let off the break. Anyhow, I still have problems to this day from that accident and I had to spend a year in PT so my neck and back wouldn't ache all day.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Same thing happened to me recently, this guy slammed into me around 5 to 10 mph and i got out the car and nothing was wrong, not even a scratch. I still took it too Acura and they looked it over and said that everything was cool. Luck you and I
Old 04-15-2002, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I got hit the weekend before last looking at homes.... The person that hit me kinda clipped me on the drivers side of the bumper, anyhow after the dealership buffed the HUGE black mark out there is no mark, however there is a crease in the bumper that's for the most part hard to tell (you gotta get within a few feet and have the right light). Anyhow the dealership is advising that I not repaint and repaint at the end of the lease if it won't pass the lease return inspection. I gotta give AAA a call (the insurance company of the party at fault) and see how they sit with it. Other than that it held up pretty good considering how fast they clipped me.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:40 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man.. if you check it out and internally there's no damage, I'd definitely have to say The Force was with you.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:50 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

It happened to me the other day. It was heavy triffic, stop & go. I was talking on the cell phone, and lady behind me rear ended me. It was pretty heavy impact that the cell phone popped(?) out of from my hand. Anyways, got out of my car, looked at the damage, nothing was there. Later, I took the bumper cover out and found that the ABSORBER got damage and the paint was cracked. We turned it to the insurance company because her Van had more damage on the front. The insurance company paid me to repaint the cover & replace right absorber & exhaust tip. Pretty minor damage, but I'm glad that it wasn't major.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:56 PM
Instructor

All I have to say about our cars, they are rock solid!! except for the minor squeeks here and there, no biggy. I just hit 7000 miles and all mine are gone
Old 04-15-2002, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the reason it hurts u more when u get hit and u dont break is because ur body goes from 0 mph to 20 mph, or wutever it is, immediately. if the car moves, then so does ur body. wheras, if u have the breaks on, the car absorbs all the energy from the rearend. this goes for when ppl get ejected from there cars if they hit a tree going 60 mph. the car goes from 60-0 mph immediately. but if u rent buckled, the car is stopped at the tree, but ur body is moving at 60mph! OUCH

i take physics in school:p
Old 05-13-2002, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Well, it happened to me this weekend. Small brush on my rear bumper, but knicked down to black on the bumper and lower kit. How much did the insurance company give you for the bumper painting, did anyone have a kit that got messed up too??
Old 05-13-2002, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get it checked out because there could be damage behind the bumper that you can't see. If you have another crash the bumper would do no good in that impact.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:47 AM
Pro

our rears of the car are pretty stronge. i got rear ended at 35+ mph and full speed and just the bumper was damaged but not that bad. i thought the whole rear would be pushed in..but i wasnt. anyways..take out the rear bumper get your re-enforcement checked out cuz that was bent upwards on mine.

then i got rear ended again but its was a hit and run and still just the rear bumper the muffer was damaged...so after two rear accidents no new trunk, nothing pushed in are anything....oh and one new taillight cuz it had a little crack.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

[. It was heavy triffic, stop & go. I was talking on the cell phone, [/QUOTE]

I HATE PEOPLE THAT TALK ON THERE CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING SO SHAME ON YOU. MANY STATES ARE MAKING IT ILLEGAL TO TALK ON THE CELL PHONES WHILE DRIVING AND WHILE IT IS LEGAL TO USE THE CELL PHONE WITH A HANDS FREE KIT IN THE CAR ....I STILL THINK ITS DANGERIOUS FOR SOME PEOPLE .