Is it Real Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Is it Real Leather?

I haven't had much time to check it out totally, but out of curiosity, is the perferated leather on our seats real leather or leatherette? Just curious.
Old 04-30-2001, 05:50 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Cool

They are real leather. However seatbacks, and top part of rear seat backs are leatherette.

Andy Kuo

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV

Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Old 04-30-2001, 06:05 PM

I've been unsure about just exactly what is and isn't leather in my new TL-S, and have received differing responses --both from people on this board and from Acura dealer personnel. So today I sent a letter to Acura Client Services asking them for an exact, detailed description of which surfaces are actual leather. If/when I receive a response from them I'll post it on this board.
Old 04-30-2001, 06:16 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

If you get a response with a cattle prod (say, for example, "Moo!), that's leather.
Other responses, such as, "What the heck are you doing!" are not. It's a fail-safe moo-tivational device (pardon the exceptionally bad pun). I believe the Lithium/Valium is wearing off! Moo!
Old 04-30-2001, 07:14 PM
Drifting

The part you sit on, the part that touches your back and the head rest are leather. The rest is some sort of vinyl or something. You can feel the difference.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
Old 04-30-2001, 07:38 PM
Moo
Pro

Originally posted by Darla:
If you get a response with a cattle prod (say, for example, "Moo!), that's leather.
Other responses, such as, "What the heck are you doing!" are not. It's a fail-safe moo-tivational device (pardon the exceptionally bad pun). I believe the Lithium/Valium is wearing off! Moo!
Moo? Did someone say MOOOOO?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Moo on April 30, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-30-2001, 11:06 PM
Advanced

So what are we supposed to treat it with? I want to make sure to keep my leather and vinyl moist so it keeps that "soft" feel, but I know the products that have to be used on these two materials are very different and can damage the other material.

Any clues on how to treat it?
Old 05-01-2001, 02:28 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Cool

Generally speaking, Armorall is good enough for vinyl. However, there are conditioners that can be used on both leather and vinyl. Leatherette is, technically, different than vinyl. They are NOT the same....though they may FEEL/LOOK the same..

Andy Kuo

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV

Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Old 05-01-2001, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by trippin555:
So what are we supposed to treat it with? I want to make sure to keep my leather and vinyl moist so it keeps that "soft" feel, but I know the products that have to be used on these two materials are very different and can damage the other material.

Any clues on how to treat it?
In sniffing around at various car care sites, the two brands of interior care products that seem to stand out are Lexol and Zaino.

Lexol makes a superb Vinyl cleaner/conditioner/sunscreen called "Vinylex" that is reportedly far superior to Armorall. They are best known, however, for their Leather cleaning and conditioning products.

Zaino, maker of a whole array of superb car care products, makes both a leather cleaner and a leather conditioner. Their conditioner also contains sunscreen, and they state that it works well on vinyl too, although I prefer a product specifically created for use on vinyl/plastic.
www.lexol.com www.zainobros.com

Does that help?

------------------
2002 TL Type-S
WDP, Parchment, Navi
Custom, High-Performance Molybdenum Muffler Bearings --At least, that's what the salesguy said...
Roadbrew (TM) Dashmount cappuccino machine --Messy & dangerous, but worth it.
Bobbing-head dog figurine in rear window --Stylin!
Old 05-01-2001, 03:39 PM
Racer

I'll say it again EagleOne makes great car care products. I've been using them for 14 years.
http://www.eagleone.com/

------------------
'02 TL-S Satin Silver
Old 05-01-2001, 07:17 PM
Pro

I'd say
NEVER use ARMOR ALL on a TL EVER !!!!!

Armor all leaves that oily shiny looking look on your dashboard for weeks.

Use Lexol Leather Cleaner/Conditioner or Meguiar Gold Class or better yet Imperial Leather cleaner/conditioner or the thing that Jaguar / Rolls Royce dealers used "Hide Feed" or something. Those brands were recommended by people in this board since long time ago , especially Lexol.

------------------
2000 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
Mugen Front Grille
Mugen Front Half Spoiler
My Dillema : Mugen springs VS Comptech Springs with Koni Shocks ..what shud i pick ?