ran with F150 SVT Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Sleeper
Lucky Devin: Your too funny. I really dont think you can qualify your implication of ignorance. At least my opinion is somewhat objective. You just dont know when to keep quiet. You could be a man and just admit that you were wrong or you could of just forgotten about it. The way I see it is just because you dislike the Mustang doesnt mean you can post misinformation about it without it being contested. You have every right to your opinion just as I do. But having your own opinion and making up information that is stated as fact are not the same thing. I didnt call you an idiot. I stated that you sounded like one because I dont know you well enough to determine that. I am becoming more and more convinced every post you make.
Sub-Thirteens in the QM is what I meant to say, if that is what you are referring to. I accidentally put sub-fifteen, which we both know is not right.

I'm not an idiot, I simply misprinted a few letters, it was un called for, for you to say what you did though. All you had to do was point out the mistake I made instead of beating around the bush and insulting me.

Also, the reason I (meant to put) barely sub-thirteens is because C&D squeezed 12.9 out of the car.

End of discussion
Old 06-06-2002, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lucky Devin

Perhaps pathetic was a bit harsh of a term to use. But this Supercharged Cobra barely hits sub fifteens, and 36k is not exactly low 30's. I remember John Coletti (of SVT) speaking of this Mustang like it was going to be a serious 'vette challenger, and they failed at their attempt. I'm talking Z06 territory here, not a regular C5. I just think it's cheap that Ford had to resort to slapping a Supercharger on their pony car just to make it competitive. They could either do that, or bring back to Cobra R, which was naturally aspirated yes, but air conditioned, no.

I'm not denying that the Cobra is a very fast car, for a damn good price, however.
I still don't see your point.
Magazines have tested ETs in the 12's.
It pulls a .90 g stock with an easy upgrade to get it to match
cobra r specs
It costs under 35,000 msrp.
The z06 is sweet, but it's also $20,000 more.
Marketing wise the mustang is a winner.
It already killed the camaro/firebird and seriously poses
to dent vet sales at this price.

I think you show a bit of bias... which is fine, just so long as
you know it. I know the G35 is better at almost everything
than my tls, but I still can't get myself to like it.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Closer

I still don't see your point.
Magazines have tested ETs in the 12's.
It pulls a .90 g stock with an easy upgrade to get it to match
cobra r specs
It costs under 35,000 msrp.
The z06 is sweet, but it's also $20,000 more.
Marketing wise the mustang is a winner.
It already killed the camaro/firebird and seriously poses
to dent vet sales at this price.

I think you show a bit of bias... which is fine, just so long as
you know it. I know the G35 is better at almost everything
than my tls, but I still can't get myself to like it.
The Z06 is an absoute supercar by performance standards, nothing that Ford has from the factory (which IS my point), that can really give it a good run. The REAL point I was trying to make here is that Ford will never have a Z06 beater using their current Mustang platform, it's just too old. Sure you could put all kinds of stuff on your Mustang to make it run with a Z06, but for me, that is beside the point. The Mustang is a great performance bargain indeed, if that's your cup of tea, then have at it.

About the Camaro/Firebird thing, that's just one of the great mysteries of our time. Why the Mustang has continued to sell at such a pace for so many years and the F-bods have done so badly is beyone me.

Look, Closer, we agree on something; I don't like the G35 either
Old 06-13-2002, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Lucky Devin: You ever hear of the Mustang FR500? Obviously not. Its a serious Z06 contender based on the current Mustang platform. Its got naturally aspirated 415hp 5.0L engine compared to the 405hp 5.7L in the vette. Its also lower compression and higher revving than the Z06 power plant. The suspension and braking system are totally revised. They moved the front tires 5in. foward while retaining the standard Mustang shock mounting locations. The end result is a serious Corvette contender.

The Mustang platform is dated for sure. Its amazing what you can do with back engineering. However, no one in their right mind is going to take a Mustang over a Corvette. Just as no one in their right mind would take an Acura TL over a BMW 540i.

As far as the Mustang/Camaro thing goes. It seems to me like the Camaro is kinda ugly. Mustangs have more repeat buyers. I have yet to meet a Camaro owner who said they would buy another. Yet you see lots of people with multiple Mustangs.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Sleeper
Lucky Devin: You ever hear of the Mustang FR500? Obviously not. Its a serious Z06 contender based on the current Mustang platform. Its got naturally aspirated 415hp 5.0L engine compared to the 405hp 5.7L in the vette. Its also lower compression and higher revving than the Z06 power plant. The suspension and braking system are totally revised. They moved the front tires 5in. foward while retaining the standard Mustang shock mounting locations. The end result is a serious Corvette contender.

The Mustang platform is dated for sure. Its amazing what you can do with back engineering. However, no one in their right mind i
s going to take a Mustang over a Corvette. Just as no one in their right mind would take an Acura TL over a BMW 540i.

As far as the Mustang/Camaro thing goes. It seems to me like the Camaro is kinda ugly. Mustangs have more repeat buyers. I have yet to meet a Camaro owner who said they would buy another. Yet you see lots of people with multiple Mustangs.
You really need to stop assuming things about me Sleeper, I know all about the Mustang FR500. Let's see here, how many FR500's were made? How much would a FR500 cost? Is the FR500 a production model? NO, it was basically just a design/performance exercise for Ford Racing. Could the FR500 run with a Vette, yes it could, but the Z06 still would ultimately win in all aspects of performance tests. You remember the Car and Driver where the FR500 was on the cover don't you? It read; "As fast as a Corvette, more expensive too!!".
Now, you're points in your second paragraph make sense, but they pretty much contradict what you have stated before about the Mustang-Vette battle.

You must not know many Camaro owners obviously. About the repeat buyers for the Mustang, well that's just great!!!
Old 06-16-2002, 01:02 AM
Advanced

I have assumed absolutely nothing about you other than what you have stated for yourself. Go ahead change your story again. Its funny how your the one quoting magazines now. How convenient.

You missed my point entirely. The point is that there isnt a Mustang-Vette battle. Just as there isnt a 540-TL battle. 2 totally different classes of car. However, as demonstrated by FR500, Ford is capable of building a Z06 performance competitor on the current platform. Would they actually produce this car. NO. Why would they when the Mustang has been so succesful in its class. Who would pick it over the Vette anyway?

By the way Saleen Mustang is as much of production car as the M3 and its competitive with the Z06 as well. But we wont talk about that will we.

Have you ever owned a late model Camaro? If you have, did buy another one? Why not? If you havent, than who's experiences with Camaros/Mustangs are you drawing upon? The reason why there are not repeat buyers is becuase the build quality is horrible. HOwever, LS1 engines are rock solid and time proven by the Vette.