ran with F150 SVT Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ran with F150 SVT Lightning

It is a very quick truck.

then some dude in Mitsubishi 3000GT SL joined in. He was more reckless than quick, so I let him go ahead.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:32 PM
Racer

That's one truck that can keep up with some of the fastest cars available today (at least in a straight line acceleration). Wouldn't mess with it...
Old 05-28-2002, 09:03 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I guess you didn't win?! At least you lost to one hell of a truck.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

yup...those F150s are damn fast...i once cut in front of one and pissed the guy off, and he flashed me, pulled up and cut me off. then i tried to overtake him, and it was quite a race...pretty much even wif him sometimes in front n me sometimes ahead...then he pulled away n went off an exit
Old 05-28-2002, 09:33 PM
Comptech Freak

0-60 in high 5s....

i wouldn't go for it
Old 05-28-2002, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

we had a few goes at it.

First on an empty, remote street. After a 90 degree turn. He was slow through the turn, I was right on his tail. He saw that and pulled away, but I kept up right behind him. We stopped racing at 60 mph.

then on the highway, after a toll. He pulled away hard as I was stuck behind some slow poke. His acceleration looked impressive. I later caught up and we played a bit. Each time one of us was able to stay right behind the other. Then he got stuck way behind me in some slow poke traffic.

Then there was a merge from one highway to another. Loooong onramp with a zebra. I was polite and stayed in the merging lane 'till the end of the zebra, then put my blinker on, looked ver my shoulder and merged into the first lane, then the second lane, then looked back in the mirror and saw the Lightning closing on my six very rapidly. He must have had crossed over the zebra (not playing by the rules) and punched it. I had to floor my TL-S but the damn tranny did not understand what I wanted it to do, so I had some hairy moments with the Lightning on my ass. Then the tranny kicked in and I pulled away.

I would say we were even.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:25 PM
2nd Gear

Talking Need Followup

Please gives more details!
Old 05-28-2002, 10:37 PM
Racer

i almost ran with one. but, at last minute, i figured out that's a SVT lightning & so i gave up. this truck is damn fast. it just take off crazy, lose control & almost hit the wall. with V8 380hp 0-60 in mid 5's, don't even try to unless u got the upcoming supercharger with header & exhaust.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:49 AM
Advanced

They do 13.8 and better stock in the 1/4. lost to one awhile back at Carlsbad drags by a car length.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:50 AM
Racer

yea dont mess with those... They will eat you alive especailly the lighten svt V8. THose people that said KEPT up with them. they were just toying with you guys. Our TLs is kitty play comapre to those cars. Any V 8 is too crazy for the TLS to hang with. Those trucks look lovely though.

BG
Old 05-29-2002, 08:59 AM
Advanced

You think the Lightning is fast? Well, it is of course, but there are even faster trucks headed to the market soon. Personally I don't like the idea of a fast truck, it's kind of an oxymoron to me. The Dodge Ram SRT-10 (I'm pretty sure they are going to build it not long after the new Viper comes out) comes with, you guessed it, the Viper's V10 engine. I wouldn't mess with that. Also, Chevy is committed to building a new Silvarado SS, and I'm sure they wouldn't let Ford/Dodge have the fastest truck on the market. We'll see......
Old 05-29-2002, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Smile

it is also pretty scary toying with a truck. I mean, he is big.

It sucks not having a supercharger, but I turned off my AC to help the engine
Old 05-29-2002, 10:41 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been seeing more and more Lightnings out there lately. This past weekend I've seen a Silver, Black and Red one. I was gonna test the Silver one on the highway (knowing it was faster, but wanted to see how much) but there was traffic. He was also driving a bit wrecklessly weaving in and out of traffic.

If I ever need a truck the SVT would definitely be high on the list! It looks pretty sweet and since the Cobra got a supercharger (or is it a TC) then maybe they'll put one in the Lightning!
Old 05-29-2002, 12:03 PM
Racer

That reminds me something.... I got killed by that truck a while ago. Maybe I'll try to race it again when I have M5 or something..

Well... don't mess with that truck.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Lighting is a great truck for performance. BUT it just isn't a usefull truck. it only seats 2, or 3 if you squeeze. Has a small bed, no 4X4, no all season tires. For a truck it's a waste. The thing sounds so good though.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:48 PM
Cruisin'

I'm the proud original owner of an '00 L, and it does haul a$$, even in stock form. It has lots of low-end grunt which is what got me hooked on it; I'm more of an acceleration junkie than a speed demon. That's why I'm hoping the Comptech SC for the TLS makes a significant performance improvement.

As for it being a truck, I don't use the L as a truck. To me, it's just a fast muscle car w/ a large trunk (I put a carpet bedliner and a hard tonneau on it). It has a hitch, but I've never used it in the last 2+ yrs. In fact, if I need to haul something big, I rent a UHaul. When I need to carry more than 1 passenger, I use the TLS. However, I would like to consolidate the power of the L and the practicality/room of the TLS someday.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:41 PM
Comptech Freak

the SVT lightenling already has a big supercharger to their smooth 5.4 liter triton engine...it's on the 10best engine list for a couple yrs...

380hp...

indeed for more classy...get the harley davidson version...around 340 hp...but looks awesome!!
Old 05-29-2002, 04:03 PM
Pro

TL OR TLS have no chance against a lighting...i mean cmon it runs 13's stock !!! dont tell me this is one of those kill stories where you passed the car while it was taking an exit or behind traffic

(didnt bother to read the whole trhad)
Old 05-29-2002, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by PsyKotiC RydeR
(didnt bother to read the whole trhad)
So why bother writing all that then???

If you want to comment on it why not actually read it? If not how useful are your comments?
Old 05-29-2002, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dear PsyKotiC RydeR, please chill out a bit. I did not say anything that remotely sounded like a "kill".

I just wrote about having a little fun with the Lightning. He probably was a bit quicker but he certainly did not blow my doors off.

We both had a few chances at being stuck behind traffic, we both had a few nice empty straightaways, and we both came to the same exit together.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I ran against a lightening at the track ..

he ran back to back low 13's stock (so he said) .. 13.5 and 13.3 or something pretty close. This was the latest model too.

I guess if you have to haul lumber that fast...
Old 05-30-2002, 04:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by PeterUbers
I guess if you have to haul lumber that fast...
lol
Old 05-31-2002, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by ferizzo
I've been seeing more and more Lightnings out there lately. This past weekend I've seen a Silver, Black and Red one. I was gonna test the Silver one on the highway (knowing it was faster, but wanted to see how much) but there was traffic. He was also driving a bit wrecklessly weaving in and out of traffic.

If I ever need a truck the SVT would definitely be high on the list! It looks pretty sweet and since the Cobra got a supercharger (or is it a TC) then maybe they'll put one in the Lightning!
The Cobra has a supercharger, and it still is no match for the Z06, quite a pathetic attempt by Ford if you ask me. This current Rustang platform will never produce a Z06 challenger if you ask me.

Also, the Lightning already has a supercharger on it.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:36 AM
Racer

Originally posted by samkws
indeed for more classy...get the harley davidson version...around 340 hp...but looks awesome!!
Plus, it's already rollin' on dubs
Old 06-01-2002, 04:24 PM
Instructor

lmao, the Cobra is not supercharged

Ruski, u have n e mods?
Old 06-01-2002, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bnaderi
lmao, the Cobra is not supercharged

Ruski, u have n e mods?
The new Cobra does come supercharged.
New Lightnings come supercharged.
New Harley Davidson Truck comes supercharged.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

no mods

my TL-S is leased
Old 06-02-2002, 05:09 PM
6th Gear

Thumbs up SVT Lightning

There are quite a few of them in our SVTOA club. I've watched them on the dyno and raced them on a road course. They are sick. I can outhandle them in the Contour but when the road gets str8 they are gooone. The wife tried to race one on the hiway. It ran low 12s at the track. Lets just say it was ugly.

-R-
Old 06-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I talked to a lightning owner. He said if you got a good launch
then the truck was very quick. But he also said that on the
street, a lot of times you'll either get too much wheel spin or not
get all out of 1st gear. And the tranny is very conservative, it
likes to go to 2nd gear asap and not downshift back to 1st very
quick. When he lost races it was usually due to his tranny more
than anything else.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Lucky Devin

The Cobra has a supercharger, and it still is no match for the Z06, quite a pathetic attempt by Ford if you ask me. This current Rustang platform will never produce a Z06 challenger if you ask me.
How is it a pathetic attempt? A sub 13 second car for low 30's?
I've been thinking about trading my TLS for one.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Closer

How is it a pathetic attempt? A sub 13 second car for low 30's?
I've been thinking about trading my TLS for one.
Perhaps pathetic was a bit harsh of a term to use. But this Supercharged Cobra barely hits sub fifteens, and 36k is not exactly low 30's. I remember John Coletti (of SVT) speaking of this Mustang like it was going to be a serious 'vette challenger, and they failed at their attempt. I'm talking Z06 territory here, not a regular C5. I just think it's cheap that Ford had to resort to slapping a Supercharger on their pony car just to make it competitive. They could either do that, or bring back to Cobra R, which was naturally aspirated yes, but air conditioned, no.

I'm not denying that the Cobra is a very fast car, for a damn good price, however.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

my TL-S is leased
So is my CL-S. As long as it's put back together when it's over
Old 06-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Advanced

I just finished reading a magazine article in MM&FF about the '03 Cobra. Here is quote from the article

"We ran 12.67 twice at 110.11 mph into a headwind at Raceway Park in Englishtown, N.J. Under the right conditions, it might go 12.5s at 111 or more on stock tires. No Camaro can top that in factory trim and nothing short of a new Z06 will beat it. "

here is a link to the article:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...atures01.shtml

I would have to say thats just a wee bit better than 'barely hits sub fifteens' wouldnt you.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Also the Cobra runs a 4.9sec street start, i.e., 5-60mph with clutch fully engaged. Thats good enough to reel in just about anything on the street. 4-wheel independant suspension and 6 speed tranny. If thats not impressive for $35K then I dont know what is.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Sleeper
Also the Cobra runs a 4.9sec street start, i.e., 5-60mph with clutch fully engaged. Thats good enough to reel in just about anything on the street. 4-wheel independant suspension and 6 speed tranny. If thats not impressive for $35K then I dont know what is.
If you read what I posted then you will see that I did state that the Cobra is indeed a performance bargain.

You can quote all the magazine times you want to, I really don't give a fuuk. WOW, the Cobra can now finally beat a Camaro SS!!! It's a shame that Ford had to resort to forced induction to do so however....

Don't bother pointing out to me the Cobra R's times either, I know quite well what the car is capable of and what it is not capable of.......like keeping the driver comfortable.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Also the Cobra runs a 4.9sec street start, i.e., 5-60mph with clutch fully engaged. Thats good enough to reel in just about anything on the street...
Lemme correct you a bit--"anything on four wheels"...methinks it would be a bit tougher to reel in some things on two wheels.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:13 PM
Advanced

Lucky Devin: No need to get angry at me. Its not my fault you sound like a total idiot. Blame your parents. I merely quoted a magazine to show the source of my information rather than just pulling it out of my *ss. Its also a shame that the Porshe 911 GT2 had to resort to forced induction otherwise it might be a real sports car also.

tdoh: You are absolutely correct except for your quote.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:15 PM
Advanced

Lucky Devin: No need to get angry at me. Its not my fault you sound like a total idiot. Blame your parents. I merely quoted a magazine to show the source of my information rather than just pulling it out of my *ss. Its also a shame that the Porshe 911 GT2 had to resort to forced induction otherwise it might be a real sports car also.

tdoh: You are absolutely correct except for your quote.
What is your problem, dude? Just because I don't like Mustangs does not give you the right to try and belittle me on the forum. It is quite immature of you to call me a total idiot, when it is you who is quoting the magazine articles and not coming up with your own opinion. You sound like an angry 14 year old by saying that about my parents, you don't know a damn thing about me, so don't go there.

The Porche also has two fewer cyllinders to play with than the Mustang. Porche and Mustang should not even be mentioned in the same sentence with each other, you totally misinterpreted the point I was making. You are the one who is the aggressor.

Anyone can quote times out of a magazine. You need to chill the fuuk out. If you want to go buy a new Cobra, then go for it, as I stated before (twice I think), it is indeed a performance bargain. Be ignorant at your own risk.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Racer

I read that 5-60 mph took 4.9 seconds too. The quickest run from 0-60 took just 4.5 seconds. For under $35k... :wow:
Old 06-05-2002, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Lucky Devin: Your too funny. I really dont think you can qualify your implication of ignorance. At least my opinion is somewhat objective. You just dont know when to keep quiet. You could be a man and just admit that you were wrong or you could of just forgotten about it. The way I see it is just because you dislike the Mustang doesnt mean you can post misinformation about it without it being contested. You have every right to your opinion just as I do. But having your own opinion and making up information that is stated as fact are not the same thing. I didnt call you an idiot. I stated that you sounded like one because I dont know you well enough to determine that. However, I am becoming more and more convinced every post you make.

Quick Reply: ran with F150 SVT Lightning