Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 02:35 PM
jbn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar Detectors

Hey guys is this to good to be true. Do any of you have a opionon on the Phantom II. Does it work, is it a waste of money, is a regular detector better?

http://www.technoscout.com/general/product/product.asp?product=224&Prod_Name=Phantom_II&site= 85496
Old 03-04-2002, 03:02 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Believe me when I say that I was soooo close in getting that instead of the passport 8500. The main reason why I didn't in the end was that being caught in CA with it is an instant misdemeanor and the other is that the radar portion isnt as good as the 8500 or the V1. If it's within your budget to do so, I say get it and report back the conclusions to us.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Ack! horrible waste of money; buy a good radar detector (Valentine1) and avoid the trap.
Do some searches on jammers and you'll find overwhelmingly that they don't work.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Your link doesn't work for me, but I'll pass along what I've read.

Active jammers, send a signal back to the radar gun and as the name implies "jam's" the signal. I've read that a few of these work pretty well, but they are highly illegal in most states since your are actively trying to disrupt the radar gun and you are transmitting the signal (against FCC regulations). Not only that, but the cop is going to know that you just "jammed" him, which might cause him to hunt you down anyway.

Passive jammers don't transmit a signal, but claim to scramble it, which also confuses the radar gun. Since you are not transmitting, but only receiving a signal (prefectly legal), they are most likely legal in most states (except Canada, VA, & D.C.). From what I've read about passive jammers, they are good paperweights and nothing else. Don't waste your money.

I recommend buying a high end radar detector (i.e. Passport 8500 or V1). It will be money better spent.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Re: Radar Detectors

V1 is still the best period.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:54 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Radar Detectors

Originally posted by Speedy3.2CL-S
V1 is still the best period.
Here we go again with the great V1/8500 debate.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Re: Radar Detectors

Originally posted by goaub

Here we go again with the great V1/8500 debate.
It's already been proven. v1.8 V1 is the best.

I had both Passport 8500 and V1 1.8, and the V1 blew the passport out the window.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:28 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Radar Detectors

I had both Passport 8500 and V1 1.8, and the V1 blew the passport out the window.
Good for you then.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a Passport 8500. It has more than paid for itself doubbled over! One thing you may want to consider is the Laser Jammer. There are no federal laws that prohibit the use of the active laser jammer, because it is not regulated by the FCC. I recomend the Lidatek. Anyone have one of these? I hear that it is the only Laser Jammer that works no matter where the lidar gun is aimed on the front of the car. For more details go to :

Lidatek Website

Or

Radar Test Website
Old 03-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally posted by LinuxRacr
[B]I have a Passport 8500. It has more than paid for itself doubbled over!
Me too! I guess I'm just getting tired of the mine's better than yours attitude and I took it out on Speedy3.2CL-S. I could have very easily afforded a V1, but I had a hard time justifying the purchase of the 8500, especially since my old Passport 4500 was working just fine. I'm just not into going around telling people my stuff is better than theirs, especially because "someone else said so".

From a true "detection" standpoint, the 8500 and the V1 are overkill anyway and you could get by with a less expensive BEL.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:46 PM
Advanced

GET A VALENTINE!!!
Old 03-05-2002, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

From a true "detection" standpoint, the 8500 and the V1 are overkill anyway and you could get by with a less expensive BEL.
You lost all credibility there.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 1999TL

You lost all credibility there.
C&D, which everyone here by the way is claiming to be the be all and end all of radar dector testing since they proclaimed the V1 the best, did a writeup about a year ago showcasing inexpensive detectors. They claimed that if you're willing to give up some bells and whistles, some of your lower priced detectors are just as good. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:06 PM
Banned

C&D, which everyone here by the way is claiming to be the be all and end all of radar dector testing since they proclaimed the V1 the best, did a writeup about a year ago showcasing inexpensive detectors. They claimed that if you're willing to give up some bells and whistles, some of your lower priced detectors are just as good. I'll see if I can dig it up.
My bad, it was a Motor Trend article from last March, Do a search on radar detectors and you'll find it. For some reason the URL just comes up as www.motortrend.com, without the specific page.

To save you some time, here some excerpts pulled directly from the article:

Dashtop Radar/Laser Detectors Under $200 MSRP
Although these units generally share the main electronics capabilities of the more expensive detectors, units under $200 will offer less in the way of features. One area where the under $200 detectors are decontented is in the area laser detection since many lack 360-degree capabilities. Since laser detection capabilities are marginal, even on the high-end models as demonstrated by the SML tests, this should not factor into your purchase decision.

BEL 926 $199.95
Although priced at the top of the sub-$200 price class, the 926 is a scaled down version of its more expensive sibling, the 980. If you can live without additional selectable features, the 926 will provide a high level of protection without breaking your budget.

Cobra 9000 $84.95
The Cobra 9000 is proof positive that it is possible to get a high-quality detector for less than $100. Although not as stylish as the XR-1050, it provides all essential coverage over nine bands, saving big bucks in the process.

Uniden 967 $99.95
Far and away the smallest of the units in this collection, the two-tone gray/silver Uniden 967 is a distinctive-looking unit that offers a comprehensive collection of features. While it lacks K and Ka band sensitivity of competitive units, conversely, it was the only low-priced unit to give a VG-2 notification.

Whistler 1655 $119.95
A conventional-looking unit with all essential features included at an affordable price. Offers a battery save feature that automatically turns off the unit to prevent drain, great if you're forgetful and your power point is always on

In the under-$200 category, where blister-packed detectors are the rule, the Cobra 9000 stood out as an outstanding value. Basically a decontented version of the more expensive XR-1050, the Cobra was well built and produced fewer false alarms than competitive units, especially from X-Band sources.

My point to all of this is that if your not interested in what direction the signal is coming from (V1) or how many signals your receiving (V1 & 8500) or the signal strength of each of the signals (8500), you can get decent (read my words here, I said decent, not the best), protection at a substantial savings.

In addition, I'm trying to give people an informed opinion instead of telling them to be blind sheep and buy what everyone proclaims to be the best, and unless they get the best, they're not worthy. I'm not disputing the performance of the V1, 8500 or other "high end " detector, what I'm trying to say is that if all you care about is basic detection, you can get that for less.

I chose the 8500 because I've always liked Passports, it got good reviews, and for the extra $130 that the V1 would cost me for the arrows and a little more detection distance (the 8500 is already impressive), wasn't worth it to me.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:45 PM

I chose the 8500 because I've always liked Passports, it got good reviews, and for the extra $130 that the V1 would cost me for the arrows and a little more detection distance (the 8500 is already impressive), wasn't worth it to me.
I agree. I bought the 8500 because at the time it was voted to be the most accurate detector around. Obviously things change and competition will make other detectors better. Speedy3.2CL-S makes a good point with the 1.8, but when I was choosing between the two, I believe the V1 version might have only been the 1.7. I'm sure in a year the 8500 will come up with a better software version so the cycle will repeat again. For me personally, I like the 8500 because it allows you to monitor the battery voltage. There was often times I would be out with my girl at night looking over a cliff with the radio on and the voltage meter basically gave you an idea how long you could last. An alarm would sound if the voltage ever dropped below 10.6V, so draining your battery is not an issue unless you were not around to hear the alarm.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:59 PM
Banned

Hey edgalang, I haven't been keeping up, did you get a new ride yet?
Old 03-05-2002, 05:03 PM

Hey edgalang, I haven't been keeping up, did you get a new ride yet?
Nope...getting it fixed. It'll be a month long project. The only good thing I could think of is that at least I'll be getting a wing for free (compliments of the bodyshop...OEM too) and the Thermal R&D exhausts. I'm going back to the shop to give them my recharged air filter and when I do I'll take pics of it then. I bet NONE of you guys have ever seen a ripped apart TL like this one.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by edgalang

Nope...getting it fixed. It'll be a month long project. The only good thing I could think of is that at least I'll be getting a wing for free (compliments of the bodyshop...OEM too) and the Thermal R&D exhausts. I'm going back to the shop to give them my recharged air filter and when I do I'll take pics of it then. I bet NONE of you guys have ever seen a ripped apart TL like this one.
Good luck!
Old 03-05-2002, 11:05 PM
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: Re: Radar Detectors

Oh for the love of Pete, must we start again?
Old 03-06-2002, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

blah blah blah... this argument between detectors is usless. The tests are practically useless. These test show the detector at it's best - in practice you need to research which works for you, in your car, in your area, where you'll mount it and learn it's behavior.

Remotes are the best because of there predictability. There not so many variances in installation, they are not effected as much by weather, windshield angle, windshield coatings etc.

If you can reproduce the conditions of these "tests" then you might have an argument - but in practice most people do not come anywhere close to what's measured in the tests. Half the time they're mounted poorly - why because their intrusive, obstuctive and just plain in the way. Oh and of course real easy to steal.

And for those of you "hiding" it - your also "hiding" it's sensors. Argue all you want but it's what work in practice that's important.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by brian-tls

And for those of you "hiding" it - your also "hiding" it's sensors. Argue all you want but it's what work in practice that's important.
It cracks me up when I see people with the detector sitting on the dash with the rear of it below the line of the windshield .

Why bother?
Old 03-06-2002, 04:43 AM

It cracks me up when I see people with the detector sitting on the dash with the rear of it below the line of the windshield .

Why bother?
I had mine sitting ever so slightly on the dash right above the light sensor right smack in the middle. It would be a pretty small detector to have it mounted BELOW the windshield line. After I get my car back I'm thinking about mounting it right below the rear view mirror as long as it doesnt stick out further than the mirror itself since I just recently bought the hardwire kit. Another option is to mount it on top but wont the factory tint up there affect the range?
Old 03-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Banned

Another option is to mount it on top but wont the factory tint up there affect the range?
It shouldn't affect radar, but it might limit you with lasar, but you know that lasar is lethal anyway.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:08 AM
Drifting

I mount my BEL 950 (great value, by the way) directly to the left of my rearview mirror. That position allows the suction cups to attach below the dot matrix area for better adhesion, and also places the laser detector lens under the windshield tint.

I've also made a custom power cord that runs under the headliner and down the A-pillar into the fuse box, so there are no dangly bits of coiled wire.

When I don't have my detector attached, I can easily stow the power cord completely under the headliner and you'd never know that there ever was a power cord there.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by daverman
I mount my BEL 950 (great value, by the way) directly to the left of my rearview mirror. That position allows the suction cups to attach below the dot matrix area for better adhesion, and also places the laser detector lens under the windshield tint.

A hint about the suction cups and the dot matrix. I solved that by using some clear packing tape. You put a 4 inch piece up there over the dot matrix, it's practically invisible and it provides a smooth surface to mount the suction cups.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

With all this talk about getting radar detectors and which one is the best, I'd like to ask this--how many of you went out and bought detectors in part because you were caught speeding and, having been swayed by opinion, bought one so as to minimize the risk of getting caught speeding by radar (daverman comes to mind)?

FWIW--I've gotten a few speeding tickets in my youth--but I've never been caught speeding solely because I was caught unawares by a radar unit; IOW, having a radar detector would not have saved my butt from any of the speeding tickets I've received.

What am I trying to get at here? Just that there is a way to speed "smartly", so to speak. Now, I'm not saying that radar detectors are useless, just that perhaps it is possible to speed as long as you wisely pick your spots. Remember--radar detectors detect radar, not cops. Any proficient cop can just about accurately determine how fast you're going even without the aid of a radar unit. Maybe someone who has access to speeding ticket data can figure out what percentage of speeding tickets were written up where the speed was determined solely based on a radar unit readout...I'm almost willing to bet it won't be even 40%.

Tony

Tony
Old 03-06-2002, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

The only times I've been caught speeding were by stationary cops using radar, both times at night. I had a real cheap uniden on one time, off the other. Since I purchased the V1 its saved my butt many times in the same situation; there's a stationary cop and you can't see him until you're on top of him for one reason or another.
Yes, just being "smart" can greatly reduce your risk of being caught if the cop is mobile and you're being paced.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Only time I have ever been caught is while the cop is driving in on coming traffic. Using instant-on, popping over a hill. You're pretty much dead meat!

But the fact still stands that the stationary cops are a threat and there still is a possibility that I might get caught so that is why I bought a radar detector. One slip pays for it by itself in the ticket fee and the insurance hike.

p.s. and I did buy a Passport 8500, testing it out...we will see how I like it in 30 days
Old 03-06-2002, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, just being "smart" can greatly reduce your risk of being caught if the cop is mobile and you're being paced.
But the fact still stands that the stationary cops are a threat and there still is a possibility that I might get caught so that is why I bought a radar detector.
A really good stationary cop doesn't always need to use radar to pick out a speeder. Ever see the ones who sit at the top of a freeway onramp and have a great view of traffic? At the distance and position they're sitting at, they're not going to use radar to lock onto vehicles, instead waiting for the clueless driver sticking out like a sore thumb (and there are plenty of them) to speed past...

Tony
Old 03-06-2002, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by tdoh

What am I trying to get at here? Just that there is a way to speed "smartly", so to speak. Now, I'm not saying that radar detectors are useless, just that perhaps it is possible to speed as long as you wisely pick your spots.

Speed smartly? Pick your spots Seeing as you can't predict where a cop will be I don't see how you can do either reliably. And you can't see around corners or barriers but a detector may.

This isn't about just a casual "race" - this is about driving daily. A radar detector isn't going save every situation, how could it? But it will help. I purchased mine after getting caught doing a whopping 79 in a 65 from an unmarked cop (in a rather neat looking camaro) with the radar pointed backwards (he was in front of me doing 75-77). Let's face it - a TLS at 79 is nothing, I was talking to the person with me and wasn't watching speed at all.

I guess I wasn't "speeding smartly" but who here hasn't been over the speed limit while not constantly scanning for cops??

Besides, I doubt too many people would have picked this car out of a crowd anyways. And don't anyone say they can find cops better or some such nonsence - I've picked out mustangs and Grand Nationals in CT and Porsches in AZ in my time.

Its the time when your driving home from work, listening to the news - thats when radar detectors help.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

i love my bel vector 95. it has been awesome. wouldn't trade it for any other model.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

Another option is to mount it on top but wont the factory tint up there affect the range?
Radar is line of site - anything between it and the source can hinder performance. What you need to research is to what degree.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:42 PM

My only guess on tdoh's perspective is that like me, he lives in CA. I can pretty much vouch for that radar detector are *almost useless in Northern CA since most of the Highway Patrol paces you from the back sometimes informed from stationary watchpoints.

It wasnt untill I drove near Southern CA (to exchange rims with veilstytlez) did my opinion change drastically, since every single Highway Patrol vehicle I saw had their radars on while driving (which also saved veilstylez from a ticket when test driving my car!).

The only times I have ever been involved being caught speeding was when I was doing 87mph downhill on I-280 (paced from the back) and the other clocked from the air (we were in a white minivan doing 80) going to Reno, NV.

I fully agree that detectors won't save you from a speeding ticket...but at least it can help us try to reduce the % of getting one.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tdoh

A really good stationary cop doesn't always need to use radar to pick out a speeder. Ever see the ones who sit at the top of a freeway onramp and have a great view of traffic? At the distance and position they're sitting at, they're not going to use radar to lock onto vehicles, instead waiting for the clueless driver sticking out like a sore thumb (and there are plenty of them) to speed past...

Tony
Right, that is what they do for a living. All they need to know is how far you are traveling in how much time and they have your speed. Within a pretty small margin of error
Old 03-06-2002, 07:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by brian-tls
Speed smartly? Pick your spots Seeing as you can't predict where a cop will be I don't see how you can do either reliably.
Well, at least edgalang and wampum see what I was getting at. If you think that the only way cops can tell whether or not you're speeding is by aiming a radar gun at you--well, it appears that you're a bit naive here...
And you can't see around corners or barriers but a detector may.
No, you can't; and you can't see over a hillcrest either, but if you (not you, personally) had even half a brain you'd know better than to be driving too fast in such situations. And besides, unless radar detectors can bend the laws of physics, they can't see around corners or barriers either, except during those times where some cop left his radar unit on.
This isn't about just a casual "race" - this is about driving daily. A radar detector isn't going save every situation, how could it? But it will help.
I never said or implied that radar detectors were useless; sure, they can work as advertised. But is it a substitute for not having to pay attention as to how fast you're going or to what's around you?
Let's face it - a TLS at 79 is nothing, I was talking to the person with me and wasn't watching speed at all.
Exactly--you were more busy talking to your buddy rather than reducing the possibility of getting caught. Note that I'm not saying that if you had slowed down you wouldn't have got caught, but rather that if you were paying a bit more attention to driving you might have avoided a ticket.
I guess I wasn't "speeding smartly"
Would it have been better to be speeding "dumbly?"
And don't anyone say they can find cops better or some such...
I won't, but I will say that the only times I've gotten a speeding ticket were because I pulled a brain fart (pulling away at a high rate of speed without checking my six first, for example--live and learn), not because some cop was hiding behind a tree and got me with instant-on radar. There are other skills involved in knowing how, when, and where to speed without getting caught besides relying on the use of a radar detector.
Its the time when your driving home from work, listening to the news - thats when radar detectors help.
Dunno how the drive-home commute is like in Nashville but here in SF or Sacto the commute is so bad that there isn't much opportunity to speed as it is...

Tony
Old 03-06-2002, 09:26 PM
Advanced

http://www.valentineone.com/lab/detectortests.asp
Old 03-06-2002, 09:57 PM
Banned

Tdoh,

I agree with you that in many cases you can avoid a ticket by just being aware of your surroundings. For example, if your driving down the highway and you see everyone hitting their brakes up ahead. But the radar detector should warn you in those cases in advance by catching the "residual" signal from when the cop clocked the traffic that was way in front of you. A good radar detector will give you a warning way before you can spot or even consider being aware of your situational surroundings. That's provided that the cop turned his gun on some time before you got to him.

The only time a radar detector won't help you is if your the only one on the road and your speeding. Since there has been no traffic in front of you, the cop hasn't turned on the gun and basically nails you as you come up on him.

I always make sure that there is some sort of traffic in front of me no matter how fast I'm going and I slow down at the earliest warning from my detector. If it's 2am and I'm the only one on the road, I stay as close as possible to the speed limit.

I am a lead foot and rarely follow the speed limit (except in residential areas or in bad weather) and this technique has worked for me to the point that I haven't been nailed by radar in close to 12 years.

Knock on wood.

A detector alone will not protect you, your eyes alone won't protect you, but using both will give you a significant advantage against them cops.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:43 PM
Drifting

Well, since my name popped up

There are three kinds of speed-busting cops: those who are lazy and leave their radars on all the time, those who occasionally pick off speeders on a busy highway, and those who are experts and lie in ambush for an unsuspecting speeder with an instant-on, laser, or pure visual speed check.

A radar detector can't save you from the third cop, but it will surely save you from the first two. After I've installed my radar detector, I see cops everywhere, even before they're in my view. I've seen cops in unmarked cars rolling with their radars on, cops sitting on onramps randomly picking off cars with their guns (and alerting me a mile away), and cops parked at intersections waiting for red light runners who don't bother turning their radars off.

I agree that a swivel head and situational awareness is what will save you in the end, but don't discount the lowly gadget. It's an extra pair of eyes to watch your back.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Question

Does "eye certification" really exist? Has anyone been ticketed by a stationary cop who thought you were speeding because you looked like you were going fast? I could understand if he timed you between two points with a stopwatch, but... there's always a big degree of human error.
How would they ticket you for such an offense seeing that the fine is based on your speed and they have no idea what it really was? (yes, I know they did this pre-radar, but does it hold up in court now???) maybe I'm just confused.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Severin
Does "eye certification" really exist? Has anyone been ticketed by a stationary cop who thought you were speeding because you looked like you were going fast?
I wasn't implying that cops would cite/testify as to your speed solely based on watching you drive by; when cops are sitting on the onramps watching traffic, they are pretty good at using their eyes to determine the speed of traffic. When they lock on to a speeder--who usually sticks out from the rest of traffic--that's when they go after the guy and pace him with his car for verification before pulling the poor guy over.

Tony

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors