Questions before I buy a 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 03:58 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions before I buy a 2003

I currently drive a '95 Integra GSR. It has been a great car, but I'm looking to move up to something a little more comfortable.

I've driven a few 2003 cars in this class including a Lexus ES300 - yuk, an Infinity G35 - nice but cramped in the driver's seat, and a TL-S. I liked the Acura very much and quite a bit more than the G35.

I've spend the last hour reading about the transmission problems and I have a few questions to make sure I understand what I have read. Sorry about yet another transmission question...

The transmission problems where fixed in the mid-2003 production year. Were they really fixed or just mitigated?

2003 TL with a vin > ...19000 are the ones with the corrected transmission? Just to make sure I am reading the vin correctly, one car that I drove has a vin of 19UUA56823A072xxx - so this should be ok?

In the cars manufactured before this, roughly what percentage of transmissions actually go bad? From reading the internet, it seems like its just a matter of time for every TL on the road.

If it were you, would you buy an older 2003 with the extra warranty or a newer 2003 with the corrected tranny?

TL vs. Type S. I thought that TL was fairly quick, certainly quick enough for my driving style, but the type S was noticeably quicker and faster and more importantly has a completey different personality. I didn't really notice THAT much difference in the ride comfort from a suspension standpoint. But I did notice a big difference in the seats. The seats in the type S were much more comfortable for the 30 minutes I drove each car. How do they hold up for 5-6 hours on the highway?

When giving a 2003 a thorough check before buying, are there other common problems, issues, etc. that I should keep an eye out for?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:28 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Okay first, no 2G TL has a "fixed" transmission. None of them were really corrected for the problem that plagues most TL owners. The late model 2003s simply had the oil jet kit (that was external recall-required part on other 2Gs) built in. This does not address the prevalent problem: weak 3rd gear clutchpacks that overheat and fail, leading to failure.

Personally, if I had to do over again, I would have never bought a TL at all - but since you are, let me give you some tips:

1. Buy an 03 that is covered by the 7/100k warranty if possible, and if not then pay extra for the warranty. It's a gamble, of course, but better to pay $900 now than $4000 later.

2. I didn't notice much difference between power or ride quality in TL-P vs TL-S. But from a styling standpoint, the TL-S is more attractive and more desirable.

3. No one knows the exact percentage except Acura of transmissions that go bad and they are not talking.

4. The internet blows the actual number that go bad out of proportion. People don't start threads announcing that their transmissions are performing fine.

5. Seats are comfortable and supportive, even on long drives.

6. Common problems include condensation in the headlight housing (can lead to expensive HID component replacement), broken motor mounts (clunking, wobbling), warped rotors (vibrations while braking), SRS light (should be off, if it is on there is a 10/150k warranty on this anyway).
Old 05-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He pretty much answered everything I was gonna say. I always wanted this body style over the newer one and knew about the tranny issues. You have a coverage to 100,000 and if your vehicle doesn't fall under the warranty , out of kindness Acura most likely will change it but you pay the labor. Go to the Acura owners link put in the Vin and see if the car is covered. Acura OEM brakes suck, depending on how hard you drive that will be your only gripe. Some complain about sunroof rattling, but I never heard it. No car is perfect , other than having the tranny issue in the back of your mind , the TL is an great buy. If I could kiss my car every day without looking stupid I would
Old 05-21-2006, 09:59 PM
TLingggggggg

Wow that dude pretty much summed it up. My biggest fear and what should be yours is the Transmission, so dont get a TL with a title on it or your transmission warranty is voided and all of the warranties are voided if you do buy a TL with any sort of title on it(Salvage, Rebuilt, etc). Other then that the car is fine and comfty and the only problem I 've had so far is the stupid brakes but thats just probably me or a few others. The only thing I pretty much despise about this car is that its made in America but what Japanese car isnt as of lately but thats just my opinion.