Questions about touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Questions about touch up paint

I just got back from a road trip from Canada and I must say that our cars lived up to their reputations as great touring cars. The ride was smooth and the automatic climate control kept me comfortable throughout the trip. The only problem was that when I got home and washed my car, I noticed a few stone chips on the hood. I heard that the touch up paint from Paintscratch.com was better than the factory touch up paint so I placed my order for satin silver metallic basecoat and clearcoat. I was just wondering what was the best way to apply the paint and clearcoat for those of you who have already used it. 1) Should I wash the area to be touched up with Dawn so it removes any wax build-up? 2) What should I use to apply the basecoat and clearcoat? 3) How long is the drying time? 4) Can I use a hair dryer to speed up the drying time? Sorry for asking so many questions. Its just that I want to make the repairs to appear as good as new. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:43 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cleaning the area is probably the first thing you want to do. When you're applying, don't use the applicator brush in the lid, it's terrible. I think you can use a toothpick instead. When you're applying the paint, it'll turn out much better if you apply a few thin coats instead of one thick coat. Drying time is usually listed on the bottles but it's also dependent on humidity, temperature, etc...so it varies. I wouldn't want to speed it up with a hair dryer because you might move the paint. If you want the best results, just take your time.