Questions about 03 TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 08:48 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about 03 TL Type-S

Hi,

I'm going to purchase a 03 TL Type-S within a month. I have some questions;

1) I know there are no Auto On/Off headlights although many lower-class car have them Is there mods to activate such feature? Or many of you just leave the headlights on everytime?

2) I know in the 02 Type-S model, you can't get wood grain interior over metallic. Is it possible to get Type-S and wood grain in 03?

3) How are the stereo system? My requirement isn't that high, a 200 Watt JBL system in the Camry will stasify me. However I've listened to 02 Type-S and the sound quality disappoints me.

Thank you
Old 05-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

'03 mods

Why do you want the lights to come on automatically anyway?
They will shut off after setting the alarm, if you forget.

If you want wood grain, order the replacement parts from the dealer and install, there's no option as new.

Stereo is "okay", but lacks bass.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

stereo is pretty good for a stock system...of course that doesnt mean its great
Old 05-31-2002, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Post Re: Questions about 03 TL Type-S

In order

1) There is no Auto On/Off feature. Personally I'm glad... if I want them on all the time, I'll leave them on, and vice versa. I do not know of any mod that will do this. It's possible that an aftermarket alarm may have a module for this, but I can't think of any off hand.

2) The TL Type-S does not offer "metallic" as a trim. There's either the Blackwood or the Burlwood. The trim depends on the color of the interior. The dark interior has the Blackwood and the Parchment has the Burlwood. Some interior colors are not available with certain exterior ones. If you really want a metallic or aluminum trim, you can add it aftermarket for the TL or you can buy the '03 CL-S 6speed.

3) The BOSE system is very clear, and fairly loud, but, like was mentioned... lacks bass. I have the 2002 TL-S and I can tell you that the '03 is the same, so if you didn't like the '02 stereo, you won't like the '03. Personally I like it, but since it's mostly highs and midrange, I needed an extra bit of thump. My subwoofers should be installed by Sun.... so that should solve any bass issues
Old 05-31-2002, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
If you leave the head lights are on for I think 30 seconds or so when the car is not running they will shut off. When you start up the car, the lights will come back on. The lights will also shut off when you activate the alarm.

If you like more classical music, opera, country, the more mid toned music the sound system will sound great to you. If you like heavy metal, rap, more bass and high toned then it will not sound as crisp. Overall, the system is not that bad.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:46 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies

About auto on/off headlights, because my current car (99 Toyota Solara SLE) have it and I like the feature a lot.

About the metallic trim what I really mean is blackwood. And I prefer brownwood to blackwood. So to get brownwood, I have to get Parchment Leather right? I thought all Type-S get blackwood. At least that's what I heard from last year.

When I was testing the 02 TL Type-S last year, I pop in some music with heavy bass. The bass sounds very shallow and not precise compared to my Solara. I guess I will test the sound system out after I buy it.

Thanks for all the reply
Old 05-31-2002, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Re: Thanks for the replies

Nope, burlwood (brown) and blackwood have been the same since the refresh on the '02 models.... dark interiors have the blackwood, light have the burlwood. You can configure your selection on Acura's site and you'll see which wood you're getting.

I have the bass all the way up and it isn't too bad.... there are other cars with better factory stereos, but that's why I'm adding subs....
Old 05-31-2002, 04:45 PM
4th Gear

Re: Re: Thanks for the replies

Thanks

The color I really want is Silver. However silver only comes with Ebony interior which means it will use blackwood. Is it possible to do mod on the wood? Change blackwood to brownwood?
Old 05-31-2002, 04:50 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Questions about 03 TL Type-S

Originally posted by ~CK~
3) How are the stereo system? My requirement isn't that high, a 200 Watt JBL system in the Camry will stasify me. However I've listened to 02 Type-S and the sound quality disappoints me.
Oddly enough, the editors over at Edmunds placed the TL's stereo system in its the Top Ten list...

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...6/article.html
Old 05-31-2002, 06:57 PM
4th Gear

Re: Re: Questions about 03 TL Type-S

Originally posted by IntegraVT

Oddly enough, the editors over at Edmunds placed the TL's stereo system in its the Top Ten list...

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...6/article.html
Amm, the system is competing with BMW Harman-Kardon, Lexus Mark Levinson, Mercedes S500, Volvo S80........etc

I have no idea how Acura's Bose system can even group up with these systems.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:12 PM
Advanced

It is 50 times better then my harmon kardon system in my 540i

TL has good audio. Much better then BMW
Old 06-04-2002, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Re: Re: Thanks for the replies

Originally posted by ~CK~
Thanks

The color I really want is Silver. However silver only comes with Ebony interior which means it will use blackwood. Is it possible to do mod on the wood? Change blackwood to brownwood?
You can buy an aftermarket kit of the burlwood (brownwood), however, the factory strips down the center console would be blackwood. It is very hard, if not impossible to remove those. Plus, Acura does not sell those seperately, so you couldn't buy those in burlwood to replace the blackwood. They'll only do a direct swap. If you're dead set on it you could try a junk yard for the pieces, but even then it will be expensive to do the swap.....
Old 06-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Suzuka Master

I recently traded in my 99 TL-Navi for a 2003 TLS-Navi and feel the 99 had much better/deeper bass response than the 2003. I wonder if the speakers are the same.