A question for those w/ defective trannys

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
A question for those w/ defective trannys

Hello again,

Just an update... I held out until my tranny finally just wouldn't shift out of 2nd... took it in, no questions, dealer said they'd replace it.

For those of you who might have negotiated a deal w/ the dealership regarding an extended warranty (since the transmission will now be a point of worry) .. how did you negotiate, and how much $$$ did they take off the cost of the extended warranty? And, how long is your new extended warranty?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-13-2002, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer gave me no such deal. What incentive did he have or bargaining power did I have, the tranny was covered and paid for by Honda not the dealer. Good luck though.

As for being a weak point, every TL-S owner could claim that it is a weak point weather their tranny had gone or not.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:08 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: A question for those w/ defective trannys

Originally posted by PeterUbers
Hello again,

Just an update... I held out until my tranny finally just wouldn't shift out of 2nd... took it in, no questions, dealer said they'd replace it.

For those of you who might have negotiated a deal w/ the dealership regarding an extended warranty (since the transmission will now be a point of worry) .. how did you negotiate, and how much $$$ did they take off the cost of the extended warranty? And, how long is your new extended warranty?

Thanks in advance
Peter, search the Tranny threads for this info...many people shared there what they got in reference to an extended warranty. Some of us were not able to get anything...some got extensions plus a few other things thrown in. I was able to negotiate a reasonable buy-back by the dealer...so Acura as a company has not stepped up to recognize and respond to the issue as a whole, but rather they are leaving it up to the individual dealers to manage it. In fact, the Acura Rep I dealt with in my area was a real piece of work...a smart-a$$ $OB...so much so that the dealer even apologized for his behavior. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Guys -- thanks for the replies...

the service dept. got back w/ me today .. said that the transmission that they received from Acura to replace with mine ..
WAS DEFECTIVE AS WELL!! Wonderful... so now I'm back to another week waiting for it.

Are you guys comfortable w/ your replacement transmissions? Do you feel like it'll last longer than the first (maybe 'till 100K miles?)

Thanks again
Old 06-14-2002, 07:02 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Peter,

I asked for an extended warranty that was DISCOUNTED and they said NO. I did not want a free one.

All I got was a free 30K checkup. Others got their car payments made while they were without their cars.

My "new" tranny has been great, almost 15K miles on it!

Please add your VIN number to our post, and of course that increases the failure percentage of the original name/age/color post!

:-jon
Old 06-14-2002, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PeterUbers
Guys -- thanks for the replies...

the service dept. got back w/ me today .. said that the transmission that they received from Acura to replace with mine ..
WAS DEFECTIVE AS WELL!! Wonderful... so now I'm back to another week waiting for it.

No sh*t! Same thing happened to me today! After a couple days in a loaner TLS and a week in a rental Civic, the service dept told me today that they are ordering another tranny to replace the 'new' tranny they put on a week ago that was defective. So I'm back to loaner TLS.

Aren't we lucky!
Old 06-15-2002, 06:41 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW! This seems to be more common then I thought...my second tranny lasted just 400 miles...what are they doing sending defective replacement trannies? They REALLY need to get their sh$t together! If you got a loaner TLS, consider yourself lucky...I had to drive a Mercury Crapper for 3 weeks!
Old 06-15-2002, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe they are just circulating these defective trannies among dealers,

On the plus side, I get to experience 'pedal to the metal' in the loaner, which I've never done before in my own cars.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:35 PM
Safety Car

Hey guys,

Yup .. this is a pretty interesting situation. I tell ya.. if this new tranny is even remotely feeling funny, this car is gone.

You know the funny thing is that I was ready to plunk down $2500.00 in mods this summer on this car.. I was hoping to get the 1/4-mile down to 14.5 ro 14.6...

I'll add my VIN to the list as soon as I get the car back... maybe two weeks??

Pete