Question from Japan, about cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 10:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any 2002 SABER, INSPIRE, TL aftermarket parts already in Japan?

thanks
Old 01-17-2002, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by hooked2TL
Amfjabe wrote:

About the answer back, our TL comes with a factory alarm that will flash the flashers when you lock the car with the remote. I think it also does this when you unlock with remote. Is this what you mean?
That is it!
Another good equipment we miss on Saber
Old 01-17-2002, 11:39 PM
Safety Car

The sills they spoke of are metal strips that say Inspire and are placed along the bottom edge of where the door closes:

I have them and they are pretty cool! Gives more of a luxury look to the car, but they are pretty expesnive ($165 USD plus shipping from Japan to the US).

Prepare yourself for many requests for Japanese parts! We are a bit starved over here, although valuetl (Mike) can get us pretty much anything (thanks again for hooking me up Mike! ). I think I'll get the "I n s p i r e" lettering for my trunk next. BTW, have you seen my LED project?

What sort of things besides cruise control are you planning for the Saber?
Old 01-17-2002, 11:44 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by city001
[B]Hajime Ma****e, Amfjabe,
watashiwa city001 desu,
Dozo yoroshiku

Arigato gozaimasu (Thank you very much).
Kochirakoso yoroshiku onegai shimasu (Nice to meet you, too).
Old 01-17-2002, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/automo...e/sense01.html

I searched the link and found the inspire aluminum door sills. They look very nice. Is there a way to order them and get them sent over here to America?

Is it just me that think's it's funny that Honda/Acura puts some of the features in the Japanese-market cars and some of the features into the American-market cars, instead of making it an option for both markets since the R&D is already invested into the the accessories?
Old 01-17-2002, 11:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

hi, welcome to the board. about the cruise control question here's what i could find through the helms manual:

the cruise control unit receives command signals from the cruise control main switch and the cruise control set/resume/cancel switch. it receives information about operating conditions from the brake switch, ECM, vehicle speed sensor, or the A/T gear position switch. the cruise control unit sends operational signals to the devices that regulate the throttle position. the trottle position maintians the selected vehicle speed. essentially, the control unit compares the actual speed of the vehicle to the selected speed. then, the control unit uses the result that comparison to open or close the throttle.

the brake switch releases the control system's control of the throttle at the instant the driver depresses the brake pedal. the switch sends an electrical signal to the control unit when the brake pedal is depressed; the control unit responds by allowing the throttle to close. the A/T gear position switch sends a disengage signal input to the control unit that also allows the throttle to close.

what i see from the figures that are in the parts diagram is:

1. cruise control unit (behind the dash)
2. main switch (on the dash)
3. set/resume/cancel switch (on the steering wheel)
4. brake switch (connected to the brake pedal)
5. actuator (engine compartment)
6. A/T gear position swithc (engine)
7. Vehicle speed sensor
8. differential carrier

hope this helps a little
Old 01-18-2002, 02:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

man, this is the only member who actually takes the time to answer everyone's questions...you guys dont scare him off now...from amfjabe's response's, i would much rather have my TL than the inspire...we have options they dont, and they have options we dont...I think honda treated us more fairly...I still think they should have thrown in the camera on our spoilers though...A little footwell lighting anyone??? There is no way i could go w/o my sunroof tilt option, bah who uses cruise anyways...Shyne
Old 01-18-2002, 08:16 AM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Hi, welcome to the board. I didn't read through all the responses so I don't know if anyone has already said this. Even if you buy the kit from Acura, it will be hard for you to fit it because your accelerator is on the right hand side so the cabling will be different. Also, you might have to get the US throttle body too because that's where part of the cable hooks up to. Whatever you do, good luck.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the board! I hope we don't overwhelm you by asking so many questions about Japanese parts...

As far as your cruise control, I'm not sure that there are any US parts that would work since everything is reversed in the engine bay compared to our TL's. The cruise control actuator cable would be a totally different length, for one thing. I'm not sure the answer is very easy (or inexpensive).

Thanks for joining the board and please continue to visit as often as you can!
Old 01-18-2002, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

aftermarket cruise control

Hey here's an idea: if putting in a TL cruise control into your Inspire/Saber proves too difficult, can you just get the TL cruise control buttons and use them to operate a generic cruise control kit. A conversion kit should be easier to install and the interior of the car would look like it had the cruise control as a stock accessory.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Very good point bebber... heres a link to someone who did it for their Honda Insight.

http://www.portev.org/solectria/ho/incruise.htm
Old 01-18-2002, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: aftermarket cruise control

Originally posted by bebber
Hey here's an idea: if putting in a TL cruise control into your Inspire/Saber proves too difficult, can you just get the TL cruise control buttons and use them to operate a generic cruise control kit. A conversion kit should be easier to install and the interior of the car would look like it had the cruise control as a stock accessory.
Thats just what I wa sgoing to say. This would probably be the cheapest, and easiest way to put a CC system in your car. Good Luck!!
Old 01-19-2002, 12:24 AM
Jens

Hi gang ,Ok Bioyuki I got your PM on this and I sent a Pm to our friend in Japan .I will start researching this to see what is needed first chance I get on Monday.Jens
Old 01-19-2002, 01:02 PM
Racer

I hope I can answer your question amfjabe - The cars made in the Marysville plant are largely similar to the US spec models - yes, we all know that there is some different equipment available, but if you think about it, it's all mostly bolt-on's. The right-hand drive models, however, may quite possibly use a different ECU (I can no longer walk out to the line and check, or I'd tell you). If you want the cruise control, you may need to replace the ECU with a US spec model. Anyone more up to speed on the ECU/cruise want to help?
Old 01-19-2002, 01:15 PM
Jens

JDL I'm gonna get on this on Monday,if you work or worked at the plant perhaps you could find out if there are significant diffrences in the harnesses used for the engine and the dashboard assembly.Since all the cruise related stuff is located or wired to these harnesses it will be helpful to know that.Also does the JDM market car employ two speed airbags for the driver?The switches for the USA cruise equipped cars send signals through the same harness used for the Airbag.If the JDM car has two speed airbags it will simplify retrofitting cruise control gear.Jens
Old 01-19-2002, 01:28 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought the 2.5 L Saber would have a 5-cylinder engine like the old TL's.
Old 01-19-2002, 01:49 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Jens
JDL I'm gonna get on this on Monday,if you work or worked at the plant perhaps you could find out if there are significant diffrences in the harnesses used for the engine and the dashboard assembly.Since all the cruise related stuff is located or wired to these harnesses it will be helpful to know that.Also does the JDM market car employ two speed airbags for the driver?The switches for the USA cruise equipped cars send signals through the same harness used for the Airbag.If the JDM car has two speed airbags it will simplify retrofitting cruise control gear.Jens
I'll try, but no promises! It's been about 2.5 yrs since I worked at MAP, so there are only a few contacts left that would divuldge such info. As I recall, many of the wiring harnesses changed btwn right and left hand drive models - there are different run lengths to be made, so there was no point in including wiring for unavailable features if you're supplying a whole new harness.
Old 01-19-2002, 05:00 PM
Pro

JDL75,

Interesting that you used to work at the Marysville Honda plant. When you were there, would you have been able to get your hands on things like the electric folding mirrors, rear cams, etc, for your own TL? If those things were made there, how did Honda policies work toward their own employees getting access to these things for their own honda/acura cars?
Old 01-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Racer

How bad would you want to keep your job? :-) If you were caught stealing off of the line, you'd be fired in a heartbeat. That being said, it wouldn't be hard to get the stuff (like folding mirrors)off the floor. If you want to be honest, you can go to the part center and buy just about anything for a US spec Honda/ Acura that you can get at a dealer, and get it cheaper than you could anywhere else - we were able to get things for about the same price as American Honda (Honda Of America Manufacturing and American Honda are two seperate companies with the same parent company). Engine parts could be a little tougher- the engines built in Ohio are built in Anna (btw, the trannies come from Japan!).
Old 01-19-2002, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jdl75
How bad would you want to keep your job?
I don't think he was implying to steal anything. I think he was just curious that with your "inside" connections you (and others who worked there) could buy parts designated for export (like the folding mirrors) and retrofit them to your own cars. Obviously, the rest of us average Joes can't get our hands on the mirrors anywhere in the states no matter how much we wanted to pay.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:05 PM
Racer

Originally posted by pianoman41

I don't think he was implying to steal anything. I think he was just curious that with your "inside" connections you (and others who worked there) could buy parts designated for export (like the folding mirrors) and retrofit them to your own cars. Obviously, the rest of us average Joes can't get our hands on the mirrors anywhere in the states no matter how much we wanted to pay.
I didn't really think he wanted me te steal anything - it's just that it's about the only way to get non-US spec parts, unfortunately. Honda is very strict about these things. The parts center wouldn't have non-US spec parts. However, Us spec stuff is very reasonable!
Old 01-20-2002, 04:48 AM
Instructor

Hi, I will try to answer questions again.

[bioyuki]
Q: Remember, in Japan taxes on a car are a *****. The MSRP might be low but after taxes I'm sure the price is probably similar to what we get in the US. Oh yeah, gas is pretty ****ing expensive there too. Then again its expensive everywhere but the US.

A: That is right. I have paid US$3,270 as some kinds of taxes in addition to the price of the car itself. And the gas price here is US$0.83/litter for Premium.

Q: If you wanted something fun to drive you should have gotten an Evo VII

A: Right. But my family will complain about the comfort. And also as your signature say, Skyline GTR is another choice so Subaru Impreza WRX or Legacy B4 RSK.

[hooked2TL]
Q: I hope you visit us here often to lend your valuable input from the home of Honda. BTW, why not send us a bunch of door sills for some $$$???

A: Well, I will visit the dealer as soon as possible and try to find out a way to get our accessories to USA. Will let you know the situation of the trial.

[city001]
Q: Can u get us some images of japanese saber/inspire owners if possible and also info and more images..like magazines?

A: Will also try to find out a owner's club of Inspire/Saber here.

Q: Can u tell us what's the aftermarket like in Japan for inspire/saber if u know or have access to info like that.

A: Inspire/Saber is not a major model in this country. Only less than 500 are sold here. Then aftermarket for this model is not big. Accessories provided by HONDA Japan is the best one. Answer back system I have purchased is not only for Inspire/Saber, this is general part for mostly all models.
But I will search good parts for my Saber and once I could find good one, I will let you know.

Q: Is there any 2002 SABER, INSPIRE, TL aftermarket parts already in Japan?

A: HONDA did facelift for Inspire/Saber in April, 2001. The model is 2002 model that has bigger front grill. All of genuine accessories provided by HONDA Japan are now ready for the model.

[Nate]
Q: Prepare yourself for many requests for Japanese parts! We are a bit starved over here, although valuetl (Mike) can get us pretty much anything (thanks again for hooking me up Mike! ). I think I'll get the "I n s p i r e" lettering for my trunk next. BTW, have you seen my LED project?
[bebber]
Q: I searched the link and found the inspire aluminum door sills. They look very nice. Is there a way to order them and get them sent over here to America?

A: I will contact the dealer and try to find out what I can do for you TL owners in USA on this issue!

Q: What sort of things besides cruise control are you planning for the Saber?

A: At present, I will drive it as vanilla, complete standard. I will look for favorite parts for my Saber gradually. If possible, I want to add parts imported from USA.

[unx979]
Q: hi, welcome to the board. about the cruise control question here's what i could find through the helms manual

A: Thank you for the information. Yes, it looks like pretty complicated to install......

[AcuraTL]
Q: Even if you buy the kit from Acura, it will be hard for you to fit it because your accelerator is on the right hand side so the cabling will be different. Also, you might have to get the US throttle body too because that's where part of the cable hooks up to.
[RAdams]
Q: I'm not sure that there are any US parts that would work since everything is reversed in the engine bay compared to our TL's. The cruise control actuator cable would be a totally different length,

A: I see. That should be the point. Now I feel that genuine cruise control unit cannot be installed to my Saber.

[bebber]
Q: can you just get the TL cruise control buttons and use them to operate a generic cruise control kit. A conversion kit should be easier to install and the interior of the car would look like it had the cruise control as a stock accessory.
[Nate]
Q: Very good point bebber... heres a link to someone who did it for their Honda Insight.
http://www.portev.org/solectria/ho/incruise.htm

A: Thank you for the advise. I have raised an inquiry to Rostra Precision Controls asking if their generic cruise control kit can fit to my Saber. Waiting for their reply.

[jdl75]
Q: If you want the cruise control, you may need to replace the ECU with a US spec model.

A: That sounds difficult, because my model has J25A that is not available in USA??

[Jens]
Q: Also does the JDM market car employ two speed airbags for the driver?The switches for the USA cruise equipped cars send signals through the same harness used for the Airbag.If the JDM car has two speed airbags it will simplify retrofitting cruise control gear.Jens

A: If you are talking about an airbag with dual inflator, yes Saber does have it.

[fahoumh]
Q: I thought the 2.5 L Saber would have a 5-cylinder engine like the old TL's.

A: HONDA introduced first Inspire in 1989 in Japan with 2.0L inline 5 cylinder engine.
And then the size of the engine became 2.5L inline 5 in 1992.
Then in 1995 HONDA did full model change and the engines were 2.5L inline 5 and 3.2L V6.
In 1998, current model has been released. That is the first Inspire made in USA.

For information, I said that my current car is 1993 Accord. But Actually it is not Accord but Ascot Innova that is only for Japan. Ascot Innova has completely same platform of Accord and only body and interior design are different. I liked the car very much.

Old 01-20-2002, 06:04 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by amfjabe
[B][fahoumh]

A: HONDA introduced first Inspire in 1989 in Japan with 2.0L inline 5 cylinder engine.
Then in 1995 HONDA did full model change and the engines were 2.5L inline 5 and 3.2L V6.
In 1998, current model has been released. That is the first Inspire made in USA.

For information, I said that my current car is 1993 Accord. But Actually it is not Accord but Ascot Innova that is only for Japan. Ascot Innova has completely same platform of Accord and only body and interior design are different. I liked the car very much.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:09 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by amfjabe
[B]
Originally posted by amfjabe
[fahoumh]

Sorry I had a problem to attach images.
I will try again.

Old 01-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Advanced

ohayoo gozaimasu amfjabesan. watashi no namae wa zach desu. hehe, and my japanese teacher wants to fail me . but, anyway, i am very interested in power folding mirrors. so please stick around till spring, because if you can get them for me, ill prolly order them. i just gotta wait till april or may when it is warmer out.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by AcuraAddict
ohayoo gozaimasu amfjabesan. watashi no namae wa zach desu. hehe, and my japanese teacher wants to fail me . but, anyway, i am very interested in power folding mirrors. so please stick around till spring, because if you can get them for me, ill prolly order them. i just gotta wait till april or may when it is warmer out.
Zach-san, Ohayou Gozaimasu (Good morning, Zach!)
Well, it is another interesting thing that power folding mirror is not available in USA. In this country even cheapest Toyota Corolla does have that.
Because we need to fold the mirrors mostly always when we park in a public parking place as the size of the parking space for one car is very small and sometimes we need to fold the mirrors to pass through a narrow street.
Japan is such a small country with extremely high price of land.

Once I could get my Saber this week, I will take a picture of the swith for the power folding mirrors. I am sure that it is installed on a right arm rest.
You can see if the switch can be installed on your left arm rest. And then I will ask the dealer if there is a kit.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:26 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Just wanna say welcome to our new member from Japan...

Maybe I should start listening to some Japanese or German CDs as those are the two countries that I will likely to go to in the future.

Thanks so much for answering so many of our questions, I have learned a lot in this thread.

If you can, can you please take a pic of the engine bay of your car. I would like to see how everything is placed...

once again, welcome and hope that you will stick around...
Old 01-21-2002, 06:54 AM
Racer

Amfjabe sann Konn-nichiwa. TL forum eh yohkoso. Watakushi mo Nihonnjinn desu. Romaji de futsu wa kakainai nodeh yominikukuteh sumimasenn. Amfjabe sann no Eigo wa subarashii desu. Dewa, Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu.

For all those who don't understand Japanese, I just introduced myself with some pleasantries.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:41 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SL1200MK4
If you can, can you please take a pic of the engine bay of your car. I would like to see how everything is placed...
once again, welcome and hope that you will stick around...
Yes, I am sure I will do that!
Today I got a phone call of my dealer. I am getting my Saber on 25th
Old 01-21-2002, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by mawaru
For all those who don't understand Japanese, I just introduced myself with some pleasantries.
mawaru-san,

Thank you for the message.
Glad to know that there is another Japanese in this forum.
Through this forum, I could know that so many TL fans are in USA.
If American TL owners and Japanese Inspire/Saber owners can exchange parts as well as information, that will be great!
Old 01-21-2002, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by amfjabe

Yes, I am sure I will do that!
Today I got a phone call of my dealer. I am getting my Saber on 25th
congrats... actually Jan. 25th is my Bday by the way
Old 01-22-2002, 12:56 AM
Pro

AMFJABE,

As you see, we're all very interested in the Japanese Saber/Inspire cars, and cars in Japan in general. BTW, you know all TL/saber/inspire are made in US. In your opinion, do you think the lack of more success of these cars in Japan is because of this? Are they perceived to be "not as good" as it's made in US? Also, what is general impression of American cars in Japan?

Would be interesting to hear it from you, brother!
Old 01-22-2002, 07:51 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by hooked2TL
AMFJABE,

As you see, we're all very interested in the Japanese Saber/Inspire cars, and cars in Japan in general. BTW, you know all TL/saber/inspire are made in US. In your opinion, do you think the lack of more success of these cars in Japan is because of this? Are they perceived to be "not as good" as it's made in US? Also, what is general impression of American cars in Japan?
Would be interesting to hear it from you, brother!
I will try to give my opinion.

Well, It is my opinion that "made in USA" is not a reason of unsuccessful sales of Saber/Inspire.

At first, 1991 -1996 Accord Wagon is very successful in Japan and that is made in the USA.
Secondly, I believe that the quality of American made Japanese automobiles is excellent. JD Power and Associates consumer report says that Lexus and Acura has good score. The cars that have good score will include American made Lexus and Acura.

Therefore that reason of poor sales of Saber/Inspire will be marketing issue.
In the magazines Saber/Inspire has a good review in Japan about the quality, performance and design. I agree with that.
But generally, Japanese people like Toyota Crown (US$35,000+, 7.000 sales /month) or MarkII (US$23,000+, 5,000 sales/month) as their choice of sedan.
I am afraid that not so many people in Japan know the existence of Saber/Inspire.

Honestly, the sales of pure American made car is not so good here in Japan.
It is my opinion that basically American medium and big cars are great and comfortable.
The engine is big and powerful enough such as 2000RPM/60MPH and the comfort is also great.
But the size of this kind of cars are pretty big for this small country and the market is small.
This segment is Cadillac, Grand Cherokee, Town&Country etc.
There are fans for these American cars but competitors are Lexus LS, GS, Infinity Q, BMW 7, Mercedes E and S.

When I talk about the smaller American cars such as Focus, Mondeo, GrandAm etc. it is a very tough segment in Japan to compete with.
There are many models made by Japanese car manufacturers and also German, French and Italian cars are in this segment.

Traditionally, German cars are very popular in Japan as imported cars.
Now VW is No.1 and Mercedes and BMW is No.2.
The reliability of the cars are not good as Japanese made cars and the prices are really high, but still many Japanese people like German cars.
Mercedes C200 is US$30,000 that is more expensive than TL Type-S.
We should notice that VOLVO is going well here even though their V70 costs US$40,000 here.
Their marketing was great as they have succeeded to make Japanese people have a strong impression that VOLVO cars are safest car in the world.

As a conclusion, I think that Japanese market is driven by Japanese mar manufacturers and European imported cars.
And the reason the their success are mostly marketing issue (Although I agree with that driving BMW is pretty exciting experience).
It was very impressive that Germans invested huge money for marketing and services in these 10 years.

This is only my opinion and it may not be correct.
Please understand that I like American made products as I like the spirit of USA.

Old 03-26-2002, 11:37 PM
Cruisin'

Heya!

I just wanted to say HI! and welcome. I don't post much but I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to answer many of our questions. I have always wanted to visit Japan and I hope to soon.

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions and please don't leave us...you are an invaluable member of our board and will answer many of our questions about Japan and their car market. I have been going through each post that you have made and its great information some of which I've always wanted to know. I hope you enjoy your honda inspire and let us all know how you like it.

Thanks again,

Jose
Miami, Florida
USA

PS:
I purchased my brand new 2003 Acura 3.2TL-S (Silver) about three days ago after being on this board for over three or so months.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:12 AM
Instructor

Re: Heya!

I just wanted to say HI! and welcome. I don't post much but I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to answer many of our questions. I have always wanted to visit Japan and I hope to soon.
Please let me know once you have decided to come to this very small, busy, crowded but beautiful country.

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions and please don't leave us...you are an invaluable member of our board and will answer many of our questions about Japan and their car market. I have been going through each post that you have made and its great information some of which I've always wanted to know. I hope you enjoy your honda inspire and let us all know how you like it.
It is more than happy to know that my information is what you are interested in. Please feel free to let me know what you want to know about anything in this country. I will make all of my effort to find the information for my friends in the USA.
Well I enjoy driving my Saber now. Now I do believe that even 2.5L engine this vehicle need to have a kind of traction control on a wet highway.
Other than that this is a great car!

Masatoshi Abe/Japan

PS:
I purchased my brand new 2003 Acura 3.2TL-S (Silver) about three days ago after being on this board for over three or so months. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 01-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
amfjabe: are you still around?! someone scared him off
Old 01-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Member from Japan
Old 01-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, i think he was the ONLY member from japan. sorry to bring back a dead thread but was curious about the guy. we need to swap parts for us jdm enthusiasts hehe
Old 01-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Advanced

How much is saber in japan?
Old 01-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TLBaller
amfjabe: are you still around?! someone scared him off
TLBaller,

Yes, I am still in the forum.

Now I am trying to find out if Gentex NVS Autodimming Mirror fits my Saber.
I have though to ask this question to this forum, but I think that your TL has the mirror as a standard part.

I am visiting Richmond Va. during Jan. 20 - Jan. 24.
While it is a business trip, I am happy to visit the birth country of my Saber.

Well my Saber is more than 40,000 miles in two years and still in a good condition.
I change engine oil every 3,000 miles and transmission oil every 12,000 mile.
I have replaced break pads at 30,000 miles, tires at the same time, air cleaner element and air clean filter of air conditioning every year, and battery this month.

Thank you again for speaking to me and I will say that I always enjoy this forum.

Quick Reply: Question from Japan, about cruise control