Question about our Navi

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 06:57 PM

Question Question about our Navi

I had my windows tinted yesterday. There is nothing in the manual (that I could find) that says you should not tint the windows.

I did not get metallic tint, but here's my question...

When you drive through an intersection, should the screen always show your car positioned directly over the intersection? It seems like my system may be lagging a little bit from the tint, and my car passes through intersections a few seconds before the system seems to pass me through it.

Also, occasionally today the system would get momentarily confused about whether or not I was exiting the freeways. For example, I would exit and the system would still show me in the slow lane for a few seconds, then jump to the surface street.

Also, I'm noticing that when I go around corners, the Navi may not be right there with me, so the screen will sort of shift my car onto the new street, and the screen shifts over accordingly. It seems a little jumpy. The tint guy does all the work for Galpin Ford and Galpin Jaguar, so I trust him to some degree. He is suggesting we give it a few days for the moisture in the tint to dry completely, and if its still acting weird, he'll remove it.

He used metallic tint in the side windows, but that should not be a problem right???

If you have any information you can share, please do!
Old 07-24-2001, 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That's interesting. I was traveling inside the Ted Williams Tunnel (under sea) in Boston another day. As I was approaching the exit, the red arrow suddenly veered to the right away from the tunnel (as if I'm traveling on open-water). After I reached the surface road, the map recalculated my position and the red arrow was back onto a street. That was very weird.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:40 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question about our Navi

Originally posted by Silver Ess-Type
I had my windows tinted yesterday. There is nothing in the manual (that I could find) that says you should not tint the windows.

I did not get metallic tint, but here's my question...

When you drive through an intersection, should the screen always show your car positioned directly over the intersection? It seems like my system may be lagging a little bit from the tint, and my car passes through intersections a few seconds before the system seems to pass me through it.
Nah, that's not because of the tint. The GPS location is very coarse (to the order of 100 ft of error), so the Navi relies more on its yaw rate gyro and speed sensor for immediate positioning information, and uses GPS to calibrate its position over time.

It's normal for the car's position to lag or lead a little when you've been driving a long distance without making sharp turns.