Protect the TL.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:38 AM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Protect the TL.

How do you guys go about security here. Its been mentioned in some other threads but i figured with the way our world is; securing your vehicle is very important and most people here have nothing beyond the factory system.

And about the factory system; does anyone know what all it entails? I have not been able to find much detailed information about it at all.

For those of you w/aftermarket alarms; do you have it set up so you don't need the factory key fob? can aftermarket alarms pop your trunk too?

thanks for any and all replies.
and if you don't feel comfortable sharing your car security information feel free to pm me and i can post it for you.

p.s. my last car was stolen and that was with a top of the line alarm installed so i really want some good protection for my tl. lots of layers.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i can break your window and the alarm will not go off... alarm wont go off unless i unlock the doors, trunk and or hood. but once i break your window, im in..
Old 12-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i would get an alarm with at least a 1 mile radius and a remote that allows you to check your cars status.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 PM
hates the winter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm done worrying. I went nuts with security on my Integra and it's not enjoyable to have to worry about a car so much. If they take it they take it, if they strip it they strip it. I have insurance. If I get a Double din then I'll get a pager alarm with a motion sensor, thats about it. Luckily nobody bothers my TL.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:13 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
there phee that was too funny. yea i just lock my car and remove the face plate off my head unit and hope for the best. try to park away from everyone. just go to an alarm shop and ask for the best if you want good protection. our stock system is not any different than any other cars.

but the best and cheapest thing to do is just get the little sticker on the window that says ur car is protected by "so and so's" alarm system.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
I'm done worrying. I went nuts with security on my Integra and it's not enjoyable to have to worry about a car so much. If they take it they take it, if they strip it they strip it. I have insurance. If I get a Double din then I'll get a pager alarm with a motion sensor, thats about it. Luckily nobody bothers my TL.
Exactly if they take your car you get a new one. I have Gap so i wont have to pay a dime if someone takes my car. Even if you had the top of the line alarm if they want your car or something out of it there going to do it no matter what you have.

What alarm they need to make is if someone hits your car and then to top it off!
Old 12-28-2008, 01:08 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I remember seeing an alarm that shot some flames out...

Couldn't find it now but maybe you could rig this Autoloc Flame Thrower up some way...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/car/sema-...wer-212339.php

Fucking set their shit on fire...last time they will fuck with you for sure.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:08 PM

Here is another one that someone set up to spray Mace.

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/MACE_..._20Car_20Alarm

That sounds good too.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
how is this for an alarm lol looks very gay :gheylaugh ..like something from star trek

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8275594...42728/sizes/o/
Old 12-28-2008, 01:31 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
get an alarm with a pager, then buy a bat, thick pipe, or gun for those "just in case" situations
Old 12-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Get good Insurance!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:03 PM
spaz

well i have full insurance but as any real enthusiast would say; i'd rather have my baby then a check for what the car's worth minus by mods, blood, sweat, and tears.
and yes i know you can insure the mods too.

for those of you w/aftermarket alarms; did the alarm remote replace your factory remote and if so; what about memory seats and stuff like that?

i would only get an aftermarket alarm if it replaced the factory remote, still had a trunk popper, had window sensors, tilt sensors, and was of course 2 way with about a mile range.

and i know a lot of people believe in using violence to stop a thief but thats something i just can't do plus the guy could have a gun and losing your life over your car is retarded. and for those who would then say i should have a gun; there is no way i'd ever use it. i'm fairly anti gun.
thanks for the advice though.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:16 PM

full coverage, and a gun.

there is no way to protect your car, if they want it bad enough, they will take it.

its nothing to lose sleep over, just hope your not unlucky.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:02 PM
03' NBP TL-S

tegkid did you have an integra before? well that's an entirely different story because those are commonly stolen..

i don't think you should worry too much because TL's are fairly low on the radar.. what would they steal? our HIDs?
Old 12-28-2008, 03:07 PM

that is also true, integra's and civic's are stolen because every single part of those cars can be stripped and re-sold...there is a huge market for them.

not so much for the 2G TL...there are only so many things that can be done to them, and the market is not very big.

they are almost not worth a thieves time...even though thieves do steal anything they like. so 2G tl's are not 100% safe, but they are no integra or civic when it comes to theft.

stop being so paranoid, and just make sure you save all your reciept's and that you have full coverage.

take pictures of those parts installed on your car as well, that helps when claiming those item's on your insurance.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:09 PM
spaz

Originally Posted by Leo Type-S
tegkid did you have an integra before? well that's an entirely different story because those are commonly stolen..

i don't think you should worry too much because TL's are fairly low on the radar.. what would they steal? our HIDs?
yeh i know that my old integra was the #1 stolen car ever but if something happens to my tl after my teg got stolen and completely stripped i don't know what i would do with myself. i know i would have to get out of the import scene and thats something i really don't want to have to do.

i guess i'll just get a nice compustar and hope for the best...

and grip: i realize i'm probably being paranoid but its hard to get past the feeling of your car getting stolen.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Decent aftermarket alarm system + front and rear shock sensors + common knowledge of where to and not to park is the best protection.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Yup take pics of all your stuff you install thats what i need to do.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

best way to protect your car is a low deducatable and full coverage.

no system will stop one who really wants to cause trouble
Old 12-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 05TL*6-SPEED*
how is this for an alarm lol looks very gay :gheylaugh ..like something from star trek

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8275594...42728/sizes/o/
LOL...
Old 12-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by tegkid

and grip: i realize i'm probably being paranoid but its hard to get past the feeling of your car getting stolen.
its not that hard, i had my green EG stolen from me dec 2006...it was stripped to the bare chassis overnight, the police found the chassis on steelies, and 2x4's used as shocks so it would roll behind a walgreen's.

i had pic's and reciepts of every single part of that car, and since i had full coverage i was given a check of $9,300 to purchase a new car. even if i was to sell the car before it was stolen, i could have probably gotten $6000 for it, so i got lucky because i had reciept's, and pic's.

i was sad about that car for a little while, but overall...im glad it was stolen and stripped....id rather that happen, than me sell it and know that a car i built is running around out there with some idiot claiming my work as his.

i do miss it from time to time, but i enjoy my Impreza, TL, and my motorcycle ...so it all works out.

im glad i have the TL because i can still do things to it to make it mine(nothing crazy), and i dont have to worry about where i park it, or leaving it on the street overnight. its just a daily driver, if i need to go fast in a car i have the Impreza, and if i want to go faster than the impreza, i have the bike.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i like the pager setup with a glock 40 also for those..just in case moments
Old 12-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

i have an aftermarket alarm w/pager and it has a motion sensor on it....if u pull on my door handle it gives off a warning siren and the horn beeps 3 times....when it goes off it has a piercing sound along with the horn...
Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
i can break your window and the alarm will not go off... alarm wont go off unless i unlock the doors, trunk and or hood. but once i break your window, im in..
some alarms use infrared beams that sweep past the windows, so if you bust a window BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE RRER WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW EEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEERR EEEEEEEEEEEEEER EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER WWWWWWWWWWWWWUP WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWUP WWWWWWWWWWWUP

sounds like that reads
Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 PM
03' NBP TL-S

i've never had a car stolen but I can see how devastating and disheartening it would be.

just get an alarm system and make a habit of parking by lights, and never leave your car in parking lots or areas that are more prone to burglary..
Old 12-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
best thing to do is make sure that thieves aren't attracted to your car. that means no flashy exterior mods, no loud exhausts and speakers. Be subtle.

if they still do try and take your car, get an alarm system. My friend does archery with a guy who has $15k worth of audio equipment in his Tempo. He got a Smiley alarm system, which apparently works great. if you're going to get an aftermarket alarm, get something that LOUD, and bright. The more attention the alarm gets the faster the thief runs.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Drifting

I have a Viper 5900 and sensitivity set to the max. Plus the blinking blue light every 1-2 seconds will keep thieves away.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
not the best security out their. but get some dark tints that way no one can see what u got inside your car. yes, your taking a risk with the law but their are ways around that. ive came out to my car on few occasions with palm prints and a forehead impression on my drivers side front and rear windows. i then did the same scenario to see if i can see inside and all i see is BLACK.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
where there's a will, there's a way.

Friend had lojack on his rsx and still got it stolen.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajca
not the best security out their. but get some dark tints that way no one can see what u got inside your car. yes, your taking a risk with the law but their are ways around that. ive came out to my car on few occasions with palm prints and a forehead impression on my drivers side front and rear windows. i then did the same scenario to see if i can see inside and all i see is BLACK.
I don't know about that. Black tints usually mean that you've got something valuable to hide inside of your car, which gives thieves more of a reason to break in, not as if that fact that you're driving a modified Acura wasn't reason enough. My advice: No tints, and make sure anything of value is out of sight. And a really loud alarm.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
garage it and never drive it lol...but really, no lol
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Advanced

pager alarm hooked up to the horn is a plus but most importantly if you want a remote start do not put a spare key in your car. I have my alarm hooked up for remote start but will onlystart if i stick the key in there for the immoblizer to read once the car is started i pull my key out and lock my car. trust me when your alarm goes off and it is hooked up to the horn you will wake up the nieghborhood
Old 01-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Agentphan007
pager alarm hooked up to the horn is a plus but most importantly if you want a remote start do not put a spare key in your car. I have my alarm hooked up for remote start but will onlystart if i stick the key in there for the immoblizer to read once the car is started i pull my key out and lock my car. trust me when your alarm goes off and it is hooked up to the horn you will wake up the nieghborhood
Do you just tell the installer that you want it done like that? Because I know they where saying that I have to give my spare key up so it can start
Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rajca
get an alarm with a pager, then buy a bat, thick pipe, or gun for those "just in case" situations
lol my bat is actually in my trunk, if a cop pulls me over ill just say i rolled my fenders...

got a 2way pager compustar pro P2W9000FMR, i wanted to get a piezo siren and a battery backup soon..

most installed, will setup the trunk to work with the aftermarket alarm, some will charge some wont, but it can be done.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Can we not carry bats in our cars because I carry my trusted Louisville slugger!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The previous owner of my TL installed an Compustar 9000 alarm/starter combo, which at the time was their absolute top. I have to say I love it. I have a slick 2 way remote in black with chrome accents, pops my doors, trunk, starts the car, and tons of other options. I have no use for the factory key fobs anymore; however, I am terrified of losing my keys for I do not have the basic 1 way remote that comes with my system. I've also wanted to buy another two way remote because it feels like I'm not getting the range I should and maybe it has something to do with my current remote.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheMegalodon
The previous owner of my TL installed an Compustar 9000 alarm/starter combo, which at the time was their absolute top. I have to say I love it. I have a slick 2 way remote in black with chrome accents, pops my doors, trunk, starts the car, and tons of other options. I have no use for the factory key fobs anymore; however, I am terrified of losing my keys for I do not have the basic 1 way remote that comes with my system. I've also wanted to buy another two way remote because it feels like I'm not getting the range I should and maybe it has something to do with my current remote.
u have to be on the same plane, lets say u park underground and on the main floor, u wont get the best range, to get the best, same plane and nothing in the way, like a very large building.

and yea if i were u get the 1 way remote or another 2 way incase u lose this one, cause even if u unlock with the stock remote it will set off the compustar one.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
aftermarket alarm plus train horns ftw!

and yes i can use it to open the trunk
Old 01-06-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MurdaZ
u have to be on the same plane, lets say u park underground and on the main floor, u wont get the best range, to get the best, same plane and nothing in the way, like a very large building.

and yea if i were u get the 1 way remote or another 2 way incase u lose this one, cause even if u unlock with the stock remote it will set off the compustar one.
Thanks Murda. Believe me I've already found out that my alarm will go ballistic if it's not disarmed with the compustar remote. A couple months ago my keys fell out on the bus to my university and I nearly had a heart attack. By some act of God my keys were actually brought to the transit center lost and found. It was one of the most relieving feelings I've had recently.

I really need to get on picking up another remote, I've been meaning to ever since I almost lost my keys.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheMegalodon
Thanks Murda. Believe me I've already found out that my alarm will go ballistic if it's not disarmed with the compustar remote. A couple months ago my keys fell out on the bus to my university and I nearly had a heart attack. By some act of God my keys were actually brought to the transit center lost and found. It was one of the most relieving feelings I've had recently.

I really need to get on picking up another remote, I've been meaning to ever since I almost lost my keys.
check ebay, u can always program it urself, most local dealers wil charge 100 for the lcd and close to 50 for the 1 way..

Quick Reply: Protect the TL.