Problems with 2003s??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 08:35 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problems with 2003s??

Hey all,
I'm a long time Integra owner who (due to having children, growing family) is needing to "upgrade" to a larger car... thus we're looking at a TL...

Are there any major problems with the 2003?? (I've read all of the mess about Trannys and wondered if it was a problem on the 03 as well) Granted, my wife will be doing most of the driving, so it's not exactly going to be hitting the race track, but I don't want to buy a car with lots of problems. Help??

Also, is it worth waiting for the 04??

Scott
Old 08-02-2002, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

long reply

I had a '94 Integra LS Auto Coupe...
Similiar situation as yours (picked up a '03 TL-P in March)

I've had no problems, except.

1) I do have that sunroof shade rattle everyone talks about. No big deal since I keep it closed (except when I have the roof open), because in the summer too much heat gets in and in the winter too much cold gets in.
2) It's way bigger than the Integra...It'll take a while to get used to the size of the car. It handles pretty good, but It's no Integra.
3) Gas mileage is pretty good, within a couple of gallons of my old car. I average 20-21 mixed (heavy stop and go), 26-29 mixed (mostly highway).
4) I think the Integra's fit and finish on the inside might be a little bit better (things might be a little tighter).
5) The seats don't hold you like the Integra's but they are less hard. My friend who has a passat with leather likes our seats (I like his instrument panel better).
6) Seats don't fold down (not a big deal), Trunk is useless compared to the Integra's (YOU SHOULD SEE WHAT I COULD STICK IN THERE!). Keep the Integra if you can.
6) Little things make the exerience: auto dim mirror, auto light off, auto climate, 6 CD indash (get rid of the tape player please). Passenger mirror auto tilts on reverse, NO external attenna (SP). Extra room... OH YES....Headlights AWESOME (fog lights are a nice touch adds wider viewing area)
7) Most annoying. No handbrake, I'm not a fan of the E-Brake (at least it should have been auto-release).
8) Car is affordable compared to the others.

I looked at Volvo S60 (loud, not enough power), Lexus ES300 (before the new style...much more $. I like the new design though), BMW 3 (TOO small...more $), Passat 6 (wife turned that down ), Mercedes C Series (small...very loud transmission/turbo whine). Audi (too small )
Old 08-02-2002, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Exactly what RedIntegra said except I bought my TL-P in May. No sunroof problems, but something in the back or trunk is making noises. The rear passenger window rattles as well as the driver's side door frame. My driver side seat makes a clicking noise when I step on the brakes sometimes. Other than these minor stuff which I will have the dealer fix when I have time, the car is great. I drive it everyday for work (50-100 miles per day). Car gets great compliments and everyone thinks it cost $40k for some reason. One thing I would like Acura to have is a MUTE button on the steering wheel for the deck.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts
Gee I had the same situation. 1990 Integra GS to 2003 TL-S. Though I survived 8 years with a single child and the Integra. I have had no problems with my TL-S. I am at 3500 miles and no squeaks or rattles at all. I think there are examples on this board of tranny failures in 2003's but overall the percentage is low (<2% I believe, correct me if I am wrong here someone).

The TL has much more room, I would like to have the rear seat fold down but not at the cost of body stiffness. All the other features are real nice also. It does not corner like my Integra did and never will, but I can live with that.

Overall I am very happen with the car and would do it again.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by kcroberge

The TL has much more room, I would like to have the rear seat fold down but not at the cost of body stiffness. All the other features are real nice also. It does not corner like my Integra did and never will, but I can live with that.

Overall I am very happen with the car and would do it again.
The TL has a longer wheel base and I thought it suppose to corner better, oh wells. I think if you upgrade your suspension, it will corner like dream
Old 08-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Scott,

I have a 99 Integra GS-R and just bought a 2003 3.2 TL for the same reasons you're looking for one.

The TL is a great car! I haven't had *any* fit/finish or transmission problems yet (I've only had the TL for a few weeks now). However, the brakes really suck compared to my GS-R. I almost wrecked my TL the first day driving it home because I wasn't used to the increased stopping distance. Brakes will be my first performance/handling mod!

Nobody knows about the 2004 yet. According to auto consumerguide:

Based on past experience, the early release of the little-changed 2003 models suggests Acura is speeding ahead with a redesign, though industry sources are divided on what that will involve and when we'll see it. One scenario has the TL continuing as an upscale version of the newly redesigned 2003 Honda Accord. The other plan would be to make it a smaller version of Acura's new-generation RL flagship sedan. We'll know the verdict soon enough, perhaps as early as model-year 2004.