Power steering mystery!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Power steering mystery!!

Hey guys,

Im having this really really strange issue all of the sudden my power steering has developed a distint whine while turning and a griding/whine at idle. First thing i checked was the ps fluid. The ps fluid was full with bubbles filled up to the brim of the reservoir. When turning the engine off the bubbly ps fluid will just ooze out of the resevoir. I waited until all of the bubbles dissapeared and topped off with honda ps fluid and started the car, noise was gone did 4 complete left right turns and now the noise is back again. Ive been driving like this for the past week with no issues with the steering wheel gettting hard to turn or anything like that. There is no loss of fluid. I know air is getting into the system but before i replace the pump, i would like to know if i should be looking elsewhere as that may be te real problem because the pump it self was quiet when there was no air in the system and ive never had any issues with a stiff or hard to turn steering wheel. My mechanic said most prob it would be the ps pump or high pressure hose, how can i verify that?

2003 TL-S 160k original ps pump on it
Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I would try replacing the little o-ring (#23) on the hp line that goes to the top of the ps pump. The other thing you can do is buy the 3-4 little o rings for the pump and rebuild the pump yourself (very easy to do) and see if that fixes it. Also, look at the lines that attach to the ps rack and see if you can see any leaking

Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If getting bubbles, wouldn't that mean there's a leak (air coming in?) only on the "suction" side of the pump?
Narrows it down to a portion of the diagram?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by mike_engr
If getting bubbles, wouldn't that mean there's a leak (air coming in?) only on the "suction" side of the pump?
Narrows it down to a portion of the diagram?
Others have had issues with the small little o ring on top causing it. Other times its in the pump. Typically if its on the suction side (between the pump and the res) you will get leaking in that area, especially when the car is off. Either way everything should be inspected for any signs of leaking.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Alright guys thanks alot, will try the o ring and see how that works out.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
99% positive it's the o-ring on the suction side. You won't see a drip of fluid escape, but you will suck in air. It will make horrible sounding noises and your fluid will get frothy and foam out of the reservoir. This usually rears its ugly head in the cold months since the o-ring gets brittle with age and contracts; this is a well known issue - the replacement o-ring is made out of a more durable material than the original as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SOrry to highjack your thread But I am having a similar problem

2 weeks ago I took my car to HONDA for a timing belt job. WHen they gave my car back I felt a hissing sound when turning the wheel. I took the car to them today and they told me that my power steering pump is old and is going to fail soon and that I need to replace it. So I asked why before the timing belt job It had no sound and now it does. They had no answer only to replace the power pump since car has 140 k.

So this not sit out well on me and decided to come here and read forum or ask for any ideas?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PiFive
SOrry to highjack your thread But I am having a similar problem

2 weeks ago I took my car to HONDA for a timing belt job. WHen they gave my car back I felt a hissing sound when turning the wheel. I took the car to them today and they told me that my power steering pump is old and is going to fail soon and that I need to replace it. So I asked why before the timing belt job It had no sound and now it does. They had no answer only to replace the power pump since car has 140 k.

So this not sit out well on me and decided to come here and read forum or ask for any ideas?
LOL, I had the EXACT experience. Took the car in for a timing belt and walked out with a horrible power steering noise. The short of it is: to change the timing belt they need to loosen the power steering pump and push it to the side. This puts stress on the already brittle old o-ring causing the seal you had to be broken.
So, all you really needed was a new o-ring.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Severin
LOL, I had the EXACT experience. Took the car in for a timing belt and walked out with a horrible power steering noise. The short of it is: to change the timing belt they need to loosen the power steering pump and push it to the side. This puts stress on the already brittle old o-ring causing the seal you had to be broken.
So, all you really needed was a new o-ring.

They told me they had nothing to do with power steering when changing the timing belt, pulley and water pump. So what I need is the o ring and replace ? thats it?

this can be a DIY? or shop?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

They told me they had nothing to do with power steering when changing the timing belt, pulley and water pump. So what I need is the o ring and replace ? thats it?

this can be a DIY? or shop?
Absolutely not true. Step 6 in the Service Manual for Timing Belt replacement calls for the removal the power steering pump mounting and adjustment bolts so that the belt can be removed. This minimal shift in position is enough to break loose the o-ring connection. Besides, they are bending and pushing the hoses out of the way to work too.
Since I was in a hurry and needed a car the next day, I picked up the o-ring from the dealer and had the shop that did the timing belt install it for me. It's a really tight area to work in and I needed it done quick - I did try but got frustrated. It's literally a $3 part or so. DO NOT let them tell you you need a new pump.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Thanks!

So the o ring in question is #23 in pic above?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks!

So the o ring in question is #23 in pic above?
The exact part # is 91370-SV4-000; it is a $0.60 part.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Thanks again. I will bring that O Ring to HONDA dealer.. they will replace it for me free of charge.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I had that issue as well and it turned out to be a leak at the steering box pinion seal. Drove me crazy as I replaced the 0-ring and then the pump (which actually was damaged from age and overheating from cavitating fluid). The steering box would suck in air while the engine was running. The way I found it was during an oil change I turned the wheels to get better access to the oil filter and out of the corner of my eye I saw a drip. If you can, raise the front wheels and saw the steering back and forth and see if there is any fluid dripping from the steering box.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks again. I will bring that O Ring to HONDA dealer.. they will replace it for me free of charge.
Cool.. the HONDA dealer doesn't have it????
Old 01-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Yes they do!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes they do!
What's the update? Did you replace the o-ring?