Power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016 | 05:52 PM
Instructor

Power steering issue

I went to do a power steering flush by sucking out old fluid with turkey baster and then hook up hose to return line while the front of the car was jacked up.... With the car being jacked up I had a friend start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock. I thought I had all fluid out and then filled resisvor with new fluid. Now the fluid is way cleaner but not totally. In order for me to get all the old fluid out should I've kept sucking out fluid after I put in new until I saw new fluid coming out or was it because the car was jacked up and there wasn't enough pressure to get it all out? I'm thinking of doing it again but after flushing out the old, I'll continue to turn wheel lock to lock until I see the new fluid coming out of the return line?any suggestions would be great. Thank you
Old 03-06-2016 | 03:10 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Acuratl3535;15696127]I went to do a power steering flush by sucking out old fluid with turkey baster and then hook up hose to return line while the front of the car was jacked up.... With the car being jacked up I had a friend start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock. I thought I had all fluid out and then filled resisvor with new fluid. Now the fluid is way cleaner but not totally. In order for me to get all the old fluid out should I've kept sucking out fluid after I put in new until I saw new fluid coming out or was it because the car was jacked up and there wasn't enough pressure to get it all out? I'm thinking of doing it again but after flushing out the old, I'll continue to turn wheel lock to lock until I see the new fluid coming out of the return line?any suggestions would be great. I also remebered that I did this procedure with the red resisvor
Cap off. Any help???
Old 03-08-2016 | 04:08 PM
Unregistered Member

There will always be some residual fluid left. PS fluid is pretty cheap, so you can do this process a couple more times and call it a day.

Jacking the car up shouldn't change much, but you could just turn the wheels on some cardboard if you want.
Old 03-10-2016 | 09:43 PM
Team Owner

its ok with car slightly jacked up- or cardboard under the wheels- the idea is reduce surface friction while wheels are turned and steering fluid is nill.

The book calls for placing the return line (upper hose) into container
See diy for using a hose -clamped over the return line- to extend it down to a gallon jug outside the car.
No need to suck out fluid- just use return line and idle rpm while helper turns wheels full lock to lock- slowly.
When fluid stops- turn engine off and add more fluid to res.
Start engine again- back and forth ALL the way to the ends...

May take a few to several times- even a day of driving to really get it clean

Use HONDA fluid (definitely preferred) or a honda approved fluid- there are a few options and threads on the subject.
The PS system is one of the picky ones~